What's new

Why do DEs develop cracks?

I have noticed that it is considered 'common' for older razors to have developed cracks in the barrel.

I've been scratching my head over this for a while and can't figure out how this would happen so regularly. Did gillette make them too brittle or something? Or is this the result of decades of burly men tightening their razors with the help of pliers? :confused:

My guess is that the handles are composed of a tube with a threaded end and knob "hammered" in each end... the tube may or may not be formed by a strip formed in to a tube and welded down the seam rather than extruded (ie. squeezed out like toothpaste and having no seam)... that weld would be an obvious weak point (especially if it's under constant pressure from the knocked in end...)

This really only applies to the Old Types and some of the New Improved razors of the very early years. The handles were made of brass tubes with a solid neck and a solid knob at the end. It is where these necks and knobs are inserted into tubes that the cracks occur. All later Gillettes were made with thicker, more solid handles.

When metal is exposed to head or cold it expands or contracts.
The expansion rates for the solid plugs and the hollow tube are going to be slightly different.
The cracks are probably happening where the metal was originally joined.
Also if the razor is dropped on the head or butt it will act like a wedge and split the tube.
These were inexpensive items that have lasted much long they the manufacturers intended.

The handles are assembled via a 'press-fit' or 'interference fit'. This places a rather serious strain or stress on the material. Over a period of years, the stress may relieve itself in the form of a fracture (ie, a crack) in the material.

I've seen NOS, unused, still-wrapped, new Gillette 3-piece razors that had a cracked handle. Like Bob says, these razors are waaaay beyond any expected service life. Finding an old Gillette razor handle without the crack is somewhat of a rarity; even so, a crack can form at any time. It's just something we all live with.

-- John Gehman

When metal is exposed to head or cold it expands or contracts.
The expansion rates for the solid plugs and the hollow tube are going to be slightly different.
The cracks are probably happening where the metal was originally joined.
Also if the razor is dropped on the head or butt it will act like a wedge and split the tube.
These were inexpensive items that have lasted much long they the manufacturers intended.

The handles are assembled via a 'press-fit' or 'interference fit'. This places a rather serious strain or stress on the material. Over a period of years, the stress may relieve itself in the form of a fracture (ie, a crack) in the material.

I've seen NOS, unused, still-wrapped, new Gillette 3-piece razors that had a cracked handle. Like Bob says, these razors are waaaay beyond any expected service life. Finding an old Gillette razor handle without the crack is somewhat of a rarity; even so, a crack can form at any time. It's just something we all live with.

-- John Gehman

Very nice explanations gents!

Some of these razors are nearing 100 years old and are still perfectly functional and they'll still be in another 100. Just think what of what we make today would last that long with only minor problems like cracks.

ah, the explanation of the press fit in particular has cleared this up. Being an engineer, I wonder about these sorts of things.

Thanks for filling me in.
-R

I have a few that are cracked and I am wondering if there is a best method of repairing or patching the crack to stop further damage.

I have a few that are cracked and I am wondering if there is a best method of repairing or patching the crack to stop further damage.

I have heard that some use epoxy, but the how to is something I would be very interested in as well. One of my favorites razors in my rotation is a Gillette Old Style and it has a hairline crack at the neck.

I bought a NOS Palmolive give-away NEW (1930) that had no handle cracks. After about six months in rotation with other razors, it has now developed a crack. I haven't dropped or otherwise abused it; just normal use.

Dan --

I suspect that there's little likelihood of 'further damage', that is, of the crack expanding. It seems that once the stress is relieved via the fracture, the crack doesn't continue to grow on its own. I suppose you could heavily tighten then handle onto the razor head repeatedly with usage, and create (a lot of) additional stress on the handle. But light, gentle usage shouldn't add to the crack once it's formed.

Most repairs reported here at B&B seem to be with epoxies. I suspect the best form of repair would be to sweat a little coating of solder into the crack and then hand polish the excess back to the repaired crack. I don't have sufficient skill and haven't 'repaired' the cracked razors I possess.

-- John Gehman

soldering the cracks is an interesting idea, although I'll probably need a more powerful soldering gun if I'm going to be sinking heat into something that large...

Epoxy is probably the best. I once epoxied a hole the size of a quarter in a washing machine outer tub. Worked fine for years. The machine was eventually lost in a house fire, but the patch never leaked.

Top Bottom