What's new

Wizamet Super Iridium: 'Real Word' Comparison to Some Top-Tier Russian Steel

I was kindly offered some Wizamat Super Iridiums by ooggetuige in exchange for some of my favorites. Because Ooggetuige lives in the Netherlands, his sources differ from my vendors.

I will not deal with the interesting question of whether the Wizamet Super Iridiums (which are difficult to come by here in the US) are different from PolSilver Super Iridiums. This is covered well in these threads:https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/250-super-iridium-blades__56073_zoom-jpg.798182/iridium super extra stainless blade the same as polsilver?, and https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blade-wars-polsilver-super-iridium-vs-wizamet-iridium-super.504864/.

Methods. Rather than conduct a double-blinded test, I thought I would do this in 'controlled' fashion using my 'standard, real world' set-up, that I would pick most any morning.

The controls are two other top-tier (IMO) Russian blades that I enjoy, Nacets and GSB. My standard set-up will be my usual prep (warm shower and shampoo), then a badger brush to face-lather one of Haslinger's hard soaps (since it is summer this will be sage, aloe vera or coconut-all top performers).

Then I will load up my daily driver (Wolfman WR1 with WRH2 handle) and go to town. My routine is a three-pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave, followed by a favorite summer AS (Lucky Tiger, Floid vigoroso, Proraso green, or Pinaud clubman). Since I typically get an average of 7 shaves with my top blades, each blade will be used for 1 week of daily shaves, then tossed. I plan to alternate the SI with the other options.

Week 1: Wizamet Super Iridium. Out of the gate the SI proved very smooth and comfortable. It was sharp enough, but very forgiving. The blade performed well for the entire week with only a minor fall off on days 6 and 7. Overall, I got 3 BBS, 3 DFS, and 1 C&C shaves, with only 1 small weeper this week. One nice blade!

Week 2: Gillette Silver Blue. The GSB was not quite as smooth on shave 1 as the SI! This could be just my pickiness as I was being very critical. However, the blade smoothed out nicely and provided for shaves 2-5. Very comfortable blade that performed as expected: smooth, sharp and long-lasting. Overall, I got 3 BBS and 4 DFS, no weepers. Perhaps, because this is one of my go-to blades, this appeared a hair (and just a hair) better than the SI. But the two are very close!

Week 3: Wizamet Super Iridium. Almost an exact repeat of Week 1. Smooth out of the gate. Sharp and comfortable with a minor fall-off after day 5. Overall, I got 3 BBS and 4 DFS shaves, with only 1 small weeper this week. One nice blade!

Week 4: Gillette Nacet. The Natet proved smooth and comfortable all week. Nothing to criticize! Totally comfortable blade that performed as expected: smooth, sharp and long-lasting. Overall, I got 3 BBS and 4 DFS, no weepers. Perhaps, because this is one of my go-to blades, this appeared a hair (perhaps not that much) better than the SI. But the two are very close!

Conclusions: It is very difficult for me to criticize any of these top-tier blades. The Wizamet SI is one nice blade! Definitely worth a try for any fan of Russian steel!

I favor Russian blades for the most part. If the opportunity presents itself, I'll have to give these a shot.

Nice review, BigJ. I've only used a Wizamet Iridium once, and it was exceptional. Definitely belongs on the top shelf with the other great Russian blades.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Comprehensive review, thanks.

I have one of these blades yet to test. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing if it performs as well, or even better than Polsilver for me.

The Nacet is a very nice blade. Up there with the best of them so far in my own testing.

I'm curious seeing as you use a Wolfman, which blades stand out to you as the worst you've used?

Comprehensive review, thanks.

I have one of these blades yet to test. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing if it performs as well, or even better than Polsilver for me.

The Nacet is a very nice blade. Up there with the best of them so far in my own testing.

I'm curious seeing as you use a Wolfman, which blades stand out to you as the worst you've used?

Good question! I have tried a lot of blades. I tend to rank blades in three categories: top tier (about 10%), mid tier (around 70%) and bottom tier (around 20%). That is generally good enough as I tend to stick to my top tier with an occasional try at a new blade from time to time.

The 'worst' blades for me are Derby's, no question. (Some do like them.) For the sake of science I did try one in my Wolfman. Unfortunately, no change in my opinion.

Thanks for the review. Looks like the SI is pretty close to your top tier.

Definitely! The only reason that I would not move them into my top tier is that they are hard to get. They do perform!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

I also find many blades middle of the pack with a few standouts at the top and bottom rungs.

