What's new

Why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

I just came upon this thread. Interestingly, I am tempted to answer "both," but I do not think that is honest, and I do not know why I am tempted to say that. I own both creams and soaps, and croaps, for that matter, and I like a lot of them, but I doubt if I actually use a cream as often as once a month. In fact, unlike everything else I do as far as personal grooming, such as razors, brushes, scents, where I seem to switch around a lot, I seem to use the same shaving soap day after day for months or more at a time. These days, MdC. Before that, Arko.

I do not think I have any great problem lathering anything. I suppose some creams feel like they leave some kind of moisturizer behind, which I do not like the feel of.

I’ve noticed that there are the soap men, and then there are the cream men, and never the twain shall meet (well not usually).

So, explain to me - why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

Dove soap mixed with a little coconut oil.
It's very creamy !

DSCN1017b.jpg

I've acquired too many of all types. As such, some of the creams have dried out. They still work and smell fine, can be rehydrated, or lathered like a croap. The past couple of years I've only been using creams so I can go through them and become more minimalist. All I really need is Tabac and Proraso green croap.

Soap guy here. Brush, soap and water to create a functional lather is a pretty basic process. Never saw the point of cream though I'm sure it has its advantages to those who prefer it.

From when I started until about a month ago, it was creams all the way. I started with a bay rum cream and sandalwood soap. By the time we figured out my olsest daughter was allergic to sandalwood, I developed a good lather with the cream. I replaced the soap with unscented cream.

Fast forward to a month ago. I got it in my head at the start of the new year, I want to learn the art of the shavette (I don't want to worry about maintenance). That gives me to Christmas to learn soaps. So I'm switching over to soaps. At least for a while.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like soaps more these days especially shave sticks. Face lathering them is fun and minimalist. No bowl to worry about. I only use creams every now and then.
This is my reasoning.

I even have taken to rubbing the pucks on my face and building the lather that way. I never have to fight with the lather. Once I got good at making lather in a bowl I kinda got bored with the process. I am ADHD, so there's that!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol, back again.

I like creams because I can put some directly on a moist brush and lather that on my face as well.
But for some reason I just tend to reach for soaps more often than a tube.

Never checked in here. I have been using creams at home and sticks on the road for the better part of the last couple of years. The main reason is that I picked up a couple handsful of great European creams when traveling, and I feel I need to use them before they go bad. Prior to acquiring these creams, I was almost exclusively a soap user. I did have to get the Proraso and C.O. Bigelow and Macca Root creams out of the way early on, but it had been pretty much soaps for me until recently. I will continue with creams for a bit as I have a bunch of Portuguese and Spanish and German tubes stocked up, but then it will be back to soaps. I like the simplicity of a puck of soap in a mug or a stick as opposed to a cream, which is kinda prehydrated soap. Yes, it takes a little longer to incorporate some water into a soap, but we're talking seconds difference.

After trying to make myself remember to use some creams, it seems I naturally default to soaps, or , at least, to MdC. I do not consciously perceive a big difference.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I've been a "soft soap" man for my entire wet shaving life because here in Italy soft soaps have always been extremely popular.

Now, however, I am enjoying the pleasure of hard soaps, both in puck and stick shape. And there are more that I want to try...

Sometimes I use a hard soap like the Fat, or one of the Stirling soaps, but I often fall back to Taylor of Old Bond Street. It’s what I started with and I love how easy it is to work with. But, I really love the slickness of The Fat. Sometimes I mix TOBS with TheFat for a thick luxurious lather with Uber slickness with hardly any fuss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I use cream.
In a can.
Also known as shaving foam or ,after the invention of the internetS, "goo that it's impossible to shave with" (before the internetS nobody had problems with it and almost all men used it with DEs and SEs since the 50s)

:)

I have been DE shaving since 1980 and tried "brush shaving" both with creams in a tube and soaps a few times and didn't like both of them,only thing they added to my shave was extra time and mess in the bathroom.

My favourites are still good old Barbasol when I am in the US and Proraso red when I am in Europe (Barbasol is marginally "better").

Last edited:
Soaps, croaps and creams, I use them all. Each have their own benefits and small pitfalls. However the majority of the time I use a soap or a croap mainly because my shave cream collection is rather small compared to the others.

Top Bottom