What's new

New shaving bowl

I am looking for a new shaving bowl. I had a wooden one that I loved but it broke. I then bought a metal one, but it is very smooth and I don’t like how it sends the soap out of the bowl. Do you guys have a suggestion for a larger shaving bowl that has texture on the inside? Within reason I am not too concerned about price.

Reactions: Kix
The bowls from The CaYuen Workshop are pretty nice. I have the medium size and it's great with even my larger brushes.

1709100160158.png

The Captain's Choice bowls are also great and popular here as well. Can't go wrong with either!

1709100303670.png

I've had a Captain's Choice Copper Lather bowl for at least a couple of years. I like it so much I got rid of my other lather bowls. I recently upgraded & now have a beautiful ceramic lather bowl from Captain's Choice. Being ceramic, it's not for everyone. I absolutely love my copper bowl & ceramic lather bowl from Captains Choice. You can't go wrong with either. Please let us know what you decide.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Another vote for the CaYuen bowl, though I chose the large size. I'm sure medium would also work unless you do a face and head shave.... Then the large might be more appropriate.

I don't know why I chose the large size, truth be told. I always end up with lather left over, but soap isn't that expensive so........

I have 4, count 'em.... <eg> Captain's Choice heavy copper bowls: 2 Aqua Marine, a Obsidian and the heavy weight plain copper bowl which I polished to a bright shine thx to @SgtCrppls 's example months ago now. All 4 are used for accent pieces around our house. I have never lathered in one. Odd, I know... but they are so beautiful, they are nice to have out all the time just to look at.

I have a Sara Bonnyman bowl and scuttle that I love, along with a bowl my kid made me in her pottery class that is excellent. However, for variety, I bought a Lickimat Wobble Dog bowl for a very low price on Amazon, and it makes the craziest lathers that I can get bowl lathering. It's quite large, made of silicone, tons of texture inside and is pretty much indestructible. Cheers

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a Captain’s Choice Copper lather bowl and several of his discontinued ceramic lather bowls. I can’t fault them at all. Have a look in some of the Vendor Stores we have here on the forum. I am sure that you could find one to your liking among our fantastic Vendors.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
It honestly makes no sense to me why CC stopped making their ceramic gear, they were a staple that everybody loved. It feels like to me that they just decided to hang up the towel in order to make room for the copper goods. I have CC ceramic bowls and scuttle, but I won't bother showing pictures of those this time around, don't want to enable someone who arn't even able to get the gear in the first place.

I never did get any of CC's copper goods, although that Obsidian has been calling to me for awhile now, I just can't get the finances in order to make sense out of purchase of that bowl, since I am in debt with other things at the moment lol. But yeah, that Obsidian man, I would love to have that bowl. Like @Phoenixkh said, bowls of that caliber, make nice decor pieces for the home, I don't blame Kim at all!

I do have one other bowl that isn't CC though, a Cayune Workshop lather bowl. I'm pretty sure I enabled Kim to get his bowl after he saw mine lol! My bowl from CW, is none other then the Dark Nebula large bowl, for which I have the matching brush to. Oh yes, I went all in on that Etsy purchase! I can tell you right now, its the strongest, thickest, polly urethane lather bowl your ever going to find. Its got deep ridges that put a turbo on your brush lathering abilities, regardless of which one you use.

Its got a nice rounded lip, so as to prevent you launching the soap lather out of the bowl, having a man down situation like GeoFatBoy always does lol. Because the bowl is PU, it means it can be dropped without breaking, nor will it break your tiled floor if you have one. The bowls are hand made by an amazing artist, just look at this beauty of mine, tell me you don't like this?

proxy.php
proxy.php

IMG_4101.JPG
proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh, you know you want this bowl!​

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Another vote for the CaYuen bowl, though I chose the large size. I'm sure medium would also work unless you do a face and head shave.... Then the large might be more appropriate.

