What's new

Why I am veering more towards creams than soaps.

Good evening all.

For some reason when I started to proper DE shave since I got my Sledgehammer razor I've always went for the soaps. Nowadays I find myself getting more creams than soaps. In my subjective opinion I find it easier to lather up creams than soaps and I have been happy with the results. Perhaps my experience of the GFT Coconut shaving soap has tainted my opinions of them? (Though my Amazon soap works well enough).

I don't really want to turn my back on soaps for good. There must be some good soaps that are just as good as creams.

Jason.

In Europe, sort of, your best bet is probably Haslinger and then SV. The former is cheap and easy to learn with and the latter is pure luxury, at a cost. Many of these do better if they are used frequently and not allowed to fully dry out.

If you can still find it, tallow Tabac is fantastically easy to lather. Similarly, Haslinger also lathers very easily.

Also, there are any number of croaps (e.g., Cella, Proraso) that will also lather easily.

Personally, I'm more of a soap guy than a cream guy. It's not that I dislike creams, but I find soaps to be more cost efficient. One of the most cost-efficient soaps I use (and love) is TOBS Sandalwood, which I bought for $5/puck from an online vendor. Before lathering, I bloom the puck by placing it face down in a Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl that has had hot/warm water filled to the tops of the grooves on the bottom of the bowl. With a minute of swirling my SOC finest badger brush across the face of the soap, a little of the bloom water, and a little agitation of my brush in the lather bowl, I can usually make a very nice lather with the TOBS soap.

I may not be super helpful here as I haven’t really tried creams other than Proraso. But most soaps I’ve tried have been pretty darn good. I’ve had sensitivity issues with a few, (I loved pdp, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be), but excepting that, I’ve had good luck. Some people find Mitchell’s finicky, especially with hard water, but I find it fantastic.

I agree, creams are easier than soaps and perform just as well, but I believe soaps are cheaper. My favorite cream is Kiss My Face, still around but hard to find after the brand was sold.

I had the same experience. I started out all-in on hard soaps and eventually drifted more towards creams. As a dedicated bowl latherer, I find creams more convenient. I scoop a small amount into my lather bowl and a few seconds lather I’ve got an abundance of lather. It’s quick, easy and tidy with fewer items floating around the sink area. Acqua di Parma, Baume, Castle Forbes, Fitjar Islands, Santa Maria Novella and Speick are a few of my favorites.

That said there are a few top performing hard soaps that I just can’t seem to live without. I’m looking at you Saponificio Varesino, Martin de Candre, Mitchell’s Wool Fat and DR Harris.

I started with creams and had great results with Musgo Real, Proraso and TOBS, but have moved to soaps like MdC, SV and DR Harris (incidentally exactly what @Tomo posted above). I think creams are better for beginners to wet shaving and if you're in a rush, especially if you face lather. However, if you are having a leisurely shave, I enjoy the process of blooming and bowl lathering with hard soaps. It's also a bonus that hard soaps seem more cost-effective in the long run for a higher quality product.

I started with creams and had great results with Musgo Real, Proraso and TOBS, but have moved to soaps like MdC, SV and DR Harris (incidentally exactly what @Tomo posted above). I think creams are better for beginners to wet shaving and if you're in a rush, especially if you face lather. However, if you are having a leisurely shave, I enjoy the process of blooming and bowl lathering with hard soaps. It's also a bonus that hard soaps seem more cost-effective in the long run for a higher quality product.
Totally agree. Musgo Real cream was a recent acquisition and I’m really enjoying that one too. Just got my second tube. I knew I was leaving one off.

I generally go for my hard soaps on the weekend when I have more time. There’s something quite enjoyable about building lather off a puck.

..I find it easier to lather up creams than soaps and I have been happy with the results.
Creams are easy to lather so I can see why you prefer them and GFT and TfOBS are readily available. The softer soaps like Cella, Vitos and Proraso are easy to load of the puck and produce great lathers so keep them in mind if you like a variation.
The triple milled soaps are harder to load and usually need blooming especially if not used daily.

I learned with cream, moved on to soaps for a few years, then went back to creams for daily use. For travel, I definitely prefer soap (especially a stick).

If I had to go back to soaps, I'd probably call on old favorites like Haslinger Schafmilch, and DR Harris Arlington.

I like both. I always have a cream in rotation just ion case I want a quick lather. Right now I have St. James of London Tonka and tobacco flower in rotation. I love this cream it is a luxury.

I remember Trumper’s soaps getting a thumbs down when I first started DE shaving so I’ve never bought one. The general gist of what I recall others saying was they weren’t worth the price. The creams however are as good as all of the other English brands in my experience having tried Sandalwood, Violet and Spanish Leather.

For me when it comes to soaps I have tended to prefer “croaps” but I have had really good experiences with D R Harris’ soaps and also LEA original.
I find Wickham Soap Co 1912 super easy to lather as well.

I still have more creams in my collection though.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I used only creams for years. Castle Forbes (Lavender and Lime) and Ultimate Comfort were excellent. They worked great and I'm not sure why I ended up with only soaps.

They both do the same job. Use what you like.

I prefer soaps.
I face lather and when using creams I grab a fingertip full and rub it into my face, then I have to mess around with the stuff that got between my fingers and wash the rest off my hands before I take the brush to my face.
None of this with soap, just swirl on the puck and straight to a face lather. I find it easier.

Top Bottom