What's new

Wooden Bowl

Wondering if the wooden bowl some soaps come with has any practical function other than aesthetics. They look pleasing, but I recall one gentleman's recent photo of one whose lid had warped badly after (I think) the first puck that came with it was gone. Which leads me to wonder how reusable they really are. Reason I am wondering is because I am thinking about getting a cake of GFT rose, which I would put into a pyrex bowl unless there is a better reason to get it in the wooden bowl. Concerned that the constant exposure of the wood to water and lather makes wood a poor choice. Thoughts? Thanks!

I haven't used a wood bowl, so I can't really say anything on the longevity of it. To me, unless it's something you are going to have out on display, I don't see the point. They don't look like they seal very well, so a gladware or pyrex bowl seems like it might help keep the scent in.

That being said, I just ordered a razor stand on ebay that comes with soap in a wood bowl. It's nothing special, so the soap is probably garbage. I just ordered it because it was cheaper than buying just the stand alone. I'll be able to make some sort of a comparison soon.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I like my AOS wooden bowl. I just buy a refill soap and I'm good to go. I currently have a TOBS lavender puck in that same bowl. It almost fit perfectly, but was a little tall, so the lid did not fit snugly down at first. A little use fixed that.

My GFT Rose soap also came with the bowl. I have not used it enough to know the future of the bowl, but so far so good.

I think it is more a matter of aesthetics, than practical necessity. I think quality soaps benefit from quality presentation. YMMV, however.

I think if you're a collector, you definitely want to get the wooden bowl that comes with whatever soap you're buying. Personally, If I'm going to buy a soap, I like to buy the wooden bowl that comes with it rather than the refill.

Especially if you're going to buy a high end soap. When I bought my Penhaligon's English Fern, I bought the bowl with it. Same with the Trumphers Violett soap, and Caswell Massey Greenbriar soap.

I don't think there is any additional functionality over a plastic bowl. I keep my wooden bowls in the hall closet, and grab a bowl (leaving the lid) before I shower - never had any problems with lids warping.

I too have a few soap pucks that i'd like to put to use, just to try them really rather than just let them sit in my shave den. SSAD seems to have bitten far worse and deeper than any of my other disorders although i feel I'm getting it under control now. I'm up to about a dozen and expecting a delivery shortly of a bowl of Tabac and a puck of Peckniff's English fern. I'm thinking about buying one of those generic wooden bowls you see on ebay so i can use some of the pucks i don't have bowls for.

These are the ones i currently have-
The wood bowl is TOBS 'sandal wood' and my shave mug has Boots own in it. The Old Spice Mug contains a local grown Cedar Soap which smells and lathers nicely.

It's nothing more than aesthetics.

I don't own any wood bowls, as I consider them to be a waste of money.

Might buy one at some point just to have one, but you can save a good chunk of change on the higher end soaps by simply buying the refill.

If the wood bowl adds to your shave experience, they certainly buy one, but I think the money saved is better spent on other things, and besides an Old Spice/ or Seaforth mug is far more iconic of US shaving than a wooden bowl.

I think if you're a collector, you definitely want to get the wooden bowl that comes with whatever soap you're buying. Personally, If I'm going to buy a soap, I like to buy the wooden bowl that comes with it rather than the refill.

Especially if you're going to buy a high end soap. When I bought my Penhaligon's English Fern, I bought the bowl with it. Same with the Trumphers Violett soap, and Caswell Massey Greenbriar soap.

Changing the subject, how is the Greenbriar soap? :001_rolle - CM's shaving soaps have never had good reviews..

I use a wooden bowl -- it's a Japanese cup-like bowl intended to be used for miso soup. Works great and is aesthetically beautiful.

looks only.

i like them, but theyre just for looks. so long as they dont get too wet, i cant see them warping

The wooden bowl is purely for looks as you could put the puck in a coffee mug and load your brush.

That being said, I have several in the bowls which the company sells, I have a couple in custom engraved bowls from thirdeye. I've had no problems with reusing bowls or having them warp. I've seen bowls from the 60s still looking good. Some see it as a waste of money as it often doubles the price of the soap. On some, I've just bought refills and put them in old spice mugs.

You decide. They are nice but not necessary.

I've actually been getting into the Haslinger soaps lately, which only come as a 2.5" puck with no option for a bowl, etc. I plan on carefully peeling off the label and re-attaching it to these from Specialty bottle... Heck, only $0.75!

proxy.php

The wooden bowls are generally treated so they aren't terribly affected by the water. The only one I've had that has warped significantly was a T&H, the lid warped enough to crack. My AoS lids warp slightly under heavy use, but straighten out once they dry out. Same for Penhaligons, Trumpers, and DR Harris. Never had a problem reusing the bowls multiple times. Even when the lids warp it's not a big deal, they don't need to seal the top, just slow down the evaporation so the soap stays soft for the next day's use.

Be careful with those plastic bowls. One guy here about four years ago managed to ruin a Plisson HMW and a large Rooney Finest - the top edge of one of his plastic bowls had a burr that was fraying and cutting the hairs. Spent all that money on those beautiful brushes then cheaped out on the bowls, and got a fairly ironic lesson on false economy while he was at it.

I haven't been too concerned with getting the wood bowls. IT literally doubles the cost of the item.

I think every wet shaver should get the Tabac Bowl, and MWF bowl though

I've actually been getting into the Haslinger soaps lately, which only come as a 2.5" puck with no option for a bowl, etc. I plan on carefully peeling off the label and re-attaching it to these from Specialty bottle... Heck, only $0.75!

proxy.php

That's a nice jar!:w00t:

I too have a few soap pucks that i'd like to put to use, just to try them really rather than just let them sit in my shave den. SSAD seems to have bitten far worse and deeper than any of my other disorders although i feel I'm getting it under control now. I'm up to about a dozen and expecting a delivery shortly of a bowl of Tabac and a puck of Peckniff's English fern. I'm thinking about buying one of those generic wooden bowls you see on ebay so i can use some of the pucks i don't have bowls for.

These are the ones i currently have-
The wood bowl is TOBS 'sandal wood' and my shave mug has Boots own in it. The Old Spice Mug contains a local grown Cedar Soap which smells and lathers nicely.

I am a new shaver starting off with the AoS sandalwood in the wooden bowl. I am curious how your AoS wooden bowl is holding up. Do you happen to know the type of wood and how it is treated? Thank you.

I am a new shaver starting off with the AoS sandalwood in the wooden bowl. I am curious how your AoS wooden bowl is holding up. Do you happen to know the type of wood and how it is treated? Thank you.

The bowl seems ok, i bought it at Christmas 09 via this company 'http://thechap.net/content/section_shop/grooming.html'

No warping as such but some of the finish is starting to come off at the lid contact points. I may just hold off buying another bowl and wait until the soap is gone on my TOBS wood bowl and use the same wood bowl for some of my spare pucks. I think soap pucks probably retain their scent better if they are kept in something that doesn't allow them to air to much.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have several pucks in wooden bowls by different Mfg's.
Never had an issue with warpage.
I face lather so the wooden bowl works just fine for me, and it doesn't look like an industrial kitchen spilled over into my bathroom with Pyrex and Tupperware bowls all over the place.

The bowl seems ok, i bought it at Christmas 09 via this company 'http://thechap.net/content/section_shop/grooming.html'

No warping as such but some of the finish is starting to come off at the lid contact points. I may just hold off buying another bowl and wait until the soap is gone on my TOBS wood bowl and use the same wood bowl for some of my spare pucks. I think soap pucks probably retain their scent better if they are kept in something that doesn't allow them to air to much.

I am familiar with "The Chap" website. I'm also quite fond of "The Idler" website from the UK.

Top Bottom