What's new

Winter boots

So winter is slowly approaching and figured I’d be prepared and get myself some new boots.

I’ve been wearing a pair of Sorel boots for my winter adventures the past couple years, but I don’t love them. They can be pretty clunky and also pretty much no support in the ankle or arches.

Wondering what everyone here likes to wear in the cold and snow.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What are you doing in them? I have a pair of pull on, knee high, insulated Muck boots for shoveling snow, A pair of insulated lace up Kamiks for tromping through the woods, and a pair of lace up insulated Red Wings for around town. I go for either all leather or a leather/rubber combination. I've never found a material that will keep my feet drier or warmer than these two materials.

Sorels when I walk the dog, but Red Wings, Canada West, Blundstones or Wolverine 1000 Miles for everything else.
I use my sorels for shoveling and walking in really bad snow. I have blundstones that I wear also but found that they are not warm enough or have enough grip. My 1k miles are leather sole so those are out of the question too. Lol

What are you doing in them? I have a pair of pull on, knee high, insulated Muck boots for shoveling snow, A pair of insulated lace up Kamiks for tromping through the woods, and a pair of lace up insulated Red Wings for around town. I go for either all leather or a leather/rubber combination. I've never found a material that will keep my feet drier or warmer than these two materials.
I’ve been doing everything in them. Walking, shovelling, building snow and and tobogganing lol.

The sorels have been pretty good but I find the support really sucks, so after walking an hour or two in them my feet kill me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Pair of Red Wing slip ons or similar Ariat for when it’s really cold. Mucks when it’s sloppy. But more often than not just a regular pair of shoes

DFC04644-BF05-4135-85B0-51C1B31ED642.jpegDF44C5E3-7139-40B5-8C91-DCB90A4D3598.jpeg

Usually a beefy Oxford shoe. LL Bean Gum shoes for snow and heavy rain. Redwing or Ariat boots for bird hunting with dogs. Running shoes for stalking.

Haven't needed or used heavy duty boots in years.

I found even the insole didn’t help much. Still hurt my feet to wear them after an hour or so.
Finding a good insole is more difficult than a good razor I think unfortunately.

I agree, the Sorels wool liners break down very quickly. My last pair (with good for me insoles) lasted 5 years of intense snow life. They are my go to snow shoeing boots.

I built solar farms for several brutal winters and the standard Muck boots with good insoles and Smartwool socks kept me warm and comfy down to 0 degrees F. Pretty good being we were working 70 hour weeks on ice and snow. Best of luck to ya, a person needs good boots🤠.

When it's <0, I still wear the Lacrosse Icemans I bought in 1993. Doesn't get that cold here in PA often, but back then I lived in WI.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Good to know I'm not alone in the arches department....
No sir, not at all!
I found even the insole didn’t help much. Still hurt my feet to wear them after an hour or so.
The key is a good shank. I don't think Sorel boots have shanks. A lot of (most maybe?) rubber boots don't. An arch-support insole won't do any good if it isn't sitting on a solid foundation. When I ordered my Muck boots, I made sure to get the model with shanks. The Chore Max, I think it was. So far, so good.

No sir, not at all!

The key is a good shank. I don't think Sorel boots have shanks. A lot of (most maybe?) rubber boots don't. An arch-support insole won't do any good if it isn't sitting on a solid foundation. When I ordered my Muck boots, I made sure to get the model with shanks. The Chore Max, I think it was. So far, so good.
Yeah that’s a very important part. I’ll look into those ones.

So I ended up trying some boots at local outdoor supply. These we’re the most comfortable and seemed to be the warmest.

Keen revel high polar boots. Raged to -40 and perfect for walking around hours outdoors in the snow and slush just like I wanted.

913EFD23-D485-4625-9230-018C20ED2B82.jpeg
857591E2-4BE0-4C00-9178-5720BEA0088B.jpeg
EA8C2D2E-0F30-4EFF-B51F-41D4234B7491.jpeg

Top Bottom