What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

This was restored and given to me by Bill Ellis - and if memory serves me correctly - he believed this was 1700's...
full

I love antiques of many kinds, but I think this is really beautiful! What does it say on the tang?

Last edited by a moderator:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Here are pics of two recent snags. I hope to be shaving with them in the very near future.

Nayler? Perhaps Pre-1830's Naylor & Sanderson mentioned in Doyle's
The wooden homemade scales on this one have been doctored up with a pencil inscription "Old Timer" 1771 which I think is laughable and "done up". The razor is clearly not of late 18th Century vintage, but still a very old piece. The scales near the stub tail are not broken but rather carved and fluted in that scooped out shape on both sides. Back pin has a bullseye washer and the front is a simple nail peened down.

Clark & Hall Warranted in Patina Yellowed Wafer-thin Ivory with great looking brass? bullseye pinning. This is the second Clark & Hall I have acquired recently.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
2 more VERY scarce Sheffield Cutlers

James Johnson Silver Steel and Shinner Warranted

The Shinner especially so... it is mentioned in Doyle's but I've not seen another one online.

Here are pics of two recent snags. I hope to be shaving with them in the very near future.

Nayler? Perhaps Pre-1830's Naylor & Sanderson mentioned in Doyle's
The wooden homemade scales on this one have been doctored up with a pencil inscription "Old Timer" 1771 which I think is laughable and "done up". The razor is clearly not of late 18th Century vintage, but still a very old piece. The scales near the stub tail are not broken but rather carved and fluted in that scooped out shape on both sides. Back pin has a bullseye washer and the front is a simple nail peened down.

Clark & Hall Warranted in Patina Yellowed Wafer-thin Ivory with great looking brass? bullseye pinning. This is the second Clark & Hall I have acquired recently.

2 more VERY scarce Sheffield Cutlers

James Johnson Silver Steel and Shinner Warranted

The Shinner especially so... it is mentioned in Doyle's but I've not seen another one online.

Wow. Those are all nice. I must be shopping in the wrong place?

Kevin,
Only the yellowed Ivory scaled Clark & Hall was an eBay "get".... The remaining 3 were captured in the wild.

I've decided it's relative to where you are in the country. Illinois, where i am, was still being settled through the first half of the 1800's so it's only reasonable there wouldn't be many antiques from that era. Visiting family in Pennsylvania is a whole different game. Way better pickings at the shops. Those folks have been there before 1700.

I had a snipe set on that one, but on closer inspection I was worried you'd have to take off a lot of steel to get an edge so I pulled it. There is a particular worry spot near the shoulder that made me just not able to bid on it.

Edit:
This is the picture that had me worried
I've got a Wade & Butcher blade that I got the scales off of for my Gold Bug. It has the same kind of shoulderless grind on it, and takes out almost the beginning of the word. If you want I'll take a pic and post it.

I Barber Old English Inbound - Really looking forward to this one:

proxy.php

Picked up this Greaves & Sons pre-Sheaf works awhile back too that I'm debating what to do with it.

proxy.php

I Barber Old English Inbound - Really looking forward to this one:

proxy.php

Picked up this Greaves & Sons pre-Sheaf works awhile back too that I'm debating what to do with it.

proxy.php

The file work on the tang of the Barber is great. The Greaves looks like a good clean and polish would get it going. The scales appear to be in good shape.

The file work on the tang of the Barber is great. The Greaves looks like a good clean and polish would get it going. The scales appear to be in good shape.

I love the file work on the Barber. Scales are in fine shape on the Greaves and I'll likely unpin it - clean up the blade and sand the scales to a high finish.

Will wait and see what the Barber scales are like when it arrives, but I'll likely be keeping them original as well.

I had a snipe set on that one, but on closer inspection I was worried you'd have to take off a lot of steel to get an edge so I pulled it. There is a particular worry spot near the shoulder that made me just not able to bid on it.

Edit:
This is the picture that had me worried

Harvitz81, I took a picture of my Wade & Butcher blade and it has some of that same cut-out at the rear or tang area. I attached pictures showing it. It's not a pretty blade, but interestingly, it has file jimps on both top and bottom and quite a few on the bottom. Notice the arrow I put in there? That is where the bottom jimps start, and I would believe that the jimps were put on after the contour cut at the place of manufacture and not later on by someone else. It has a funny flat spot on the spine, and I thought it odd in the curvature of the cutting edge, but after seeing some of these others, that may not have been too far off of the norm.

proxy.php

proxy.php

My ancestors came to this country and are in the country around Denzer, WI about 1830, Both my Great Great Grandfather Jacob Jennewein and his Uncle Joseph Frederich Jennewein were in about the same place, as in neighbors. It is possible, then, that they may have shaved with straight razors in that period?

Top Bottom