What's new

Why do so many shaving related vendors have such bad customer service?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have not had any bad service from any vendors, at least at this point anyway.

I do want to give a shout out and huge thank you to @Blackland Razors for going above and beyond for me. I purchased a used Brassbird off the BST and discovered that the top cap was slightly uneven. Blackland saw the post and offered to send out a new cap!

That is customer service!

Be well
Jay
Shane goes above and beyond.

Shane goes above and beyond.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, Blackland is a BOUTIQUE Razor Company, they do not do restoration, sell blades, or accessories. Shane is in Razor business, he can make the BEST PRODUCT on Planet, but if his product support, and customer service suck. Bad review, people complaining about all his baggage on line, will KILL HIS BRAND.

Apparently he get this idea, does what he can do to be Someone who Understand Customer Service & Product Support, are and, is difference between success, and failure.

My experience has been pretty good dealing with retailers like Pasteur Pharmacy, Maggard Razors, Italian Barber and Smallflower. Also good have been some overseas vendors like Connaught, Gifts&Care, Yourshaving and Shavemac. All emails have been answered in a reasonable time. I haven't dealt much with the artisans directly, though.

As NorthernSoul said, and to that I’d like to add Canadian Fendrihan that too has an excellent service.

B.

This has been bothering me since I started wet shaving. I've mostly have had great service from the "big & well known" vendors. It's kept me coming back to them. But sometimes I run into items that are sold by others and all I get is silence. Product questions, delayed shipping etc..
It's annoying and frustrating and just makes me look elsewhere for whatever I need (including buying it from Europe). Currently I have product questions from 3 different vendors and days have gone by and nothing!
How do they keep business going with no communication?
If they're like that pre-sale, I can only imagine what it would be like if you'd ever have an issue after you've received the item(s).
Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna name any companies!
As an avid consumer of goods, I've have bought all sorts of things throughout my life. I've never seen it this bad with any other industry.
If you want to sell, you need communication with your customers!
And I don't want to hear the excuse of: "It's a side business" or "we're a small business".
Communication takes seconds and keeps customers happy!
I know tons of side businesses that service customers as they should.
So that's my rant (from an easy going person)
Let's hear what you think!
I haven't found this to be true. More a general issue with business large and small that has gotten worse over time. I have been waiting to receive a design for our headstone for 6 months. Unfortunately the business is out of state and the only one in the county. Find vendors you are happy with and support them. In most cases, other than where there is a monopoly, the bad apples will go out of business.

I have dealt with a number of venders in N America and Europe, and have not had one bad customer service issue. There are 2 venders that I especially want to point out that have bent over backwards to make things right. They are Shane at Blackland and Pasteurs Pharmacy. Shane in particular has always gotten back to me within a day.

Kill your business by not returning calls when VM says you will, Killer your4 business not replying to emails, Kill your business by not doing anything different then competition, or just offering no or poor customer service.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Currently I have product questions from 3 different vendors and days have gone by and nothing!
How do they keep business going with no communication?
If they're like that pre-sale, I can only imagine what it would be like if you'd ever have an issue after you've received the item(s).
And I don't want to hear the excuse of: "It's a side business" or "we're a small business".

What kind of product questions?

How were the questions submitted?

I wouldn't expect slow or no responses to pre-sale questions to predict responsiveness related to post-sale issues.

The fact is that being a small business makes a difference, and sometimes it simply factors in a respectful explanation of why a response was slow or fell in a crack.

Sometimes I marvel...

There used to be a few BBQ places, now we just have just one in town. Everything about it is wrong and maybe as a small business guy (very small business guy!) I look at things more closely.

You can eat there but most get it to carry out because... not clean, poor lighting, bad parking, lousy atmosphere, surly employees that appear to bathe once a week and it was always six days ago. Closed on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week they close at 6:00 p.m. during the dinner hour. Yes, they close during the dinner hour for the day. I find it jaw dropping.

And all of that is why they have poor ratings online, right? Wrong. The ratings are literally off the charts. Everyone loves it.

My experiences have overall been good to excellent with a few exceptions and those companies no longer get my business.

Communication and quality from Rudy Vey and Paladin for me far surpass a long-time famous brush maker. Blackland offers superb service and guidance.

I‘ve always been satisfied with Pasteur, Maggard and West Coast Shaving as well as Connaught and Modern Man in the UK.

I cannot say the same about big box or mall stores. Their product selection and customer service are lacking and have forced me to all too often make online purchases. The Art of Shaving stores illustrate what happens when customer service is not part of their normal operation.

Providing good customer experience, or service, is inexpensive way to retain, get referral business, and repeat customers.

Spending $1,000,000.00 advertising about great experience, great products and great product support is like flushing money do toilet. If it just words in ad copy backed by BullS**T, you just waisted money advertising

What kind of product questions?

How were the questions submitted?

I wouldn't expect slow or no responses to pre-sale questions to predict responsiveness related to post-sale issues.

The fact is that being a small business makes a difference, and sometimes it simply factors in a respectful explanation of why a response was slow or fell in a crack.
Pre-sale specifications questions submitted through webpage email contact form & straight up email. One of the 3 got back to me after I resubmitted my questions and they apologized.
Did the same (second email) for the other two and no response. So I've written them off!

Small businesses need to be more responsive (pre & post sale) in order to stay relevant and to actually profit. Everything else is simply an excuse and not valid.

If kit shaving supplies, or local fast food joint, if service, food, products, or prices suck, why would any person keep going back to be treated bad.

I use to work in little Mexican Restaurant in Burbank, California in the 1960's. I was BusBoy, gofer, pay was $1.25/hour, and a meal after my shift.

We were right across the street from Warner Brother Studio, we had big studio people business days end, the bar was busy, with drinks, and appetizers. Later in evening we had the dinner crowd, and again we were busy.

Place was know for quality drink and food, decent quantity, good prices, and great service. Back then place were clean, not BS.

30 years after H/S I find myself in Burbank work at assignment for State of CA, decided to hit the old Mexican Restaurant now across from Burbank Studios the old Warner Brother.

Meue was almost same, prices were up, ask waitress did Bill & Katie still own? She replied new owners, and how did I know the owners. Said 30 years ago was BusBoy here. Food came it tasted the sam e as I recall, I asked waitress who was Chief, she replied Elias, I said please ask guy to come see me. Same Elias had been there almost 40 years, he remember me, said I ate a lot. I said I still do, he brought me a second combo, said the bill was on him.

Yes it is possible to keep thing like they were if they are good. Never been back to Burbank again, but wonder if that old Mexican Restaurant still has Elias in kitchen. guy made great food.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Were these online vendors or makers?

Pre-sale specifications questions submitted through webpage email contact form & straight up email. One of the 3 got back to me after I resubmitted my questions and they apologized.
Did the same (second email) for the other two and no response. So I've written them off!

Small businesses need to be more responsive (pre & post sale) in order to stay relevant and to actually profit. Everything else is simply an excuse and not valid.

For your consideration...

Email can be a hit or miss proposition at times due to anti-spam measures and how the destination email service or mailbox is configured. My email service was once accidentally blacklisted for a period of time because spam was supposedly detected being sent using one of the servers (I am pretty sure this was a false positive), and a message I sent was simply never delivered to the destination, and there was no notification of the failure. This is probably not that common, but it's possible. I have also encountered situations where the responder's system is misconfigured and the response never makes it back. And as we all know, spam folders occasionally contain legitimate messages.

I guess my point is that it is possible that the person you're sending the email to never saw your email in the first place, or they responded but you never received it. I would try an alternate means of contact (if available) to rule out non-responsiveness.

(Of course, you could be entirely correct that they saw your message and didn't reply...)

For your consideration...

Email can be a hit or miss proposition at times due to anti-spam measures and how the destination email service or mailbox is configured.
That is absolutely inexcusable with regard to a business, be it big OR small!

My only issue, documented elsewhere here, was with Italian Barber, over sending the wrong razor that had been unknowingly mis packaged. Their knee jerk reaction was to tell me that their margins are so minimal that i should be happy with what I got and to be placated with a $10 credit. They ultimately acquiesced and sent the correct baseplate for the razor.

Top Bottom