What's new

Wooden Bowl

I picked up a lidded monkeypod bowl to stick some old Williams luxury soap in. So far, so good as far as warpage goes.

It helps to keep Mrs. Topgumby from getting too warped over the sight of uncovered mugs of soap on the counter, too.

If anything I think wooden bowls would have a disadvantage against a proper sealable tuppaware bowl or something, but I like the look so much I don't mind, it just adds a bit more to the experience, IMO. :D

I am a new shaver starting off with the AoS sandalwood in the wooden bowl. I am curious how your AoS wooden bowl is holding up. Do you happen to know the type of wood and how it is treated? Thank you.

I think it is Rosewood...

I originally only ordered refills and used seal-able tubs, I now buy the bowls and use the soaps in seal-able tubs :blush:. I find them aesthetically pleasing and maybe think I am gaining kudos as they sit next to my niche perfumes. It certainly impresses me and ................well just me :001_smile.

Is there any effect on the brush, wear or discoloration, when one reaches the bottom of the bowl - bare wood? I would guess the bottom of the bowl is finished (varnish?).

Is there any effect on the brush, wear or discoloration, when one reaches the bottom of the bowl - bare wood? I would guess the bottom of the bowl is finished (varnish?).

As for the one and only wooden bowl I have where I have made it to the bottom, it was finished and smooth. I did not notice any discoloration problems.

I managed to mess up the finish on a C&E bowl when removing the sticker (I repurposed it for another soap). Cyanoacrylate fixed it right up — just a dab, then spread and smooth it out with a napkin or something.

The bowl seems ok, i bought it at Christmas 09 via this company 'http://thechap.net/content/section_shop/grooming.html'

No warping as such but some of the finish is starting to come off at the lid contact points. I may just hold off buying another bowl and wait until the soap is gone on my TOBS wood bowl and use the same wood bowl for some of my spare pucks. I think soap pucks probably retain their scent better if they are kept in something that doesn't allow them to air to much.

Discovered a distinct plus for the wooden bowl idea this morning! Got soap on the outside of my pyrex bowl, it slipped, and almost ended up on the floor! Suspect it might have shattered; suspect wood wouldn't have!

I like wooden things hence the reason why most my soaps are in wooden bowls!

Me too... love the wooden bowls. I find them aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. All my soaps are in wooden bowls and I wouldn't have it any other way. No glass jars, no tupperware, no mugs... nope.

For me my wooden bowl is mostly for looks. However it belonged to my great grandfather. It mostly sits on the sink top since I don't use my Cade soap very much. But every morning it's a good reminder of him and the man he was. So I guess for some the bowls could be heirloom pieces. I keep the bowl with a single ring old type on it. I think it adds a little touch of vintage class to my bathroom.

I have been using a AOS bowl for about 3 years now and it hasnt warped or had any problems at all....I usually pp the soap out every now and then and just wet it and wipe it down and it looks like new...on the inside atleast

The wooden bowls I have were treated so they don't warp, at least not through a few dozen pucks. Maybe if you use a dripping wet brush to load up you can get a wooden bowl to warp. I think wooden bowls are utilitarian and good looking.

Do you know if the refill or one will fit in the bowl of another, such as GFT in a Caswell Massey bowl?

If we will know soap dimensions each of them, your question will be answered. I started a thread while ago for soap dimensions and I hope other members will help to expand it. Here is the link.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=177330

BTW wooden bowls just look cool but here is one of my solution.

Last edited:
I agree, the only reason to use a wooden bowl is for aesthetics. Having said that, I enjoy a good wooden bowl. I'm too cheap to buy the ones sold by the high-end manufacturers, so I decided to make my own. It helps if you have a lathe and know how to use it. :biggrin: Here's one I made for my MWF:

proxy.php

Last edited:
My wife bought me a GFT soap with the wooden bowl. When I finished the soap, I tossed the bowl thinking that moisture and wood don't mix too well. I regretted it after finding B&B soon after, and jumped at the opportunity to pick up C&E Sandalwood in a wooden bowl. Now I keep the lid off the soap to allow things to dry out a little bit before replacing the cover later in the day.

It is $14.40 for a puck of Sienna or Nomad in the wooden bowl (+SH) on the site now...

I like wooden bowls as well, even if its only for aesthetics. Its difficult to find them reasonably priced, though. I have a few from Gentlemen's Best.

I agree that the only reason to use a wooden shaving bowl is aesthetics. Having said that, I like them, but I'm too cheap to pay the price that the major soap vendors charge. Since one of my hobbies is woodturning, I decided to make my own. I made this one out of cherry and it now holds MWF, grated to fit.

proxy.php

Top Bottom