What's new

Winter Outdoor pipe smoking

Hello everyone,

Right now I am living in a rented basement suite which is smoke free, so I smoke outdoor which was wonderful this summer but I've found it rather uncomfortable this fall and with the snow finally flying I don't know how I'll keep this beloved hobby going through the winter months. Does anyone have any advice for winter pipe smoking? Though it worse comes to worse I will smoke in my car.

Cheers,

Justin

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Bundle up and enjoy it.. I love sitting outside at night with snow on the ground everything is quiet and peaceful. It's the perfect time to think.

Bundle up and enjoy it.. I love sitting outside at night with snow on the ground everything is quiet and peaceful. It's the perfect time to think.

+1. I smoke to relax and reflect, so bundling up and enjoying the serenity of winter when it's calm is a great thing. When it gets windy, it tends to not be very enjoyable, but if it's a gentle wind using an old pair of gloves and lightly covering the bowl when not inhaling keeps things burning well.

Thanks for the advice, though for the last two days I've been hit with freezing rain and fast winds... I think I might have to just smoke my cigars in the car for a bit...

I have spent most of my time in a smoke free apartment for the past four years. In my own house I smoke in my easy chair, but at the job site apartment I have to go outside. I find taking a brisk walk every night keeps me toasty. Lately I've been using a wind cap on my pipe and that seems to help.

Winter is usually a pretty good time for strolling and smoking. I can bundle up against winter cold better than I can cope with summer heat. It's also much more agreeable to be out in a blizzard than a thunderstorm, as long as the wind doesn't get up too much.

Are there any public areas near you that you could smoke in? I'm thinking parking garages, picnic sheltes or bus stops as examples. Smoking in most such places is banned where I live, but in the past I've taken advantage of any kind of shelter to get out of wind and rain.

I wish, there is nothing but open spaces in my neighbourhood. I could always go for a walk and smoke but I prefer to relax with a glass and a book.

Do you have a patio or other area of "yours" where you could set up on of those outdoor patio heaters? Where do you live? I wouldn't have dreamed of smoking outside in the winter when I lived near Chicago, but I could do it here, so just wondering how harsh your winters are. After all, Santa used to smoke a pipe too & look where he lives. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Last winter being my first with a pipe, I enjoyed late night walks with the dogs and the pipe. As soon as the sun goes down, the chill comes in but the wind usually stops. I would bundle up, load half a pipe and set out. I am looking forward to it soon. Even better was walking to the fish shack, pipe in hand.......man it had better get cold soon!

I live in Edmonton Alberta, we just had 10 cm (~4 inches) of snow drop on us today after an hour of freezing rain. The average temperature is -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees F) this week... I love smoking my pipe but honestly if I'm not heading out skiing I'm not putting on my long johns to stand outside... but I do like the idea of getting a small tent and heater... maybe I'll hit up the Cabela's and get a small ice fishing tent. I would confuse the hell out of my landlords until they start smoking in it too haha

I've found that a heavy scarf and a good warm hat makes a huge difference. In my cigarette smoking winters at first I'd go out with just a jacket, but the cold air would hit my ears and neck and I would be frozen in no time. But when I added a quick wrap of a warm scarf and a good hat, hopefully one that covers my ears, it would have to be arctic conditions to freeze me during a smoke.

I switched to pipe this spring so I haven't had a pipe smoking winter yet, but I imagine the same would apply. Surely I'll find out soon enough!

Top Bottom