What's new

Why just why

So I have 2 brushes a fine badger and a synth I did have a boar but hated it so in the bin it went the issue im having well not so much an issues I just do not understand why my badger brush gives me a lather that’s ten times better the my synth brush the badger is a nom brush and the synth is a grumpy rhino and the synth cost me more being resin and billet steel back plate but I just don’t get it

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Why, just why not use some punctuation. I just don't get it either.

So I have 2 brushes a fine badger and a synth I did have a boar but hated it so in the bin it went the issue im having well not so much an issues I just do not understand why my badger brush gives me a lather that’s ten times better the my synth brush the badger is a nom brush and the synth is a grumpy rhino and the synth cost me more being resin and billet steel back plate but I just don’t get it

I find just the opposite. I get great lather from my synthetic brushes, better than any badger or boar I have tried. When it comes to making lather, IMO you can't beat a synthetic brush.

Love my badgers. Synths do whip up lather nicely for me, but I like the way boars and badgers feel on my face sooooo much better.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I love my synthetics and use them almost every day. When I want to go luxury, I'll use one of the two badgers I own. I haven't been reaching for any of my boar brushes lately as I haven't wanted to bother soaking them. That's sad. I think I'll soak and use a boar tomorrow.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suspect it's a water/product issue. Do you load them both the same amount of time? Does the badger load faster.

There's no advantage to over-complicating lather. If you load plenty of soap it's just a question of how much water to add and how long it takes to build the lather you want.

I'd try a longer load time and playing with water ratio and building time.

Also, nothing unusual about preferring one brush over another.

I
I suspect it's a water/product issue. Do you load them both the same amount of time? Does the badger load faster.

There's no advantage to over-complicating lather. If you load plenty of soap it's just a question of how much water to add and how long it takes to build the lather you want.

i use the same hard soap same bowl the only changing factor is the brush, I just find the badger brush whips it up alot faster and it’s a nicer lather. I assumed it was the difference in bristle’s as the badger has a lot of give and the synth doesn’t

Why, just why not use some punctuation. I just don't get it either.
It’s not that I don’t use it, I text type everything.
Also because my brain works alot faster then my hands, in turn I skip words and punctuation and when I’m in a rush I don’t review what I have written.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It’s not that I don’t use it, I text type everything.
Also because my brain works alot faster then my hands, in turn I skip words and punctuation and when I’m in a rush I don’t review what I have written.
OK, gotta run and hide now, they just texted me "Lets eat grandpa!"

Are you adding the same amount of water for both types of brushes? I wonder if the synthetic is picking up more soap because it has more backbone , or bristle stiffness, and so it actually needs more water to get to the right consistency .

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

What kind of badger and synthetic brush are you using? Your synthetic might be not optimal to lather with compared to ones from Maggard's/Stirling. Most people have easier time with synthetic so that is a weird case.

How old is your synthetic brush? What brand? There are plenty out there that are touted to compete with pure badger quality if not superior, but it depends on the brush. Just like a synthetic paint brush, you get the $7 full set and the $49 single red tacklon supreme brush

YMMV but your synthetic brush may be garbage.

I think it comes down to density and how fine the tips are.

Some say boars start out crappy latherers because the tips have yet to split . If a boar brush has a 1000 bristles and they all do the 3-way split, now you have 3000 tips agitating your soap instead of 1000. Ever boar I have ever used has changed over use. Boars can be a huge PITA but are fun so there.

Synthetics are ususally very densely populated with many ultra fine tips. I've never had a synth that didn't lather like crazy. I just don't like the way they feel and splay in general, but they lather like crazy IME. I see why people love them so much, they are cheap and work right out of the box.

The lone badger I've used makes the best/quickest lather of everything I've tried, regardless of type. It's a cheap and pokey thing but man....there's something about this badger....While synthetics load up with soap quickly, this badger seems to create a tide-pool of action right on the puck that gives a lather so close to ready all I have to do is spread it on my face and am ready to go. It's densely populated with fine (though pokey) hairs, maybe that's why it makes such great lather, who knows.

I bet the more expensive badgers are amazing and can see why this forum is not called Boar & Blade or Synth & Blade.

Ultimately, don't worry about it. Just use whatever works. And man, seriously, use some periods here and there, they're easier on the eyes.

+1! IMO the point is to be flexible in terms of loading and water ratio to get an optimal lather for a particular brush!

Top Bottom