What's new

Why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

I use both cream and soap for a really close shave particularly for the tough jawline stubble. First I rub soap directly into the tough stubble then massage with cream. When you do this you don't need to use a face scrub to exfoliate.

IMO cream is more suited for lazy people like me. Soaps, especially the hard types, are for the true aficionado looking for the true wet shaving experience.

Soap because it’s easier to load the shaving brush. Every time I use cream I make a mess to apply to the brush or to my face. I still use creams every once in a while.

Soap because The best soaps are vintage soaps and that’s what I use. I don’t think vintage creams have made it 50+ years
I use both but slightly prefer soaps. I have plenty of vintage of both and its true soaps survive longer than creams, I have and use some 80+ year old soaps but I do have vintage creams as well, though not as old. I also both face and bowl lather both depending on the mood I'm in. But back to why I slightly prefer soaps, I find them a little slicker. Creams though are easier and faster.

Cream is what you get out of a can. I spent way too long on that treadmill and want nothing more to do with them. Give me a hard soap or croap and let the brush and some water work their magic.

Primarily a soap guy especially tallow and triple milled. Adds real feel to the ritual with a mug, a soap puck and a brush.

But I also indulge in good creams once in a while to bowl lather. Plus many good Indian shave creams for a dollar too good to ignore alongside the US and European classics.

Generallly soaps, as they seem to provide a better shave, are generally cheaper, and more environmentally sound (less packaging products per shave). That said, there are plenty of interesting croaps and creams out there to completetly avoid. I'm not dedicated to any one product here like I am to one particular blade.

I too seem to get a better quality lather from my soap than from creams. Honestly though it might just be my lather making skills with creams needs more work. I do have some Wickham soap coming tomorrow that I think is technically a croap. I have heard good stuff about it. Then again when my wife wanted a suggestion for a Christmas gift I pointed her to a Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar gift set on Ebay that comes with a cream. I have read excellent reviews on their creams. At this point in time I will just say that I use all of the above.

Mainly soap but the the only real exception at home is St James of London. I love their creams.

I also use creams frequently (Nivea and Proraso) when I travel.

I think I end up more creams than soaps, mainly because I enjoy TOBS creams so much and there’s nothing like Proraso on a cold winter morning.

What you get out of a can is foam or goo.
I'm pretty sure it's Barbasol shaving cream as well as many other brands of canned cream. To be sure what you get out of a can is a different beast than tobs or the like but to me a cream is a cream.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's Barbasol shaving cream as well as many other brands of canned cream. To be sure what you get out of a can is a different beast than tobs or the like but to me a cream is a cream.
One lathers up when used with a brush the other does not. But I understand you, although I have some very good creams, I prefer a good soap. Which reminds me of one thing creams have going for them. Although the best creams aren't as good as the best soaps, there are no really bad creams. There are some just plain unworkable soaps, like when Trumper reformulated theirs or certain incarnations of C&E soaps. Another thing, I'm not a fan of soft soaps. The exception being Boellis Panama.

as a newbie..... since I’ve left the “can of goo” I have only tried sir hare soap. but I think it works well has a good smell and I can lather in the jar.

Technically both are soaps. One is a hard soap, the other a soft soap. Both are made out of saponified triglycerides and/or saponified fatty-acids. It is like asking if you prefer ready to use windscreen washer fluid or if you prefer to mix own from concentrate. One is more convenient and the other is lasting longer but both are the same at the core.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I likes 'em all. Nothing like a rich tallow soap in a warm badger brush on a cold day. And there's also nothing like squirting way too much Ingram or Proraso or some other mentholated cream into a big boar knot on a hot day.

Top Bottom