What's new

Wilkinson Sword (German)

I heard that Wilkinson Sword (German version) were somewhat similar to Personna Reds, which aren't my favorite blade but I do like them once in a while. I decided for giggles to order 25 of the Wilkinsons, because they were cheap. Well, just used one and all I can think is that they aren't "similar" to Personna Reds, they are Personna Reds. I couldn't tell any difference at all! I know they're made by different companies, so there's that. Anyone have insight on this?

Last edited:
As of a couple years ago the same parent company owns both operations; Edgewell has owned Schick-Wilkinson Sword for many years, but recently acquired the ASR consumer business and the Israeli blade factory that makes Personna Reds along with it. There's no particular reason to think the blades have changed. They're both good first-world-quality blades, but made in different factories in different countries on different equipment by different business units.

I also prefer the Wilkies, especially since I can buy them locally for a very reasonable price, but I generally find that overthinking blades just leads one down the garden path sometimes.

The German Wilkies are good blades for me! Well worth a try IMO!

I find them quite different from Personna reds (which are in my top-tier). :a14::a14:

I think personna reds are much sharper. I find them uncomfortable and pin-pricky. The Wilkinsons are very smooth for me.

I don't have the personna reds but I've tried the wilkinson german. To me they are smooth but not so efficient blades. They're just middle of the road kind of blades for me. Probably more suited for rookies. Not something I'll buy 100 of (unless it's just $5) because there are better ones out there.

Tried lots of blades, but keep coming back to the Wilkinson’s. Cheap, available locally, just a good shave.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have and use Gillette Wilkinson sword blades. Made in India. My friend JJ bought 50 from me. I noticed that others at another Forum gave a thumbs down to our blades. Are these these the blades we are discussing?

Wilkinson Sword (made in Germany) - probably, the smoothest blades I have tried up to now. At the 4-th shave, the blade was still gliding and cutting effortlessly. Looking forward to the 5-th shave.

I have and use Gillette Wilkinson sword blades. Made in India. My friend JJ bought 50 from me. I noticed that others at another Forum gave a thumbs down to our blades. Are these these the blades we are discussing?
That's a different one. In fact for the one you have, there are chinese and indian made versions.

The one we are talking about is the more expensive one made in germany that comes in plastic tucks with no teflon coating on the blade (correct me if I'm wrong on the teflon).

"The one we are talking about is the more expensive one made in germany that comes in plastic tucks with no teflon coating on the blade (correct me if I'm wrong on the teflon)."

Exactly, the German-made ones come in a black plastic dispenser (photo), but I think they are chromium + ceramic + teflon coated.

20190611_063754.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Wilkinson Sword Classic are my No.1 blade. The Personna maybe feel a little keener on their first shave, but settle in quickly, and don't last as long (for me).

Wilkinson Sword Classic (Germany) and Personna Reds (Israel) are both brands owned by Edgewell. On the first shave, the Reds might be a little sharper and the Wilkies may be a little smoother, but I like them both. There are a few blades that are sharper, but these two work well for me in most razors.

The Personna Lab Blues are similar to the Personna Reds except they have a very thick "Comfort Coating" that make them very smooth, but not quite sharp enough on the 1st shave. After the first shave, they perform a lot like both the German Wilkies and the Israeli Reds.

They feel very different to me. Reds are very tuggy and just overall crap (for me). German Wilkies (and Indian Wilkies) are both top notch.

Reactions: ike
^ How different are the German and Chindian Wilkies? I have the German & they're kind of a nice blade. Haven't tried the other one.

Top Bottom