What's new

Why WTG ?

I think I’ve found an answer by trial and error... and some bleeding :)

This morning, I’ve used the most aggressive razor that I have, and going WTG I could both feel the blade and see some hair in the sink.

However, with my least aggressive and most favorite razor, I might as well just use a comb.

So, it probably depends on how soft your hair is (my wife often compares my stubble to sandpaper), and how aggressive the razor is.

Probably the answer is that you are very young. I remember that, in my 20s I also couldn't shave WTG efficiently, and I always have been shaving only ATG (using cartridge razors :D ). But in mid 40s, with good razor, I regularly achieve DFS with 2 passes WTG. Since I have sensitive skin, I relatively rare go second pass ATG, and instead do twice WTG. And my mustache area I cannot by any means and no matter which razor I use, shave ATG since my early 30s.

In my case, my hair grows very parallel to my skin, so WTG doesn't do a whole lot. In addition, growth patterns make it unfeasible to only do WTG (morning shaver, before work...who has time for that?).

I typically end up doing 4+ passes that are all a little bit of WTG, XTG, and ATG...N-S, then S-N, then diagonal down toward Adams' Apple, then diagonal up towards nose, then touch-up straight across from each ear to center. That's the only way I get a shave (BBS or close) that is comfortable (no scritching/irritation from shirt collars) with no scruffiness until evening. I shave daily..6-7 times per week. I've tried going more ATG first, but it wasn't comfortable.

I can’t remember, in my 45+ years of shaving, ever doing a WTG pass. I do two passes, first south to north (which is a combo of ATG and XTG), and then from each ear to nose (the same combo). And tons of buffing.

This is all I know.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have to shave WTG (or close to) on the first pass, as if I go straight ATG, the cutting forces are too high, deflecting the skin too much, and changing the effective blade angle. The whole dynamic of the shave is changed, and not for the better. Doing the two prior passes before ATG reduces this skin deflection, and lets me be more consistent in my technique.

Top Bottom