What's new

Wilkin Sword Experiment

A couple of weeks ago I broke down and bought some of the Wal-Mart Wilkinson Sword blades. For the price, and the praise they have been getting here, I figured that it was worth a try. I used them in several of my DEs, and here are the results thus far in my WS Experiment.

Red Tip

The first, and so far best, razor that I have used the WS blades was the Red Tip. I get excellent results, even so far as getting acceptable 1 pass shaves. Normally I need at least 2 passes, most of the time 3 with touch ups. These blades wipe through my whiskers like nothing. I have been able to get 3 shaves with one blade, which is average. The shaves are smooth, close and comfortable in the Red Tip. It is definitely a good combo.

Knock-off Old Type

The shaves were awful. The exact opposite of the Red Tip experiences. I tore my face apart with this combo, and will not repeat the mistake.

Schick Krona

Not as bad as the one above, but was pretty bad. Not smooth, and very uncomfortable.

I have not yet tried the WS blades in any of the adjustables yet, but I may not. The Red Tip is just a perfect razor for this blade. This is quickly becoming my go to combo when not using an SE. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I just PIFed my vertical derby blades and I bought 100 of the WM wilkinson blades. These work extremely well in my Mergress adjustable, EJ89, 1948 SS, Feather portable, and my Knack. As long as I can get three to four comfortable shave with no burn with these blades I have quite searching for anything else. YMMV depending on beard and shave technique, but they are certainly worth a try.
Mike

I just PIFed my vertical derby blades and I bought 100 of the WM wilkinson blades. These work extremely well in my Mergress adjustable, EJ89, 1948 SS, Feather portable, and my Knack. As long as I can get three to four comfortable shave with no burn with these blades I have quite searching for anything else. YMMV depending on beard and shave technique, but they are certainly worth a try.
Mike

I have a couple of other DEs that I will probably try them in. Good to know that they are versatile for you. :thumbup1:

For me it wasnt as smooth as derby but it didnt degrade too quickly. I got 5 good shaves. I could have done 6 but I like my face. Would I use again, yes. Is it going to be my good to blade, no.

If these Walmart Wilkinsons are the same as the German made WS Classics that you get over here then I will steer well clear. They are the first blade I used and I made a mess of my neck with them, so I have left them for months. Tried one the other night and promptly made a mess of my neck. I am sure they are a perfectly good blade, but there is just something about them that doesn't suit my technique.

The WM Wilkinsons and the Classics I can get locally both seem to give me a less the desirable shave. I was really hopping for more given that I wouldn't have to pay shipping to get blades, maybe I will trying corking them to see if they get any better!

In my experience, the WM WS blades are superior to Derby, Bluebird, the old WM Personna, and the other store brand DE blades. I am a big fan of the Sharks and Green Gillettes, but in my Red Tip, these Wilkinsons are top notch. I may begin a run of adjustables beginning tomorrow.

The WalMart blades have a very light oily coating. I cork the edge or hand strop to remove the oil prior to 1st shave. These are the only blades I have ever encountered that have a very light coating of oil in the 10 blade dispenser. I think removing the oil with the cork or hand stroping helps the 1st and subsequent shaves.
Mike

The WalMart blades have a very light oily coating. I cork the edge or hand strop to remove the oil prior to 1st shave. These are the only blades I have ever encountered that have a very light coating of oil in the 10 blade dispenser. I think removing the oil with the cork or hand stroping helps the 1st and subsequent shaves.
Mike

I didn't notice any oil the the pack I bought. I wonder if this is common, or just found in a few packs?

Even as new as I am, I have a nice black-handled Super Speed, and the Wilkinson blades from Wal Mart work VERY WELL in that razor. Which reminds me, I need to run down there and see if they've restocked yet.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Even as new as I am, I have a nice black-handled Super Speed, and the Wilkinson blades from Wal Mart work VERY WELL in that razor. Which reminds me, I need to run down there and see if they've restocked yet.

Thats the thing, as good as they may be, with Wallyworld only bringing in what seems like 12 at a time, these things may be as hard to come by as iridiums.

Thats the thing, as good as they may be, with Wallyworld only bringing in what seems like 12 at a time, these things may be as hard to come by as iridiums.

Walmart doesn't stock up much of anything as of late, especially in the shaving area. They don't even keep a decent stock of Mach 3, Trac II or Fusion anymore.

Where I live in Washington state I am within 15/20 miles of three walmarts and they all carry the blades but usually no more than a dozen out at any one time. I went to the newest walmart last week and bought 10 of the 12 packs displayed. I normally would not do that but the closest Walmart cannot seem to keep than in stock, and unless you walk in on the day they get put out you SOL (the military in me).
Mike

Today, I decided it was time to test out the adjustables using the WM Wilkinson Sword blades. I chose my Slim to start, loaded it, and cranked it up to 7 (I am one of those who seem to get better shaves out of the adjustables in the higher ranges). The results? An extremely close and comfortable shave! Not BBS mind you (I only go for BBS maybe once or twice in a week and only with an SE), but a quality DFS.

I did my normal 1st pass with the grain, and decided to use a modified "Gillette Slide" for the 2nd pass. Once again, good results from the Wilkinson Sword blades. I plan to use the Slim for the next couple of days and see how the results vary from day to day.

Feathers have been my blade of choice for some time. Last weekend I bought a pack of WS. I was pleasantly surprised. I have received very good shaves with them and for the price they can't be beat. I have used them in Ranger Tech and a 1947 no notch SS. I will buy them again. :thumbup1:

Yesterday I moved to another adjustable, and got the best shave with an adjustable ever. I used my Super Adjustable cranked to 9, an loaded a WS blade. One pass with touch ups and I got a DFS!

I will be taking a break for the next tow days from the experiment, and will get back to it Monday.

Last edited:
When I first used them I thought they are ok, not great just ok.

I shimmed by razor and used them again and was wow - they are shaving good right now.
Merkur open comb with three blade shim = good shaves for me.

I see myself corking the remainder of the Wally Wilks in my box o' blades. They're a little harsh otherwise and stropping makes them smoother for me.

Top Bottom