What's new

Winter boot brands

In need of some new winter boots, and looking for suggestions on good brands; something well made and not going to fall apart, waterproof, and warm.

I use them for weekend errands, sledding with the kids, and the usual snowy slushy weather running around (down to -20/-30C). I'm not after something like Sorel, I have a pair of big heavy boots for deep snow.

On my radar are Merrell, North Face. Not sure if Timberland are any good.

Suggestions?

I got a pair of timberland waterproof rugged classic boots for exactly what you described. I didn't want big clunky duck shoes as I already have a pair of insulated snow boots. They were fairly cheap at $125, warm with thick socks, great traction in snow and ice, look good enough to wear with jeans casually. I'm pretty happy with them. Also they are available in wide which is great.

My snow boots are north face chilkat. Second season with them and so far so good. They are big clunky boots but they are insulated and waterproof. I'm guessing other boots from the brand are good as well.

Asolo, Scarpa, Garmont, Lowa are all on sale for well under 150 shipped from Sierra Trading Post. Send them an email and they will put you in a weekly queue of 20-35% coupons etc. The brands above will all be waterproof ( mostly gortex) and still be made in Europe v. the Orient.

While Merrell the NF and Timberland are all decent, the brands above are engineered from the ground up for much more demanding circumstances and have a much richer heritage re bootmaking.

YMMV Greatly.

You only have one set of feet, buy the best you can afford. With proper care, any of the boots I named will be in good enough shape to hand down to your kids given your stated uses.

Asolo, Scarpa, Garmont, Lowa are all on sale for well under 150 shipped from Sierra Trading Post. Send them an email and they will put you in a weekly queue of 20-35% coupons etc. The brands above will all be waterproof ( mostly gortex) and still be made in Europe v. the Orient.

While Merrell the NF and Timberland are all decent, the brands above are engineered from the ground up for much more demanding circumstances and have a much richer heritage re bootmaking.

YMMV Greatly.

You only have one set of feet, buy the best you can afford. With proper care, any of the boots I named will be in good enough shape to hand down to your kids given your stated uses.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I have worn Timberland shoes/boots since the 1980s and always loved the brand, however, I believe that quality has suffered considerably since they have taken their manufacturing off-shore. My current pair of boots (which will be my last), had the leather lining wear through in a season.

Seeing as you don't want another pair of Sorel, I can't really suggest anything else.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I mean no offence here. They're nice, but those aren't winter boots. Try being out in -30ºC in those. You'll wish you hadn't.

I have a pair.

I've worn them in winter, including -30C, and don't regret it a bit.

Depends on what your using them for. I have the following pairs:
Sorel, Adidas, Blundstone; Merrell and Keen shoes

Sorels are great but its a bulky heavy boot. Great for walking in snow but hard to get on and off and very difficult to drive in.

Adidas trail hikers (old) - very lightweight but terrible for anything but hiking. Not waterproof and the "rock" sole slips pretty easily on ice and wet metal.

Blundstone - an amazing all around boot. Waterproof, comfortable, stylish. If I could only have one pair these would probably be the ones.

Keen - I have had three consecutive pairs of their mocs with the last pair retired in November. They don't make the style I like anymore but it looks something like the current Austin. While I liked these a lot and they were very versatile (good slip resistance, waterproof), they did look like potato skins and some people told me so.

Merrell - I picked up a pair of Polarand Rove on sale at the end of last Winter and this is now my go to for everyday wear in snowy conditions. They are mocs, not boots, and thus not suitable for walking through deep snow. But they're comfortable, reasonably priced, waterproof, warm and look decent.

I mean no offence here. They're nice, but those aren't winter boots. Try being out in -30ºC in those. You'll wish you hadn't.

To be fair though, the OP wanted a pair of boots for general winter wear that were not snow boots.

I did wear my Timberland's this weekend in the -10 temps and they were warm enough. I wouldn't spend all day outside in them but for running errands and general wear they were fine.

Thank you for all the feedback. dwsteen those look like they could fit the bill, I will look into them thank you. Those almost look like snowboard boots!
I really like the Asolo line from a quality standpoint, but not sure if they would be warm enough. They look like serious hiker gear. MEC here in town carries a couple different styles, so I will go check them out.

As Jarick mentioned, just looking for general wear. Errands and shoveling walks etc. I have the big snow boots for the deep stuff, and yes, no good for driving.

These boots are the reason the place is iconic; sure they roll in and out of fashion, but they are forever in the function dept

I purchased mine in 1986. That's right - 30 years ago. They have gone back to LL Bean twice for the resole/recrafting, including increasing the rubber boot by one size as I got older. The leather is still in great shape and butter soft. I treat it every year with either Sno Seal or Mink Oil. I wear them when the weather turns nasty or when I'm hunting. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Need them warmer? Thicker socks. Always dry.

Here's a pic from September 2014 after I was cleaning them up after a day in the dove fields of Texas.

proxy.php

Cheers!

Top Bottom