What's new

Is it a summer or winter sport?

I live in north Florida, where the absolute BEST weather time of year is from October through April. While we can get quite cold (by Florida standards) in January and February, the dry cool air for most of that time is tough to beat and a joy to do any and all outdoor activities. That brings me to my question.

Is smoking (either pipe or cigar) a summer sport or winter sport in your area?

I can tell you that where I'm from, this time of year until about October you try to limit outdoor activity to either pool or beach. Sitting outside in my smoking porch, lighting up a pipe, and sweating, even at 9pm, isn't a great time. If I can catch it just after a rain storm, then it's nice, but if it's been dry and hot all day, the night time will be just as uncomfortable.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For me, mid October through March is usually miserable outside. Freezing temperatures and snow is not unusual periodically even till May sometimes.
Summer time, even at peak high temperatures of 90-ish are not a big deal, as on the screened porch there's plenty of shade, and the breeze through the trees makes it quite pleasant and bearable.
That said, it's still a year round sport, just where it happens is different. In the winter, I'm in the garage where the heater keeps it 65, and as soon as the weather is in the 60's, I'm outside on the screened porch.

I live in north Florida, where the absolute BEST weather time of year is from October through April. While we can get quite cold (by Florida standards) in January and February, the dry cool air for most of that time is tough to beat and a joy to do any and all outdoor activities. That brings me to my question.

I can tell you that where I'm from, this time of year until about October you try to limit outdoor activity to either pool or beach. Sitting outside in my smoking porch, lighting up a pipe, and sweating, even at 9pm, isn't a great time. If I can catch it just after a rain storm, then it's nice, but if it's been dry and hot all day, the night time will be just as uncomfortable.

Like you, I live in Florida. But, I am in sub-tropical SW Florida and I find pipe smoking to be a little bit difficult in our Summer months. However, this morning is "cool enough" outside on the lanai with the fan whirling to give it a go.

Next month? Not so much!

I'm already immured in Hell and have been for more than a month. And I can look forward to more of the same until Christmas or later. Last "winter" we didn't get any cooler weather until January 2 or 3.

If I adopt a new kitten this weekend, I'll have to start doing more of my smoking outside. It's not fair to subject a kitten to that -- even though the smoke rises and the A/C dispels most of it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm already immured in Hell and have been for more than a month. And I can look forward to more of the same until Christmas or later. Last "winter" we didn't get any cooler weather until January 2 or 3.

If I adopt a new kitten this weekend, I'll have to start doing more of my smoking outside. It's not fair to subject a kitten to that -- even though the smoke rises and the A/C dispels most of it.
f8.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm not a big fan of Latakia, and thankfully I am not encumbered by anyone else living here, so most of my smoking is done indoors. That makes it a "whenever-the-heck-I-want-to" sport.

Outside - Year round, though it is never too hot, nor cold here where I live.
Having grown up in GA / AL I would state that I prefer cigars during the hotter / humid months and pipes otherwise if I were visiting family in the South.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I have to be outside. SWMBO won’t allow me to smoke indoors. So when the temps are right (say b/t 32-90), I’ll be either on my front porch or back patio. If it’s windy in the winter though, I’ll back the cars out of the garage and set up a chair and sit just inside the garage to stay out of the wind.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have to be outside. SWMBO won’t allow me to smoke indoors. So when the temps are right (say b/t 32-90), I’ll be either on my front porch or back patio. If it’s windy in the winter though, I’ll back the cars out of the garage and set up a chair and sit just inside the garage to stay out of the wind.
I only keep the tractor and my motorcycle in the garage, the cars and truck get parked on the driveway, the Garage is also my shop and it's heated, so it's a great retreat in the winter.
In the summer, even if it's scorching hot, I'd rather be outside though.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I only keep the tractor and my motorcycle in the garage, the cars and truck get parked on the driveway, the Garage is also my shop and it's heated, so it's a great retreat in the winter.
In the summer, even if it's scorching hot, I'd rather be outside though.
My plans are to build a shop someday. At the moment though, those plans are on hold until Oklahoma can figure what it wants to do with a planned turnpike which at the moment is proposed to go through my property and home. If I had that shop, I’d smoke out there in the winters.

My plans are to build a shop someday. At the moment though, those plans are on hold until Oklahoma can figure what it wants to do with a planned turnpike which at the moment is proposed to go through my property and home. If I had that shop, I’d smoke out there in the winters.
I like and hate your comment at the same time....

As to smoking what and what time of year I don't adhere to any common trends with smoking more latakia in the colder months etc... I smoke more in the summer but that is because of the forced labor of yard and garden maintenance. Winters in central Ohio have been mild lately. I just haven't wanted to sit outside. I have a garage now. I'll see if I can get a propane heater for the garage and crack the door. TLOTH will let me know if the smokes gets into her car or the house real quick!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Does anyone other then me, make use of the modern air purifiers?

While I’m only a twice a month pipe smoker, I will occasionally light up a small cigar In the summertime outside when it’s warmer.

Cigar smoke doesn’t fare as well indoors as pipe tobacco’s do when you have an air purifier in the room. When it’s too cold and windy in the winter months, my Rabbit Air purifier seems to handle pipe smoke and it’s lingering odors quite well.

Most pipe tobacco odors other than Latakia, seem to dissipate in the den pretty quickly. If I smoke a pipe in the den one evening, usually by the next morning there is no trace of odor.

Latakia might take a bit longer, but as long as I keep that air purifier going it too is gone in a day or two.

Cigars are a different story. :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Year round

More in summer than winter.
Outdoor smoker, weather is never that cold, mostly wet, like the english know. So wet cold perfect for an activity that is sitting still 😑
But the longer daylight makes is so nice. It feels like your evenings are couple of hours longer.

Definitely a winter sport, with a heavy preference for fall and early spring. I live in Eastern NC, where July and August temps easily hit 95-100 many days, and with 80%+ humidity to go along with it. Probably not quite as bad as Florida, but bad enough. For perspective, I've spent a fair bit of time in the tularosa Valley just NW of El Paso in August. It gets HOT there. But as hot as it gets, if you can make some shade it's bearable. 98 degrees with 90% humidity is brutal regardless of shade. Since I must smoke outside unless I go to the tobacco lounge, there are days in the summer when I just don't smoke. It literally gets so humidi here some days that I have difficulty lighting cardboard and newspaper thats been kept in the garage on fire.

It gets cold some days in the winter too. Some nights get into the teens, though that isn't very common. Then I can always throw my heater on in the garage though. October thru December and March thru early May is prime outdoor season here.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In hot weather, I only smoke in my truck while driving with the AC on and the windows cracked to let the majority of the smoke out and then only smoke once a week at most, often go a few weeks without a smoke.

Top Bottom