What's new

Why were the Polsilver Super Iridium blades discontinued?

I have two hundred Polisilvers and 1,500 Wizamets and have done quite a few side by side tests. They are exactly the same.
No argument here. But then its been years since I've bought a modern blade. Once or twice a year I'll use one to reaffirm my decision.

'Discontinued' is not a word in the PPI lexicon. Some brands are indeed retired, but others are simply placed out of production, temporarily.
The Polsilver Super Iridium label, intended for the Eastern Europe markets, is currently in hiatus and the very same blades were rebranded as Wizamet Super Iridium and sold in North African markets.

It's funny. All these posts say, "don't worry. It's just a silly rumor". But, the fact is, Polsilver blades, if you can find them at all, are now priced at a ridiculous $1.00 per blade or more. This eventuality, of course, abrogates the bulk of one of the primary initiatives for DE shaving... saving money. Polsilvers, the best DE blade ever made, are effectively extinct. Don't bore me with the details. Just tell me of a DE blade that comes even close. I will try it... If I have not already.
I'm no blade expert, but of the 25 or so brands I've tried, Polsilver probably is (or was?) my second choice, but for me the best, and by a considerable margin, is Feather. I wouldn't argue it is the smoothest or most comfortable, or even the longest lasting, but if the idea is to get the closest possible BBS everywhere shave as easily as possible, none of the others I've tried come close. OTH, I can see that some with different razors or shaving styles might not like them at all. Both Polsilver and Feather can be a bit rough for the first shave, but after that, imo both really get the job done.

I like multiple blades as much as the polsilvers and bought into the rumor and bought 200. And no I’m not going to sell any. Don’t be a namby pamby and learn to use other blades: some are just as good if not better. Lol

some are just as good if not better

I have to agree with that. I was never a believer of the whole “holy-grail” blade, and for me the Gillette factory in Russia makes blades that have more similarities than differences in my experience. During a shave, I couldn’t tell most of the ones I’ve tried apart

When the Polsilvers became overpriced I moved on to Bolzanos and GSBs, and more recently Permasharps, Gillette Platinums and Nacets. All shave very similar. The Nacet might be a little thinner and sound louder during the shave, but the end result is the same

I’m not saying all blades are the same. They are not, of course. But I believe one will always be able to find more than one that works.

I was never a fan of these actually given mine away to a fan. But all depends on the razor combo (and my skills at that moment in time)
Still have a tuck of wizamets will not bin them the broman is likely to give no issues.

I've tried many blades and Polsilver used to be my main go to blade pretty much since I started DE shaving. That changed recently when I tried Nacet and Bic Chrome Platinum. I think both blades are slightly sharper and also slightly smoother. I still like Polsilver though, but I keep my huge stash mostly because they are quite expensive at the moment, but if the price is right I would sell most of them without hesitation. I'm sure at some point they will appear out of nowhere just like they disappeared and hopefully they will be as easy to find as they used to be back in the day.

It's funny. All these posts say, "don't worry. It's just a silly rumor". But, the fact is, Polsilver blades, if you can find them at all, are now priced at a ridiculous $1.00 per blade or more. This eventuality, of course, abrogates the bulk of one of the primary initiatives for DE shaving... saving money. Polsilvers, the best DE blade ever made, are effectively extinct. Don't bore me with the details. Just tell me of a DE blade that comes even close. I will try it... If I have not already.
I haven't found anything that is quite as good. and actually nothing I have tried lasts as long. I get 5-6 face and head shaves per blade(admittedly I use two Fatboys, lower setting for my head). I have tried most of St Petersburg's output and nothing lasts like they did(plain stainless as well as Super Iridium Polsilver, they last the same for me, but I get a closer shave with Super Iridium). Wizamets are like every thing else, 3-4 days and I feel tugging. Platinum coated blades 3 days, stainless 1-2 days. I was surprised Feather is only good for 3 days for me. my technique has improved enough so I can use them but they tug after 3 days. I didn't like Rapira nor Bolzano when I tried them. it is damn frustrating

Top Bottom