What's new

Wolfman WR3

Wolfman WR3 1.00 OC w/WR1H handle
DG Contemplation soap
Semogue Mistura brush
PAA Cube 2.0 pre shave soap
Duke Cannon Ice Cold aftershave balm

IMG_9500.jpeg

Ok well I last shaved Monday morning with the Atelier Durdan Vestige +++ (Ultra) GEM razor and that was cutting through 2 day growth. Today I used the WR3 1.0 OC also cutting down 2 day growth.

Final results were fairly similar BBS on both. The WR3 feels smoother during the shave and I like the weight and heft of it. The Vestige just seems too light but that's probably what they were going for. The result is BBS so that's good.

If I had to pick between the two of these with them both being relatively new razors to me with under 5 shaves each, I'd say I'd prefer the WR3. Preferences would be the OC baseplate, the extra weight of the WR3, and most likely the blade gap. The Vestige +++ is the largest gap they offer and the blade exposure is I want to say IIRC .15 positive exposure. There was a graph from James at Wolfman about there blade gap and exposure correlation so based on 1.00 blade gap, the exposure would far exceed the.15 positive exposure more like in the mid to upper 20s or low 30s.

If I had to pick between the two of these with them both being relatively new razors to me with under 5 shaves each, I'd say I'd prefer the WR3. Preferences would be the OC baseplate, the extra weight of the WR3, and most likely the blade gap.

Mostly agree other than the blade gap. I've been getting great results with a .25 OC and don't want a shave so close I don't need to shave the next day. Admittedly, the .25 handles 3 days+ growth without a hitch.

I've had the .25 for a while now and have been testing this tiny gap against the .35 and .40 open combs. While the .40 is hardly an aggressive plate, the comfort of the .25 is unmatched. The ATG pass is so smooth. Blade exposure is neutral and close shaves are absolutely possible with this gap. It's not like the negative exposure of a mild WR4 which goes down to something like -0.15 on the mildest setting.

Clearly, I don't need all three plates and the differences are so slight after 3 passes anyway.

There is very little difference comparing steel and bronze, in the same gap anyway. I have the standard .40 SB in both metals. The difference is weight really. I suppose bronze would have more of an impact in the higher gaps.

This gap won't be for everyone but it works very well for me.

I'm often tempted by the Vestige and enjoyed it very much on a pass around but it is borders on too light. Maybe I will get one eventually but in no hurry. I don't think a brass Vestige would add much weight to the head and I still have concerns about the durability of the design of the baseplate and thread in soft brass. More so in copper.

Mostly agree other than the blade gap. I've been getting great results with a .25 OC and don't want a shave so close I don't need to shave the next day. Admittedly, the .25 handles 3 days+ growth without a hitch.

I've had the .25 for a while now and have been testing this tiny gap against the .35 and .40 open combs. While the .40 is hardly an aggressive plate, the comfort of the .25 is unmatched. The ATG pass is so smooth. Blade exposure is neutral and close shaves are absolutely possible with this gap. It's not like the negative exposure of a mild WR4 which goes down to something like -0.15 on the mildest setting.

Clearly, I don't need all three plates and the differences are so slight after 3 passes anyway.

There is very little difference comparing steel and bronze, in the same gap anyway. I have the standard .40 SB in both metals. The difference is weight really. I suppose bronze would have more of an impact in the higher gaps.

This gap won't be for everyone but it works very well for me.

I'm often tempted by the Vestige and enjoyed it very much on a pass around but it is borders on too light. Maybe I will get one eventually but in no hurry. I don't think a brass Vestige would add much weight to the head and I still have concerns about the durability of the design of the baseplate and thread in soft brass. More so in copper.
It was your concern about brass or copper being too soft of a metal for the Vestige which is why I went with SS. It feels kind of fragile how thin the metal is. Again, I prefer the WR3 for the beefiness of it and the weight. I'm glad I got the 1.00 and the OC. I pretty much only do 1 pass with this and slight touch ups ATG or XTG. Having said that I don't think I've ever done a proper 3 pass shave, I don't have the time for that.

Top Bottom