What's new

Why MWF?

It's been years since I've used MWF. Back when I started my wet shaving journey it was one of those soaps that everyone had. I hear a lot like the post shave feel, which they attribute to the lanolin. There are many soaps out there that include lanolin, so my question is, is there something about the lanolin or ingredients in MWF that continue to make it a popular choice amongst the discerning men and women at B&B? Maybe nostalgia is a factor here?

For soaps, it's in my top three with Arko and DR Harris. I love the scent, and being a hard puck it lasts so long and does the job. How much of it is due to the lanolin, I don't know, but it just works.

It's a very good soap, it last forever and in Europe you can find the refill at less than $10. As long as I know it has never been reformulated and it still contains all the good stuff they used to put in the base from yesteryear. The scent is faint but pleasant and inoffensive.
There are better soaps around but you can never go wrong with "The Fat", unless you have a very hard water running from your tap.

I have two soaps/creams. The Fat for when time is not an issue and TOBS Jermyn Street for when I’m short on time. I’ve tried others, but keep coming back to these two.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It is very inexpensive here in the UK and in my soft water area it lathers very easily even when the puck is bone dry. Plus it has a very mild scent so it is ideal for grating and adding a scent to it. I have done this successfully with vintage Fabergé Brut, Shulton Old Spice, and Aramis to make wonderfully scented and great performing shave soaps.

1.) The lather is great; very slick. Always results in a great shave.

2.) it smells nice, like fresh linen. Not super strong, just a pleasant scent.

3.) it really does make your skin feel great post shave. It’s great for winter; it does wonders for mitigating the dry skin I usually deal with in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the above...great value, slick, pleasant scent, face feels great afterwards. Bit of a PITA To get a consistent lather some days.

what's not to like about MWF?
have always enjoyed shaving with it over the years!

mwf collage.jpg

It's been years since I've used MWF. Back when I started my wet shaving journey it was one of those soaps that everyone had.

You must have started the same year as I did! I remember the discussions about the Fat, and how it was unalterable for some unless you had super powers and easy for others.

Maybe nostalgia is a factor here?

I don't think so. As far as I know, MWF is still what it always was. No reformulations. It is just a very, very good soap as many others have said before.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When I first started TWS back in 2010, I picked up a few of the famous soaps. MWF, Cella and Tabac were a few of the classic ones. MWF and Cella I didn't stick with.

I had no troubles with lathering MWF, and the Lanolin didn't burn my face as many of the reports I had read. I enjoyed it's shaving properties, the after the shave skin feel and even picked up the ceramic bowl. My biggest trouble with MWF, was I couldn't keep it from drying out, cracking and then crumbling to dust inside the bowl.

Oklahoma can be humid and arid in it's climate, but if I wasn't using MWF every single day, I couldn't keep the puck moisturized enough to stay together. MWF seems to be the kind of soap, if it's the only soap that get's used, it would stay together, But if there is any kind of rotation? Then it will dry out, crack and then crumble into dust.

I even tried to grate it up and recompress it back in the bowl, but it just wouldn't retain enough moisture in the puck to keep from totally crumbling and turning to dust. After trying it with two different pucks, I just gave up and sold the ceramic bowl.

I use Haslinger Schafmilch as a MWF replacement now. Great performance, skin feel and Lanolin, but it doesn't dry out and crumble away.

When I first started TWS back in 2010, I picked up a few of the famous soaps. MWF, Cella and Tabac were a few of the classic ones. MWF and Cella I didn't stick with.

I had no troubles with lathering MWF, and the Lanolin didn't burn my face as many of the reports I had read. I enjoyed it's shaving properties, the after the shave skin feel and even picked up the ceramic bowl. My biggest trouble with MWF, was I couldn't keep it from drying out, cracking and then crumbling to dust inside the bowl.

Oklahoma can be humid and arid in it's climate, but if I wasn't using MWF every single day, I couldn't keep the puck moisturized enough to stay together. MWF seems to be the kind of soap, if it's the only soap that get's used, it would stay together, But if there is any kind of rotation? Then it will dry out, crack and then crumble into dust.

I even tried to grate it up and recompress it back in the bowl, but it just wouldn't retain enough moisture in the puck to keep from totally crumbling and turning to dust. After trying it with two different pucks, I just gave up and sold the ceramic bowl.

I use Haslinger Schafmilch as a MWF replacement now. Great performance, skin feel and Lanolin, but it doesn't dry out and crumble away.
The Fat is a jealous mistress. You must use her no less than every other day or she won’t perform.

MWF didn’t win me over the first time around but I may try it again. It seemed to provide a closer shave than anything else. Don’t ask me how but it did.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I am in the High Desert. Very little rain. Low humidity. As a Desert Rat, I like my climate dry. ;)

I use The Fat, on average, ~once a week.

To better keep The Fat at an appropriate moisture, I keep it in a Schöne shaving bowl with a very tight fitting lid.

Screenshot_20201102_222855.jpg

Works for me. :)

Top Bottom