I don't know why I chose the large size, truth be told. I always end up with lather left over, but soap isn't that expensive so........
I love my CaYuen bowl. :)

I have the Cayuen Domino large bowl. I had Cayuen modify the base to the size of the medium bowl, making it easier to hold and still giving me a large container. The bowl is great. I also have the Pereira bowl, which is equally as good as the Cayuen, just no where near as beautiful. I alternate the bowls with each shave. NOW, you guys have piqued my curiosity about the CC Obsidian bowl. I have got to stop reading this forum :):)
You can't go wrong with any of the above.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It honestly makes no sense to me why CC stopped making their ceramic gear, they were a staple that everybody loved. It feels like to me that they just decided to hang up the towel in order to make room for the copper goods. I have CC ceramic bowls and scuttle, but I won't bother showing pictures of those this time around, don't want to enable someone who arn't even able to get the gear in the first place.

I never did get any of CC's copper goods, although that Obsidian has been calling to me for awhile now, I just can't get the finances in order to make sense out of purchase of that bowl, since I am in debt with other things at the moment lol. But yeah, that Obsidian man, I would love to have that bowl. Like @Phoenixkh said, bowls of that caliber, make nice decor pieces for the home, I don't blame Kim at all!

I do have one other bowl that isn't CC though, a Cayune Workshop lather bowl. I'm pretty sure I enabled Kim to get his bowl after he saw mine lol! My bowl from CW, is none other then the Dark Nebula large bowl, for which I have the matching brush to. Oh yes, I went all in on that Etsy purchase! I can tell you right now, its the strongest, thickest, polly urethane lather bowl your ever going to find. Its got deep ridges that put a turbo on your brush lathering abilities, regardless of which one you use.

Its got a nice rounded lip, so as to prevent you launching the soap lather out of the bowl, having a man down situation like GeoFatBoy always does lol. Because the bowl is PU, it means it can be dropped without breaking, nor will it break your tiled floor if you have one. The bowls are hand made by an amazing artist, just look at this beauty of mine, tell me you don't like this?

proxy.php
proxy.php

View attachment 1803644
proxy.php

proxy.php

Chris, I emailed Scott a few weeks ago. He is looking for another pot thrower to make all his ceramic stuff. The one he was using retired... or at least, is no longer available to him. I expect we'll see all the ceramic products Captain's Choice usually has back on the market soon.

Edit: And yes.... though I'd seen the CaYuen bowls when I first started wet shaving, I resisted the urge to buy one because I thought I would have too much lather left over. I had seen them used by guys who did face and head shaves and needed that large bowl filled to the top.

After I figured out how to make good lather for myself, I switched to the Timeless modest blue shaving bowl... They are quite nice, esp. for the price. But when I saw your CaYuen bowl, I thought... It's time... Go ahead and pamper yourself... I can't tell you how much I enjoy lathering with the CaYuen large bowl. I use a set amount of soap... and the bowl isn't full of lather... just enough for my 4 pass shave and touch-ups, if needed.

So, Thanks, Chris... You helped me jump into the deep end and I'm loving it. <eg>

proxy.php
proxy.php

View attachment 1803644
proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow...so these are unbreakable?

They sure are pretty.

I have 4, count 'em.... <eg> Captain's Choice heavy copper bowls: 2 Aqua Marine, a Obsidian and the heavy weight plain copper bowl which I polished to a bright shine thx to @SgtCrppls 's example months ago now. All 4 are used for accent pieces around our house. I have never lathered in one. Odd, I know... but they are so beautiful, they are nice to have out all the time just to look at.
Your comments about the beauty of a Captain's Choice bowl inspired me to buy one in the Obsidian colorway and the heavy variety. I have a couple of cream soaps that I lather in the bowl, and it is fantastic and looks great!

I also have the Timeless razor plastic shaving bowl and love it. I was using a stainless steel one I grabbed on Amazon and didn’t like it very much…the clanking when building a lather got annoying. So after looking around here I decided to try the Timeless and it’s great. Nice and big and it builds a great lather.

Top Bottom