What's new

Why do people lather with only "painting" strokes?

This is a trend I have been noticing lately. Seeing lots of YouTube videos where guys are lathering using only "painting" strokes and never actually scrubbing with the brush and building a nice thick lather. The lather end up looking thin and frail. Seems like it takes a lot longer than it should as well. Hoping someone can help me understand the point of this.

This is a trend I have been noticing lately. Seeing lots of YouTube videos where guys are lathering using only "painting" strokes and never actually scrubbing with the brush and building a nice thick lather. The lather end up looking thin and frail. Seems like it takes a lot longer than it should as well. Hoping someone can help me understand the point of this.
I guess it also depends on the soap and the amount they are loading on their brush. This method works for them and they prefer it to scrubbing.
I personally don't follow everything I see on YouTube or in forums. I just do what works for me. If i have more stubble, I scrub. If I have less stubble, I just use the painting method.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Some think it adds too much air if you do the scrubbing work.

Among other reasons already mentioned.

I prefer mostly scrubbing. Gives me a better feel with the brush.

(Sent from mobile)

If you're face-lathering with shaving sticks, standard practice is to keep working more water in until the soap is ready to lather up.

You put a little water on the brush, work it in evenly with painting strokes, and repeat until the soap is saturated. Different soaps take different amounts of water. Arko and Tabac, for example, can take quite a lot.

Finally, when the soap is glistening and starting to slop off the brush, scrub with a vigorous circular motion to work up a lather.

The best synthetic cashmere brushes are very soft and shouldn't irritate your skin. Eg try AP Shave Co.

For whatever it's worth, I have a tuxedo synthetic brush that seems to work best with primarily painting strokes to build a lather. Scrubbing motions never seem to add very much to the lather quality when I use that brush, and I get fantastic results with it. By contrast, I have two badger brushes that need a good scrub in addition to painting to make a similar quality lather.

So maybe it's brush specific for some folks. That's been my experience anyway.

Personal preference. Neither method is inherently better than the other. Besides, what really matters is the slickness of the lather, as any Cremo fan will tell us, not the thickness.

Depends on my brush for the biggest part
My badgers and Yaqi faux horse have easy splay that works just fine
The first two also great face lathers
Had a zenith horse which was also a very comfy splaying face latherer

my other synthetics are more paint brushes and work great as bowl katheters.

so it depends highly on which brush I use and if I face or bowl lather.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Everyone likes lather different, some people like it like thick icing; some people in B&B like to add moisture to make lather shiny and even fluid.
With the adjustment of skills, some people like to use thinner lather so as to be able to grasp the condition of the skin.

There is no right or wrong, as long as your skin is comfortable.
Don’t forget that people a hundred years ago didn’t even popular "Three Passes".

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Several brush manufacturers recommend painting in lieu of scrubbing. They claim it is better for the brush. Simpson, I believe, is one.

Me, I just happily scrub away with my synths without apparent damage. I like to push those whiskers around, show 'em who's boss.

I start of by bowl lathering to build a lather and then finish with what I would class as paint strokes (They are more like semi-circle strokes) as I find it more of a natural action for me and I've never had a problem with thin or frail lather. Also worth noting that a lot of brush companies advise painting strokes instead of scrubbing.

1625565157023.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I start of by bowl lathering to build a lather and then finish with what I would class as paint strokes (They are more like semi-circle strokes) as I find it more of a natural action for me and I've never had a problem with thin or frail lather. Also worth noting that a lot of brush companies advise painting strokes instead of scrubbing.

View attachment 1292616

I take their advice with a grain of salt. Being a cookware manufacturer doesn't mean you know how to make a gourmet meal.

Top Bottom