What's new

Wilkinson Sword Classic vs German vs Chinese vs Indian

I would try less pressure with any of the blades you listed. Technique will trump over most blades. But, for some it may never happen. Some blades are just not meant to be used by some folks. That's why there are so many blades on the market. I had the same experience with Vokshod. While they are "sharp", just felt like they were scraping my face, with weepers. I finally used the "corking" method on the blades to take the rough edges off of them. They were a lot more comfortable after that. Just not for me. I enjoy my daily shaves with the German Wilkies, as they are close, smooth, never any irritation. Hope you find your comfort zone...
I would try less pressure with any of the blades you listed. Technique will trump over most blades. But, for some it may never happen. Some blades are just not meant to be used by some folks. That's why there are so many blades on the market. I had the same experience with Vokshod. While they are "sharp", just felt like they were scraping my face, with weepers. I finally used the "corking" method on the blades to take the rough edges off of them. They were a lot more comfortable after that. Just not for me. I enjoy my daily shaves with the German Wilkies, as they are close, smooth, never any irritation. Hope you find your comfort zone...
Thanks! Crazy how rhe same blade is great for one and bad for another! YMMV certainly seems to be the law of blades- I found Voskods extremely smooth, but very mild. I treated the Wilkinson’s with the same respect as a feather. BTW, I don’t love feathers as I can pick up a small weeper or two (nothing alum doesn’t immediately vanish) but I don’t like feeling nervous during a shave. I also wonder if good, better and best leave the factories with machine adjustments to be made, QC being better or worse on a particular run of blades- who knows if I just got a couple of bad tucks. I also didnt do well with the Astras- another pretty much universally loved blade that seemed to tug and skip a lot for me. I may try a different tuck of each in a year just to make sure I didn’t buy into a bad run or something. The Astras definatly deserve another chance as I tried them early on without much DE experience, so that really may be chalked up to newb technique. A buddy of mine won’t shave with anything but Astras. I can only speculate about consistent manufacturing and go off my own experience for what I’ve tried. Just tried my first whisamet and liked it- but went real easy as I’m still too raw from the Wilkinson to really go after BBS, so I need another few shaves with the Wizamets. So far seems like another excellent blade. After giving three different Wilks multiple tries after DE shaving for 7 months I feel pretty qualified to say they just aren’t for me- or maybe I got a bad batch. I’ve now identified and extensively tested 5 blades I really like that seem to cover all the bases for me- Platinums, GSB, Nacet, and more recently the German made Personna coated Blues and Wizamets. Once I order the Personna and Wizamts in bulk I’ll have 500 blades stashed that work for me and I can donate blood at the hospital instead of the sink, and not worry about any extended geopolitical events preventing me from getting the blades I like that give me smooth, close shaves instead of cuts. (NOT political- simply a supply concern comment) I am sure there are dozens and dozens of great blades out there, but once you narrow down what you like, why continue the pain of experimenting? PS- my standard for trying blades is testing in a Slim on 7 and Gamechanger 84.

I really was not aware of this. Thinking back, it has been 30-years since I have been in Asia. DE blades seemed to be more of the norm then.

Having removed the little guys, big businesses have plowed ahead full steam. It is all about profit today. This has come at the expense of quality and practicality.

I personally hate when companies insert technology into products where it clearly is not needed and does not produce a more quality consumer product.

A clear example of this is modern washing machines. They don't clean as well as the older mechanical designs and the added electronics makes them less reliable and more expensive to service. After dumping two "modern" washing machines, for these reasons, I bought a used "refurbished" machine for $165, much better!

I don't go the DE route as a hobby, I do it for a better shave, with less irritation. I wore a beard on and off for close to forty years, mostly because I didn't like to shave!

My best sounding audio gear uses tubes.

Please understand that it was never my intention to be critical of any country or their peoples social economic status. Things constantly go in and out of style everywhere on the planet.

Still, DE shaving is mostly concentrated to countries with less developed economies.

I am pretty much old school when it comes to most of the stuff we use today. Like the washers, I buy the simplest, with the least electronics, machine I can find. Less things to break, and I get a good service life out of them. High end machines just don't last. My cars the same way. So, as far as DE shaving, I tried my hand at it a couple of times in the last 30 years, before settling in on DE shaving everyday, probably about 10-12 years ago. Bought a VDH at WalMart, and used their blades for quite a few years, before becoming dissatisfied with the quality of their blades, with a lot of inconsistency from one tuck to another, or even within a certain tuck. Come across this B&B while looking for DE blades, and it has been an education in the world of DE shaving, and all the available products, if you know where to look. Found a store in the city devoted to shaving, and all it's products. Got some schooling there from the knowledgable staff, but their pricing was higher than one would find elsewhere, and I started looking for other places for supplies, namely blades, as I am not a hobbiest, nor collector in the world of DE shaving. I only have 2 razors, my old VDH, which I pull out once in a while, and my trusty friend, my Parker 91R, which I got as a gift on my 65th birthday. Over a year later, at this date, I am still using the Parker, with great results everyday. I had found my everyday blade pretty quick in this process, the Wilkinson Sword from Germany, and have sourced them from a local grocery chain, for $1.20 a tuck. Every so often on trips there, I will buy 2-3 tucks, at this point not choosing to buy 100 lot. I get about 7-8 DFS, with not many clean ups. Never any irritation, or cuts, close and smooth is how I start my day. I do WTG shave, being that I shave everyday, and a WTG, and XTG for special occasions..I don't collect soaps, or creams, and at this time just using the bar soap on the sink. I have a brush, but mainly use it on weekends. The Wilkies give me a DFS pretty much everyday, and with being said, they are not for everyone. YMMV being the mantra for all things shaving...

I have a ton of Indian ones.. I paid around .6 cents each last year.

They suck in my mild shavers, but work amazingly well in my Gamechanger .84. I don't go over 4 shaves with the Indian model.

• Smooth as butter first shave.
  • Sharper/Sharpest 2nd shave.
  • 3rd shave goes back to around first shave sharpness, but less smooth since coating comes off.
  • 4th shave starts to feel a bit dull.
Basically 2 shaves per blade side.

I have recently purchased a couple of tucks of German Wilkies from my local source, still a $1.20 a tuck. I was having a few issues with my older purchase of blades being a little off on their sharpness, but usable for a decent daily shave. But, now, I tapped into a new tuck of blades, and what a surprise. Sharp, and smooth, the reasons I choose German Wilkies as my everyday blade. Currently have 6 DFS's on a blade, and it is as sharp now as it was on day 1. Hopefully they are on the right track again with their quality...

Top Bottom