I really dont understand why Derby Extra works so well for me. I had thought it was using them in such a rigid razor, but the Wolfman I believe to be King in that arena.

In saying that I honestly havent used one for a while so I'll add them to my review list and hopefully, my opinion hasnt changed! lol

Thanks for the reply.

I also find many blades middle of the pack with a few standouts at the top and bottom rungs.

I really dont understand why Derby Extra works so well for me. I had thought it was using them in such a rigid razor, but the Wolfman I believe to be King in that arena.

In saying that I honestly havent used one for a while so I'll add them to my review list and hopefully, my opinion hasnt changed! lol

As we say YMMV! This is especially true for blades IMO.

I also think that it is important to specify the conditions under which a blade was tested. As you note, my opinion also changes depending on the set-up, especially the razor!

Thanks for your great review bigj! Nice to see u like them I will try the nacet and gsb soon and will review it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G531F met Tapatalk

I was kindly offered some Wizamat Super Iridiums by ooggetuige in exchange for some of my favorites. Because Ooggetuige lives in the Netherlands, his sources differ from my vendors.

I will not deal with the interesting question of whether the Wizamet Super Iridiums (which are difficult to come by here in the US) are different from PolSilver Super Iridiums. This is covered well in these threads:https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/attachments/250-super-iridium-blades__56073_zoom-jpg.798182/iridium super extra stainless blade the same as polsilver?, and https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blade-wars-polsilver-super-iridium-vs-wizamet-iridium-super.504864/.

Methods. Rather than conduct a double-blinded test, I thought I would do this in 'controlled' fashion using my 'standard, real world' set-up, that I would pick most any morning.

The controls are two other top-tier (IMO) Russian blades that I enjoy, Nacets and GSB. My standard set-up will be my usual prep (warm shower and shampoo), then a badger brush to face-lather one of Haslinger's hard soaps (since it is summer this will be sage, aloe vera or coconut-all top performers).

Then I will load up my daily driver (Wolfman WR1 with WRH2 handle) and go to town. My routine is a three-pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave, followed by a favorite summer AS (Lucky Tiger, Floid vigoroso, Proraso green, or Pinaud clubman). Since I typically get an average of 7 shaves with my top blades, each blade will be used for 1 week of daily shaves, then tossed. I plan to alternate the SI with the other options.

Week 1: Wizamet Super Iridium. Out of the gate the SI proved very smooth and comfortable. It was sharp enough, but very forgiving. The blade performed well for the entire week with only a minor fall off on days 6 and 7. Overall, I got 3 BBS, 3 DFS, and 1 C&C shaves, with only 1 small weeper this week. One nice blade!

Week 2: Gillette Silver Blue. The GSB was not quite as smooth on shave 1 as the SI! This could be just my pickiness as I was being very critical. However, the blade smoothed out nicely and provided for shaves 2-5. Very comfortable blade that performed as expected: smooth, sharp and long-lasting. Overall, I got 3 BBS and 4 DFS, no weepers. Perhaps, because this is one of my go-to blades, this appeared a hair (and just a hair) better than the SI. But the two are very close!

Week 3: Wizamet Super Iridium. Almost an exact repeat of Week 1. Smooth out of the gate. Sharp and comfortable with a minor fall-off after day 5. Overall, I got 3 BBS and 4 DFS shaves, with only 1 small weeper this week. One nice blade!

Week 4: Gillette Nacet. The Natet proved smooth and comfortable all week. Nothing to criticize! Totally comfortable blade that performed as expected: smooth, sharp and long-lasting. Overall, I got 3 BBS and 4 DFS, no weepers. Perhaps, because this is one of my go-to blades, this appeared a hair (perhaps not that much) better than the SI. But the two are very close!

Conclusions: It is very difficult for me to criticize any of these top-tier blades. The Wizamet SI is one nice blade! Definitely worth a try for any fan of Russian steel!

For Ooggetuigue living in the Netherlands he may check out if de Vergulde Hand makes blades...BigJ you might ask Ooggetuigue to send you some de Vergulde Hand shaving soap or cream - - The Dutch have been making it for over 450 yeas - great stuff! Matt Burden, Philadelphia

For Ooggetuigue living in the Netherlands he may check out if de Vergulde Hand makes blades...BigJ you might ask Ooggetuigue to send you some de Vergulde Hand shaving soap or cream - - The Dutch have been making it for over 450 yeas - great stuff! Matt Burden, Philadelphia

Vergulde makes Fine Accoutrements soap for them (to their contracted specs.).

Top Bottom