What's new

Woo! Pics of my ABC Empire!

I actually really enjoy shaving with my ABC pocket razor. It has such a elegant feel to it. Doesn't shave aggressive enough for me, but it'll do the job, and you'll enjoy using such an old razor.

Nice looking set!

Very nice, Chris.

She really is quite stunning. The most Victorian safety razor I've ever seen. I think the only razors that can rival it's beauty are the removable wedge razors that were popular for an oh so short period of time in between straights and safetys.

I'm just glad I got to see her even in passing.

That sure is a great looking razor! I've been looking for one for the past couple days, but without any luck. How do these shave? I have a vague recollection of reading something somewhere that these older type gillettes were originally designed for a blade that was slightly thicker and that current de blades are thinner, which creates a bit of a problem for using it as a shaver. Does this sound at all true to anyone's experience?

That sure is a great looking razor! I've been looking for one for the past couple days, but without any luck. How do these shave? I have a vague recollection of reading something somewhere that these older type gillettes were originally designed for a blade that was slightly thicker and that current de blades are thinner, which creates a bit of a problem for using it as a shaver. Does this sound at all true to anyone's experience?

While the older razors did use thicker blades, they do just find with modern DE blades.

Some people feel they need to be shimmed, but I've never found that to be the case.

They take, IMHO, a somewhat more careful touch, but they are still excellent shavers. I have a 1908 Pocket Edition and enjoy using something that's over 100 years old - and still works! - from time to time.

They're too aggressive to be my every day razor, but YMMV.

While not a pocket edition, my 1912 Single Ring is still an Old Type, thus should have about the same head. Used for the first time Tuesday, and it is a great shaver!

That Empire set is a beauty. I may have to become a contributor earlier than I'd planned, so I could qualify for the PIF :w00t:.

Top Bottom