What's new

How far off is a Gillette New SC from more expensive razors (Wolfman, Blackbird etc)?

Does it shave better, worse, differently after it was replated? That is the $60 question.

I think it is smoother, but the main reason for the replate was to have a wonderful vintage design that looks and shaves like a new razor. Sure, you could polish the razor down to bare brass and keep polishing it every time it gets tarnished, but to me that's a hassle. My net cost was lower than many new razors even with the replate, and my 1930s vintage razor should last indefinitely with very little maintenance.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Does they shave better, worse, differently after it was replated? That is the $60 question.
I haven't shaved with the re-plates yet. The plating is so thin.... I doubt it will affect the way they shave in any way.... but they both look pristine to me now... so it makes a difference to me.

I realize, cost matters a lot when we have limited funds. $60 or $80 for gold plating could buy a razor or two. I'm fortunate enough to be able to set aside some money each month so I can save up for things I want. I saved up money for several months for a Wolfman WR4 razor head, but decided against it. That freed up the funds for the gold re-plates.

Forgot to say Vintsge is old technology, and manufacturing method.

Blackbird, Wolfman, Carbon, Karve, and other New Techniogy Razors are different.

Like a Midel T Ford, and a New Gt 500 Mustang, both are cars, but way different.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Good quality re-plating should not affect the razor, but since we often hear craftsmen accidentally remove too much material when removing old plating and affect the shaving effect, it is actually difficult to guarantee 100%.

The New SC is an easy-to-find razor. I only paid $15 for it, so the cost of the plating will likely easily exceed that value. Finding a New SC with a beautiful coating may be a cost-effective solution; The New SC I own is moderately polished so that I can store it in two different looks.

"SUN" metal polish
It is easy to buy in Taipei. Just wipe it with tissue paper or cotton cloth, and it will have a good and detailed polishing effect on brass. (Moderate use only recommended)
1717135515692.png

Good quality re-plating should not affect the razor, but since we often hear craftsmen accidentally remove too much material when removing old plating and affect the shaving effect, it is actually difficult to guarantee 100%.

The New SC is an easy-to-find razor. I only paid $15 for it, so the cost of the plating will likely easily exceed that value. Finding a New SC with a beautiful coating may be a cost-effective solution; The New SC I own is moderately polished so that I can store it in two different looks.

"SUN" metal polish
It is easy to buy in Taipei. Just wipe it with tissue paper or cotton cloth, and it will have a good and detailed polishing effect on brass. (Moderate use only recommended)
View attachment 1854789
Polishing is another option, especially as the tolerances of the News are not space age.

Embrace the brass!

Polishing is another option, especially as the tolerances of the News are not space age.

Embrace the brass!

You might be surprised since the New design precisely locates the blade by the four corners instead of just using the center posts like many other razors do. The tolerances are perfectly fine for shaving with. Really, the only thing to watch out for is bent teeth on the combs. You are less likely to find that on the Short Comb version.

You find the razor that fits you best. Overall I prefer the Gillette safety bars out of any other razor, including a WR2, Lupo, and Gamechanger. A few of the open combs like the turn to opens and English flat bottom new are really nice as well. I have an SC and LC but they don’t see much use.

Try the cheap stuff and make your own decision if it’s worth investing in the more expensive variants. I think replates are worth it.
IMG_4779.jpeg

You find the razor that fits you best. Overall I prefer the Gillette safety bars out of any other razor, including a WR2, Lupo, and Gamechanger. A few of the open combs like the turn to opens and English flat bottom new are really nice as well. I have an SC and LC but they don’t see much use.

Try the cheap stuff and make your own decision if it’s worth investing in the more expensive variants. I think replates are worth it.View attachment 1855660
Very choice!

Try the cheap stuff and make your own decision if it’s worth investing in the more expensive variants. I think replates are worth it.

First, thoughts on above approach: Agree with @Joezamboni - that's one thing I now do now too, more that I did years ago. When I'm experimenting with new razors, I'll sometimes now try out a user grade or "nice enough" version. If I love it, I'll either replate it or look for a mintier specimen.

For the matter at hand, Vintage Gillette NEW vs Modern "Mid / Higher / High End" Pieces - I humbly share my 2 cents:

TLDR: I started with modern razors and when I discovered the vintage Gillette NEW LC (and SC), I sold off my modern razors and pivoted 100% to vintage Gillettes and explored vintage French razors which was a lot of fun too.

Moderns - my impressions, everyone's M M and W V of course.

- Timeless OC .95 ti - one of my early tries and my top 2 favorite along with Wolfman; had the efficiency that works best for me and smoothness; for me, it makes me think of a Lexxus as a car analogy; the design is beautiful to behold in my opinion and the ti matte finish was also super cool to feel on the hand on skin; also, the lightness was awesome, while the handle was substantive enough to where it did not feel super light like aluminum to me.
- Wolfman - my top 2 favorite; never tried the WR2 but went with the WR1 as it seemed like others reported that it had more blade feel than the WR2. I thought of it like a BMW where you feel the road more with the WR1 (and incidentally, that over-engineered excellence that BMW does well), if you like that type of thing. I felt like this when I went from an Infiniti to a BMW in my younger years. I went with the .80mm SB with the most mirror polish offerred and a WH7 handle - it was breathtaking and amazing in every way -form, feel, and function (FFF). The polished finish was also like a gem. I kind of felt guilty shaving with a $700 work of art and it limited me in investing in other varieties too much while having so much invested in one single razor. One can have multiple rare beautiful vintage Gillettes for the price of the WR1 I had. Loved the way it shaved but I thought that variety would be funner.
- Blackbird - I enjoyed the Blackland ti as my 3rd favorite modern. Tried a Dart but did not get into it.
- Charcoal - tried a couple but I did not get into it.
- Razorock Gamechanger - my impression was that the GC .84P was about 95% dead-on to a Wolfman OC WR1 .74 that I tried. 95% of the efficiency and smoothness. Of course, the Wolfman had a better user experience for me (and user interface), as the tech/software world would call it, from the amazing design and "over-engineered" finish. For my growth/stubble though, I preferred the higher efficiency of the .80mm WR1. I may try the Lupo one of these days ,years later though, because I'm intrigued about other's reports that it is closer to the WR1 .80mm efficiency-wise.

Vintage Gillette NEW LC and SC - the NEW was the mic drop for me🎤.
- For me, had the smoothness and efficiency of the WM WR1 .80mm in my opinion; sold my WM, Timeless, and BL BB and never looked back
- A replated specimen could be had for under $100 (I think I paid around $80 for mine 4 years ago from Backroads and Sportshaving both)
- Started with the NEW LC replated in gold - was blown away with how much smaller it was than the modern razors; also with its smaller scale, was blown away with how beautifully "crafted" it was
- My experience in a nutshell - the US NEW LC and SC are delightful - and one can never go wrong with these in my opinon - but the English Flat Bottom NEW for me was *magical*
- Others I tried: like 4 Fatboys (replated in Rhodium, Nickel, several mint original platings; beautiful to hold and look at, not bad shaver for me at all), Old Type (was harsh and I was not able to get it dialed in; tried a couple), Tech and English FB Tech (all too mild from my technique and not efficient enough for me, again from my technique), NEW RFB (similar to the NEW FB for me but the FB for me was *magical*), NEW Deluxe (to me, was similar to the NI but the NI was smoother for me)
- My End Game: English Flat Bottom NEW, NEW Improved, English Aristocrats 1st Gen. (OC) and 2nd Gen. (SB). These are my noah's ark of prized amazing shavers. I am now starting to collect varietals of the FB NEW.

Top Bottom