What's new

Why were the Polsilver Super Iridium blades discontinued?

Very efficient, sharp, and smooth. Really hard to cut yourself with. These blades were re-branded, if I recall.

I don't know if it's been confirmed that they were discontinued. I will say they are pretty darn hard to find. But they are out there.

This topic has been discussed numerous times. If you do a search on B&B you will find that these rumors have floated many times over the years. The first time I saw that was in 2016. Then it happened again in 2017. These rumors are constantly surfacing. I don't know if they are being discontinued. Some say these rumors were started to drive the price of these blades up. For an interesting take on these blades take a look at this older post.

This is from the West Coast Shaving website: "The Super Iridium double edge blades were a popular blade before they were discontinued. Or at least that's what we thought happened to them. Turns out there was a distribution change and the blades are still being made in St. Petersburg, Russia. They are packaged slightly different, but they are the same great blade. Sharp and smooth.5 blades per pack.Made in Russia. "

One of the popular shaving vendors posted elsewhere that his distributor told him that Polsilver blades have not been made for a few years now and orders for them are not being filled. This in no way means that there are not large stocks of them hanging around waiting for someone to buy them. A run of DE blades is huge. Think about how many would fit on even a single pallet. It takes awhile to sell them all.

But until somebody sees blades with laser etching instead of printing, it's safe to assume they haven't been made, because that plant started etching a couple of years ago already.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a blade of that quality, maybe give the laser-etched Gillette Platinums a chance. Having used both, I notice no difference.

This topic has been discussed numerous times. If you do a search on B&B you will find that these rumors have floated many times over the years. The first time I saw that was in 2016. Then it happened again in 2017. These rumors are constantly surfacing. I don't know if they are being discontinued. Some say these rumors were started to drive the price of these blades up. For an interesting take on these blades take a look at this older post.

This is from the West Coast Shaving website: "The Super Iridium double edge blades were a popular blade before they were discontinued. Or at least that's what we thought happened to them. Turns out there was a distribution change and the blades are still being made in St. Petersburg, Russia. They are packaged slightly different, but they are the same great blade. Sharp and smooth.5 blades per pack.Made in Russia. "

I didn't know the topic has already been discussed before. Didn't think anyone would care about this brand as it's not as popular as Feather or Gillette.

I was fooled and bought a lifetime supply. Not recently. It's an old rumor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Would you be willing to sell some?

^ The Iridium Super and the Polsilver are Gillette blades - actually, they are the same blades, in two different boxes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I didn't know the topic has already been discussed before. Didn't think anyone would care about this brand as it's not as popular as Feather or Gillette.

Would you be willing to sell some?

Are they hard to find?

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

Here's a link to an eBay vendor. I'm not saying it's a good vendor or a great price, but I didn't search more than 45 seconds. I don't remember what I paid for 400 blades or where I got them.

This is, by far, my favorite DE blade. Once I discovered them I quit looking at others, but don't worry. I have plenty of others if the zombies take over.

I sometimes think about selling stuff I don't seem to use, but mostly don't. At least I seem to not be very interested in buying much currently. I know other gentlemen who have even more blades than me which is almost hard to believe.

It's interesting to find out the number of razor blades manufactured (I've forgotten the numbers but it's worth looking up if you're interested). We tend to think those who use them are a tiny minority, and maybe that's the case, but there are enough blades coming out of the factories to impress me particularly when I realize how long one Polsilver lasts me.

There may come a time when DE and other safety razor blades are no longer made.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

That's a good reason to stock up, right, and also a good reason to learn the straight razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yeah I did the same thing but I purchased
Out fear of them being discontinued or
Later becoming Price Prohibitive and at
The time I bought mine (2016) the price
Was $13.99 USD and there were dozens
Of vendors who included Free shipping.
So now the Razor Blade Club out of Sweden has the best price out of the
Most Reliable Vendors Camp.

It's funny. All these posts say, "don't worry. It's just a silly rumor". But, the fact is, Polsilver blades, if you can find them at all, are now priced at a ridiculous $1.00 per blade or more. This eventuality, of course, abrogates the bulk of one of the primary initiatives for DE shaving... saving money. Polsilvers, the best DE blade ever made, are effectively extinct. Don't bore me with the details. Just tell me of a DE blade that comes even close. I will try it... If I have not already.

It's funny. All these posts say, "don't worry. It's just a silly rumor". But, the fact is, Polsilver blades, if you can find them at all, are now priced at a ridiculous $1.00 per blade or more. This eventuality, of course, abrogates the bulk of one of the primary initiatives for DE shaving... saving money. Polsilvers, the best DE blade ever made, are effectively extinct. Don't bore me with the details. Just tell me of a DE blade that comes even close. I will try it... If I have not already.
Look for the Wizamet Super Iridium in the blue & silver pack. It is a rebranding of the same blade. People can't tell the difference.

Usual price is $45-50 per 250 blades with shipping included from a U.S. seller, that is roughly $20/100. Ignore B.S. claims such as "rare", "new old stock", "discontinued", etc. These blades are not distributed through the usual sales channels in our part of the world, so they come from North Africa or the Middle East and get sold on the "grey market", AFAIK.

1608600981772.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Wizamet SI blades are exactly the same as Polsilver SI blades. There's a thread on how we know that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom