What's new

Why Acqua di Parma?

Today was Day 2 with AdP and I found that I did get a better shave than yesterday. I added a little more water and the result was definitely a slicker shave. Still not the best shave I've had, but very good. I'll give it at least a week to build a better rapport with the product and see if I'm singing its praises. I sincerely hope it doesn't become my favourite soap, as I can't afford to love it that much. Although, I am saving a lot on cartridges...

CO Bigelow provides 20% off coupon codes several times a year. ADP products sell out very quickly.

Everything is on sale, especially when ordering from Europe. Automatic 20% VAT discount! I can order 2 pucks of MWF from Carbolic in the UK and have it shipped for the same price as buying 1 puck in the US.

Oh man, now I'm wishing I lived over there!! AdP is a great brand and quite hard to find discounted here in the UK, unless you use some SA's staff discount :laugh:

I see CO Bigelow mentioned a lot on these boards so I'm guessing it's US-based?

Today was Day 2 with AdP and I found that I did get a better shave than yesterday. I added a little more water and the result was definitely a slicker shave. Still not the best shave I've had, but very good. I'll give it at least a week to build a better rapport with the product and see if I'm singing its praises. I sincerely hope it doesn't become my favourite soap, as I can't afford to love it that much. Although, I am saving a lot on cartridges...

Keep at it!! It takes a while to get used to the lathering of this cream/soap and believe me it will last you aaaaggggeeeesssss!!!!

Biochemica of Italy makes ADP and made 5000 units of XXX. Some have said they are not the same but close etc etc, color and texture can change with age but they are the same.

I have no opinion on whether they are the exactly the same or not. However, I think it's important to point out that the FDA has very specific regulations regarding the labeling of the products. Without getting into all the technical aspects of these rules, a major issue is that ingredients must be listed in order of prominence. A review of the labels of each product reveal significant differences in both the order as well as number of ingredients. So if they are in fact identical, some explanation should be offered detailing the cause of the differences in the labeling. Biochemica is a large very sophisticated manufacturer who is keenly aware of these rules and would have presumably provided RR & AdP with the information necessary to label their products correctly.

I don't get any better results from AdP than I do from AoS or ToBS really. Though it is nice to keep on hand when I want to switch things up.

You have to read all of Joes posts and an interview about it is floating around somewhere. He holds some info back but basically says its the same and was surprised to see xxx even made. Common sense tells me if it was different it would still be made. Label is a valid point and a good question for Joe, Perhaps some substititions, different names for the same thing, or inactive ingredients that have no real effect. Many people have said XXX affects their skin in a different way so who knows. Joe would say ADP sits on shelves for a long time before sold so that change it's color and makeup.

I have no opinion on whether they are the exactly the same or not. However, I think it's important to point out that the FDA has very specific regulations regarding the labeling of the products. Without getting into all the technical aspects of these rules, a major issue is that ingredients must be listed in order of prominence. A review of the labels of each product reveal significant differences in both the order as well as number of ingredients. So if they are in fact identical, some explanation should be offered detailing the cause of the differences in the labeling. Biochemica is a large very sophisticated manufacturer who is keenly aware of these rules and would have presumably provided RR & AdP with the information necessary to label their products correctly.

Last edited:
I'll tell the OP why AdiP doesn't excite you....and forgive me if you feel robbed after my post as I feel robbed.

When you drop a crapload of coin on a great soap (yes - it IS a great soap and I have it) you want to feel you have something special and unique...one of a kind.

I felt that way until I bought RazorRock XXX...then I felt robbed. AdiP is better than XXX. I'd put XXX 97% of the way to AdiP. That makes AdiP not so unique in my book. There's no doubt though that AdiP comsumes less soap than XXX per shave. A little AdiP goes a long way.

The only thing out there that is unique and deserves the money is MdC.

AdP is the most overpriced product I've ever tried - and I've tried quite a lot of pricey ones. Now to be fair, the scent never did anything for me so that's part of it. But in terms of performance, I'd rank it firmly in the middle of the pack. I sold my XXX after a half dozen shaves because even at 15% of the price of AdP, it still wasn't as good as any of the other soaps or creams in my den. It has decent slickness and average protection.

In my experience AdP is one of the best products I own. I had XXX first and loved it. XXX turned out to be a gateway drug for the real thing. From what I could gather they were very similar but not exactly the same. The scents and consistency were different enough to be noticed. During usage they very close.

As for AdP, I love the scent. I'm a huge fan of AdP Colonia and the croap is identical to the heart note of Colonia. Lathering up AdP is simple and I'm able to get lather with butter cream consistancy in no time. I find it to be very slick, very protective and conditions my skin than any other product.

Is it worth the price? That's a YMMV question. For me the answer is yes. I'd use it daily if I could afford to, but I can't. So I use it for my Sunday shave - something I very much look forward to.

In my experience AdP is one of the best products I own. I had XXX first and loved it. XXX turned out to be a gateway drug for the real thing. From what I could gather they were very similar but not exactly the same. The scents and consistency were different enough to be noticed. During usage they very close.

As for AdP, I love the scent. I'm a huge fan of AdP Colonia and the croap is identical to the heart note of Colonia. Lathering up AdP is simple and I'm able to get lather with butter cream consistancy in no time. I find it to be very slick, very protective and conditions my skin than any other product.

Is it worth the price? That's a YMMV question. For me the answer is yes. I'd use it daily if I could afford to, but I can't. So I use it for my Sunday shave - something I very much look forward to.

:a14:

I'm curious what soaps/creams you have ranked above AdP? :huh:

Croaps:
Strop Shoppe Special Edition
Cella

Soaps:
La Toja
AoS Sandalwood (tallow)
MdC
Czech & Speake
Valobra
Klar Seifen

Creams:
Taylor's Coconut (Avocado, Rose and Jermyn Street are fantastic performers too - but I only love the smell of the Coconut)
Proraso Red (sandalwood)
Trumper's Almond
Penhaligons' BB
Tet-A-Tet

Last edited:
Top Bottom