What's new

Bowl talk

I stumbled across this on Amazon. I really prefer rubber to plastic when I'm not using my scuttle. I think that rubber retains heat better than plastic. I also prefer short handle brushes, so the Marvy mug, which is excellent, just doesn't work well for me. Since they have ignored my request to manufacturer a shorter mug, I keep looking for the perfect bowl. So I found a "Dental Lab Rubber Mixing Bowl" by Easyinsmile in the large size. It cost me $13.00. It worked very well. It seemed to retain some warmth between the 1st and 2nd lathering. If it were thicker I know it would. I might just use my infrared thermometer to measure the difference this weekend between this and my Yates bowl. Being flexible, it fits well in the hand. No need to clamp down on it to keep it in the hand. The inner surface is smooth. I wondered how it would later when I bought it. No issues with lathering at all. If one was wanting some texture I would imagine that several drops from a hot glue gun would do the trick, but I really don't think it is necessary. Pics below. For size reference, the brushes used in the pics are my Semogue 830 and my Zenith M18. I'm not sure what the rules are for links to other sellers but if you ping me I'll share the addy if you can't find it on Amazon.

20240319_004953.jpg
20240319_005005.jpg

20240319_005023.jpg
20240319_005215.jpg

20240319_010140.jpg

I stumbled across this on Amazon. I really prefer rubber to plastic when I'm not using my scuttle. I think that rubber retains heat better than plastic. I also prefer short handle brushes, so the Marvy mug, which is excellent, just doesn't work well for me. Since they have ignored my request to manufacturer a shorter mug, I keep looking for the perfect bowl. So I found a "Dental Lab Rubber Mixing Bowl" by Easyinsmile in the large size. It cost me $13.00. It worked very well. It seemed to retain some warmth between the 1st and 2nd lathering. If it were thicker I know it would. I might just use my infrared thermometer to measure the difference this weekend between this and my Yates bowl. Being flexible, it fits well in the hand. No need to clamp down on it to keep it in the hand. The inner surface is smooth. I wondered how it would later when I bought it. No issues with lathering at all. If one was wanting some texture I would imagine that several drops from a hot glue gun would do the trick, but I really don't think it is necessary. Pics below. For size reference, the brushes used in the pics are my Semogue 830 and my Zenith M18. I'm not sure what the rules are for links to other sellers but if you ping me I'll share the addy if you can't find it on Amazon.

View attachment 1814788View attachment 1814789
View attachment 1814790View attachment 1814791
View attachment 1814792
I have to tell you folks that this bowl has taken over my shaving. This thing is awesome. It took a few times to learn to not squeeze so hard but it's now my everyday bowl. I'm sure once the weather gets cold here in Arizona again, I'll revert back to my scuttle, but for now, this is THE bowl!

I have to tell you folks that this bowl has taken over my shaving. This thing is awesome. It took a few times to learn to not squeeze so hard but it's now my everyday bowl. I'm sure once the weather gets cold here in Arizona again, I'll revert back to my scuttle, but for now, this is THE bowl!
Like I said, I really like this bowl. So much in fact, I ordered the small size to use while traveling. Another fantastic purchase (and very inexpensive). Below is a side by side of the large and the small with brushes (the Omega is my go to travel brush) to give some perspective. The other photo is just the small with a couple small brushes I have used in the past during travel.

20240424_143046.jpg

20240424_143125.jpg

The technical bar for lather bowls is fairly low. Just find something that looks nice and is a good fit for your hands and brushes. Personally I like something with a bit history and style. It fits in with my den..

I tried many bowls over the years but have settled on three that I use depending on my mood and brush; a vintage sterling silver bowl, a hand painted bone china bowl and a modern Spode Blue Italian bowl.

I have not found any benefit in ridges. If anything they hinder my ability to pick up soap. Unbreakable is not high on my list of requirements either. I’m just careful not to drop things. I live on the edge. I even drink from cups made out of real glass. Sometimes crystal… Crazy!

IMG_2968.jpeg

IMG_8730.jpeg

IMG_8181.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom