What's new

Why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

Sometimes I use a hard soap like the Fat, or one of the Stirling soaps, but I often fall back to Taylor of Old Bond Street. It’s what I started with and I love how easy it is to work with. But, I really love the slickness of The Fat. Sometimes I mix TOBS with TheFat for a thick luxurious lather with Uber slickness with hardly any fuss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Surely this is a euphemism.....

Sometimes I use a hard soap like the Fat, or one of the Stirling soaps, but I often fall back to Taylor of Old Bond Street. It’s what I started with and I love how easy it is to work with. But, I really love the slickness of The Fat. Sometimes I mix TOBS with TheFat for a thick luxurious lather with Uber slickness with hardly any fuss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Surely this is a euphemism.....
We accept all types, including bisoapsuals

Ever tried two types of soaps at once?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As Ralph said in Groundhog Day said, "I think both." I enjoy sandalwood, and TOBS in both versions is fine. However, when it is my money on the line, getting a year from a cake of soap versus six months for a tub of cream, soap wins. The hedonist in me likes good stuff, but the Scot likes the better deal. I once had AOS both cream and soap. I liked them better than TOBS because of the stronger sandalwood scent, just not enough better to pay the crazy premium.

Superlathers are useful for those soaps that smell great but underperform. Or those soaps that are weak in fragrance and you want to boost the scent profiles. In other words-you use a cream and a soap to 'boost' the other. I have a few old british pucks that are absolutely abhorrent performers but smell great. I use a great performing unscented cream [trufitt & hill] to get that fragrance and performance from the pucks during my shave, and the cream +soap makes for a fine shave. Many [me included] will add a couple of drops of glycerin and /or lanolin to the cream- lather mix.

So, load your brush from the puck, and bowl lather the cream, glycerin, lanolin mix. Experimentation has been fun, and I have many combinations that have rescued marginal performing/smelling soaps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does anyone use glycerine SS? It has been a long time since I have

Neutrogena is a glycerin soap.
I've used Neutrogena and I've used Dove Shea Butter,
both with coconut oil.
I like the quality of the feel of the lather of the Neutrogena oil combo
very extremely slightly better than that of the Dove oil combo,
but I like the smell of the Dove Shea Butter a lot.

I've never experienced a super lather before. Unsure if I would be able to handle it. I'm relatively inexperienced in the shaving world.

As my Dad used say: 'never trust a man who can't handle his superlather, and ESPECIALLY never trust a man who superlathers with Gillette!'

I started with VDH Luxury soap then moved on to Proraso and Cella croaps as well as TOBS Sandalwood soap in a wood bowl and Arko. I liked or loved all of them. I mean it, I even liked the Arko! 😁

I never tried creams before so I recently loaded up in some cream in tubs. I'm currently using AOS Olivanum + Pepper. While I've gotten good shaves with the AOS, I think I still prefer the croaps. I have a feeling once I work my way through the creams I've recently collected, I'll stick to soaps.

That said, I do think loading with the creams is faster and could help save time. However, I'm treating DE shaving as a luxury. What's an additional 20-30 seconds?

Don't discount the role of the brush in this topic. As I have been learning to use a straight for the last two months, my shaves have lasted upward of an hour, and I have found that my cream lathers have lasted longer on badger than on boar, so I have gotten into the habit of using cream on my badgers and soaps like Stirling on my boars.

The good news is that I am now getting much faster with the straight. Will be interesting to see if the cream/badger, soap/boar matching sticks.

Top Bottom