What's new

Why Acqua di Parma?

Well it mattered enough to kill XXX I guess?

I think you misunderstood my point.

XXX was never meant to be a regular production product; we were offered it by luck and moved forward with a run to test a theory; it would be nice to get more only because it's a steady seller and makes customers happy but it doesn't bother me that it's gone because I never really used it much myself. There are so many better bases than AdP, considering the price-point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48987

Joe, it would be great if you could list some soaps or creams that you believe to be of high quality. As someone "in the know", what are some products that you view as great?

XXX was never meant to be a regular production product; we were offered it by luck and moved forward with a run to test a theory; it would be nice to get more only because it's a steady seller and makes customers happy but it doesn't bother me that it's gone because I never really used it much myself. There are so many better bases than AdP, considering the price-point.

That's very true and one can say that of it's "cousin" MDC. I'm a total fan of it but within it's zip code are soaps that offer comparable performance and most certainly better price. I often wonder if a soap like Klar/Calani were packaged expensively would it receive rave reviews? I believe products like Adp & Mdc sell due to their exclusivity, location and marketing.
(Sorry Joe I wanted to like RR but got a bit to much tingle from them. You did an awesome job bringing them to the masses though. Couldn't even wrap my head around the logistics of it alone. Again, great job!)

so this really was the same exact product? it smelled and looked slightly different to me, but that could have been due to age..

Excellent post. My take on this is that the whole experience of using the Collezione Barbiere products is a luxurious one which reeks of quality. I submit that there is probably no other "range" of products in all of shavedom in which all of the individual items are of such top quality. From the shaving cream (both tub and tube are excellent), to the facial scrub and the top-of-the-heap aftershaves, there is not a weak player on the team. Most of the other "ranges" of products (DRH. GFT, TOBS) are stronger in some areas and weaker in others. In my opinion, they tend to have subpar aftershave offerings, which is a particularly strong point with AdP. If one even compares the wenge wood razor handle and brush from AdP CB to the tacky AOS offerings (neither of which I have direct experience with), AdP just seems to know like no others how to keep things elegant. But is all this worth the price - that's everyone's individual call.

Nancy Boy offers a range that will hold up to any offerings.

Well, today was Day 7 of my AdP Challenge. I've used it consistently - same razor, brush, and blades, and I just don't get it. Yes, it is a good soap. Yes, it smells good. But no, it's not my best soap. I really and truly think I prefer Mike's, T&H, and TOBS. I suppose my mileage varies. Having said that, I am so unbelievably amazed with the efficiency of AdP, that I'm seriously starting to think the $65 price point needs to be balanced out against the fact that I am easily getting double the mileage from this jar than I would from any other I've tried. In fact, compared to my $15 jar of TOBS, I think the AdP probably would last three times as long. Admittedly, I could be more careful when loading TOBS, but I find it generally just gets eaten up, even by a badger.

The most important lesson I've learned is that I really can't stand using the same product every day. Thank goodness there's so much good stuff to be had.

Cheers,
Rob

Well, today was Day 7 of my AdP Challenge. I've used it consistently - same razor, brush, and blades, and I just don't get it. Yes, it is a good soap. Yes, it smells good. But no, it's not my best soap. I really and truly think I prefer Mike's, T&H, and TOBS. I suppose my mileage varies. Having said that, I am so unbelievably amazed with the efficiency of AdP, that I'm seriously starting to think the $65 price point needs to be balanced out against the fact that I am easily getting double the mileage from this jar than I would from any other I've tried. In fact, compared to my $15 jar of TOBS, I think the AdP probably would last three times as long. Admittedly, I could be more careful when loading TOBS, but I find it generally just gets eaten up, even by a badger.

The most important lesson I've learned is that I really can't stand using the same product every day. Thank goodness there's so much good stuff to be had.

Cheers,
Rob

i didn't think TOBs Mr. Taylor was that good, if it was representative of TOBS… never tried T&H, and i have some samples of Mike's that my brother got me that smell great..

interesting thought about the load use longevity, hard to do without using up a product straight or keeping count…

And i agree, i like variety too..

Cheers,
Rob

I told my wife the same thing but I don't have the time, money or patience to apply this to women!

I received a package in the mail today, 2 pucks of MWF, and my wife said...you just sold 4 pucks of AoS and now you have 2 more? Yes, I'm down 2 soldiers...but have another on the way!

Excellent post. My take on this is that the whole experience of using the Collezione Barbiere products is a luxurious one which reeks of quality. I submit that there is probably no other "range" of products in all of shavedom in which all of the individual items are of such top quality. From the shaving cream (both tub and tube are excellent), to the facial scrub and the top-of-the-heap aftershaves, there is not a weak player on the team. Most of the other "ranges" of products (DRH. GFT, TOBS) are stronger in some areas and weaker in others. In my opinion, they tend to have subpar aftershave offerings, which is a particularly strong point with AdP. If one even compares the wenge wood razor handle and brush from AdP CB to the tacky AOS offerings (neither of which I have direct experience with), AdP just seems to know like no others how to keep things elegant. But is all this worth the price - that's everyone's individual call.[/QUOTE

Yes Valdez,I basically agree with what you stated. I bekieve I would also include the 'range' of Castle Forbes shaving products. All are excellent IMO and the CF Lime Shave cream and Aftershave Balm are both absolutely superb.

Craig]

Yes Valdez,I basically agree with what you stated. I bekieve I would also include the 'range' of Castle Forbes shaving products. All are excellent IMO and the CF Lime Shave cream and Aftershave Balm are both absolutely superb

I second that!! Fantastic range of products.

I still find AdP as the best shaving cream I've ever tried. It's combination of cushion, slickness, longevitiy, scent, presentation, and how your face feels after puts it above the rest.

While CF shave creams and after shave balms are very good, their colognes could use some help.

I agree - the scents are not very imaginative. I liked 1445 once upon a time but soon sold it on.

I still find AdP as the best shaving cream I've ever tried. It's combination of cushion, slickness, longevitiy, scent, presentation, and how your face feels after puts it above the rest.

I couldn't agree with you more. CF may be good as well, but in my case only due to the travel size jar which I have in the wash bag and have sneakily used a few times recently 'just because'!! Otherwise, give me AdP any day!!

Acqua Di Parma, Martin de Candre and Xpec are my favorites soaps/croaps/creams based on performance and scent, but my go-to product is still C-F Lavender. Maybe I'm just hoarding the others because they are so expensive.

oh yeah!

proxy.php

can you tell I am a fan?

Top Bottom