What's new

Winter boots

Outdoor chores: Muck boots
Hunting: Muck boots
Fishing: Muck boots
Dog walking: Muck boots
Going out to get the newspaper… you get the idea.

I’ve hiked for six hours in snow, rabbit hunting. My feet were the only part of me warm & dry.

I have both Chore and Wetlands models, and both are great (the Wetlands are taller and brown, better for hunting). But my son has the Woody Max, and I steal them whenever I can- they are thicker, and better for all day hiking. Super comfortable.

Last edited:
Dry Weather: Red Wing Iron Ranger 8111's or one of the various pairs of western boots I own (Tony Lama's primarily)

Wet Weather: My long serving L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Boots purchased new in 1985. They've been back to L.L Bean several times for new rubber bottoms and recrafting.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've had a pair of Geox boots that have been through every winter since I purchased them in September 2017. Very comfortable, good support. Still look good. Substantial, but not too heavy. According to Amazon the name of this model is Mrubbianobabx4. Very catchy! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

geox.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
These are my winter shoes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPC4Z0/

But, hey, we live in Florida. <eg>

I used to use LL Bean replaceable fleece liner snow boots. I looked at their website and it looks like the model I had is no longer available. I worked outside in many PA winters. They kept my feet toasty warm. If I remember correctly, they were rated to minus 100F.

Reactions: ctr

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Got a few winter boots, depending on what I do: deep snow shoveling/blowing Muck boots high wellies. Then a pair of Cabela's winter boots I got in Michigan, removable liner. They were quite nice there when the snow was high and the weather very cold, like minus degrees, but one cannot drive well in them as they feel like Moonboots on me. For wet weather and if it is only a bit snow, a pair of 6.5" Sorel duck boots, I think they are called. These are all for bad conditions, which I hate...for not so bad conditions I have a couple of leather boots from Keen, Ariat and Loake's.

I’ve been wearing chisel toe Blundstones for several years now. Sheepskin insoles and I’m good for a while at -20. The leather has gotten new wax every year and now it’s time to send them away for new soles and new elastic. I don’t want to have to break in a new pair. I have suspended arches and extremely high insteps. Breaking in most pull on boots can be excruciating for a while

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
While we do get bouts of snow here, it's not often deeper than ankle boot height. As such, my hiking boots are perfectly adequate for most winters. I do have a pair of wellies on standby too, but I doubt I've worn them more than three times in the last decade. I probably ought to check the condition of those, although unless there's something I desperately need to do, I'd probably stay home anyway.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The utility of winter footwear depends directly on the quality ... more pointedly, the suitability ... of the sole.

I have great summer boots that have very high quality soles ... those iconic Vibram lug soles with the yellow badge. Phenomenal. But ... in cold weather those soles are NOT good on snow and ice. No grip at all.

Just like winter tires, the sole of winter footwear needs to be softer, and have "grip" at low temperature ... most importantly on ice. (IMHO Vibram make a great sole for that, namely it's "Gumlite" line.)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My preferred shoe is a nice summer shoe, as I look out the window at the crappy weather. But assuming I actually have to venture forth into the madness:

High rubber boots for snow blowing.
J&M Gore-Tex ankle high boots for immediately after the storm.
AE waterproof McTavish wingtip oxfords for when there is just a minimum of slop left.

So winter is slowly approaching and figured I’d be prepared and get myself some new boots.

I’ve been wearing a pair of Sorel boots for my winter adventures the past couple years, but I don’t love them. They can be pretty clunky and also pretty much no support in the ankle or arches.

Wondering what everyone here likes to wear in the cold and snow.

I use Yaktrax. Not necessarily cleats, but probably along the same line.
With 6-7 month of snow, I wear winter boots a lot when I'm outside or walking the dog for an hour at -30.

Columbia, Timberland, Baffin are my go to when really cold. I vary them based on temp, condition and my activity. Heck, I can even get away with my summer hiking boots if I'm staying active. If I'm trail running in the winter, I can get away with my summer trail running shoes up to about -15.

The biggest mistake people make is wearing thick socks. You don't need them. Your feet need to breath to stay warm.

Wool is your friend. They naturally wick away moisture and will keep your feet dry. Again, thin socks, not hunga munga double layer socks.

Cheap chains do wonders too $15 Amazon ones for me.

Sadly, I own more than this as I have accumulated new ones over the years and quality ones don't break down or break. Luckily, both kids are similarly sized.

PXL_20221125_145252064.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When it comes to ice, I have ice cleats that slip on my boots.

Those can be good but can be a bit of a hassle to put on and off. Depends on all the factors and so forth.

But IMHO the sole on the boot should, itself, be designed for maximum winter grip. Then if you don't have the cleats, you still have good grip ... and if you add the cleats, you have the best possible.

The biggest mistake people make is wearing thick socks

To warm your feet, insulate your legs. The blood sent to warm your feet won't do much good if it loses most of it's heat going down the uninsulated leg. Long johns are more important than thick socks.

Wool is your friend

Amen!

Prices here can’t be beaten for really luxurious winter insoles or full liners if you have the boot room

So I ended up trying some boots at local outdoor supply. These we’re the most comfortable and seemed to be the warmest.

Keen revel high polar boots. Raged to -40 and perfect for walking around hours outdoors in the snow and slush just like I wanted.

View attachment 1546436View attachment 1546437View attachment 1546438

I've had decent luck with Keen work boots, and bought a pair of their winter boots for walking the dog in the snow. Like you, I wanted something "less clunky" and more shoe-like that fut my foot more snugly and offered more support.

Going into the second year and they have worked out well, and didn't break the bank.

I live in Helsinki, Finland, where the walking conditions are utter and complete **** 5-6 months out of the year. I'm out at least 3 times a day walking the dogs, if nothing else.

Mud and heavy rain: Red Wing "Wingshooter" 7" dark brown, black soles
Deep snow, dog walking: Sorel Caribou (leather, wool lined)
General purpose, out and about: Loake Bedale (black)
Super cold, out and about: Loake Wolf Fur lined (tan)

Loake Bedale's are real English "**** kickers" i.e. brogued country boots, but I wear them in the city anyway :) Same with Loake Wolf, brogued country-style **** kickers.

Top Bottom