What's new

Williams Mug Soap. Tell me something good!

Williams might be the best soap it the world for supper lathering. Certainly the most innovative.
All those Williams haters out there say allot of nasty stuff about this soap, but what they dont tell you is that they continue to hold on to their own puck for some reason.

...lather dried quickly, my face smarted...
Sounds like current formula Williams. If the Glastonbury vintage is anything like the Cranford, NJ puck that I have, then it lives up to the ad copy.

Then again, Arko stick works just as well and is cheaper than vintage Williams.

All those Williams haters out there say allot of nasty stuff about this soap, but what they dont tell you is that they continue to hold on to their own puck for some reason.

Haha! You know...I have often wondered why a product that is supposedly so ****ty gets so much press around here. The soap everyone loves to hate....

Uh, sure.

proxy.php

-Awesomeness ensues-
Post of the year! Haha!

This whole thread was very entertaining. VDH and Williams were two of my first shave soaps, and I have used either of them more than twice (partially because of the smell. My other current favorite smells like lemon meringue pie!). But you know what, reading through this thread gave me an idea! I'm going to mill my VDH and williams together with some nice scent and see if that doesn't turn out to be a half decent soap.

Also, I have to assume Williams was hot stuff back in the day, because their ads were so awesome.

proxy.php

That building is still around BTW. It's now a Hilton. Still looks kinds similar in the interior.

By Jove I think Iv got it! Try this; use a fork to score the top of your williams puck. Just a couple scratches on the top, then load bruch. Have some hot water soak into the cuts you just made first and for some reason you get a much greater load on the brush. And in turn provides a quicker building lather. Still needs some TLC tho

Williams might be the best soap it the world for supper lathering. Certainly the most innovative.

Sure, I kept it around until I used it up... And it only took me about 6 showers to get it all used up! It's at least the equal of any 96 cent bar of bath soap. ;)

Always a bbs for me because at this price I don't mind splurging on brush loading, 3 unopened boxes presently inn den storage

I wish they sold other brands of shave soap than Van Der Hagen and Williams in stores around here. Not that I'm complaining because I do like those two. I'd like to try some Proraso. How much does it run?

It is superior to the spent soap chip ends that you scrape from the shower stall (I actually used to do that!)- it smells nostalgic because my dad used it and I used to buy it for him as a gift when I was like 5 years old- and if you use it long enough before trying Cella, Tabac and Proraso - as I did - you will appreciate these other soaps that much more. I highly recommend it and have given it away with a vintage, shave quality razor four times because it only gets better from there. Having said all this- I have some in a mug and I use it whenever the energy is right!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That story about the Williams and the eggs is brilliant! Cutthroat Bill calls it a 'must read'

It was in response to my "I just tried William's thread" so many months ago. I like to revisit it, because Topgumby is such an excellent writer and accurately described what happened (well, almost :001_smile )

So this is the trick,
Soak hot water on the top of the puck while you prepare.
Dump the hot water off the top of the puck after about a minute.
Then the trick!
2-3 drops of Aqua Velva Ice Blue on the now softened top of the puck and rub it in slightly with your fingers.
Use a stiff, cheap boar brush, almost dry, and start scrubbing!!
Scrub and scrub and scrub untill you have lather building. Scrape this lather into your mug and mix.
You should at this point still have little-no water in the mix. Take this time to add some by dribbling a few drops off your hand into the mug.
Scrub scrub and scrub!
Now you should have a long lasting lather.
This pic is of a williams lather i did this way lastnight. Note the picture was taken after my shave was done and I was cleaning up.
Meaning this williams lather was 45 mins old at the time this picture was taken.
I got this idea from a gentleman on this tread. Ill look back and try to find the original post because this is something worth consideration.
Try it tonight! It works! I can now get Williams the consistency of canned goo!

Attachments

• $Williams Lather.jpg
    $Williams Lather.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 85
So this is the trick,
Soak hot water on the top of the puck while you prepare.
Dump the hot water off the top of the puck after about a minute.
Then the trick!
2-3 drops of Aqua Velva Ice Blue on the now softened top of the puck and rub it in slightly with your fingers.
Use a stiff, cheap boar brush, almost dry, and start scrubbing!!
Scrub and scrub and scrub untill you have lather building. Scrape this lather into your mug and mix.
You should at this point still have little-no water in the mix. Take this time to add some by dribbling a few drops off your hand into the mug.
Scrub scrub and scrub!
Now you should have a long lasting lather.
This pic is of a williams lather i did this way lastnight. Note the picture was taken after my shave was done and I was cleaning up.
Meaning this williams lather was 45 mins old at the time this picture was taken.
I got this idea from a gentleman on this tread. Ill look back and try to find the original post because this is something worth consideration.
Try it tonight! It works! I can now get Williams the consistency of canned goo!

I believe it was I that mentioned about the Aqua Velva. It even says to use aqua Velva on like 3 tabs inside the Williams box. It does work, It must be the glycerin in the Aqua Velva and maybe some other ingredients? :straight: :velva2:

Top Bottom