What's new

Who owns an Edwin Jagger 3ONE6?

Who owns one, and how do you like it? For a little background, I've been shaving with a Merkur Futur for the last 15 years, and with a Progress for about a dozen years before that. To say that I am a Merkur fan is an understatement. I actually just ordered another Futur as my current one has seen better days, and I typically like to stick with what I know works. Yes, I'm one of those people that's resistant to change.

Well, I thought it is high time I be a little more adventurous. So, I've started looking at other razors. Stainless razors in particular, and Edwin Jaeger specifically. The 3ONE6 has really caught my eye. It's stainless steel, but has some old-school cool, particularly the all stainless model. And it's English, and I am a bit of an Anglophile.

Enough of my ranting. Who has one of these beauties? Do you enjoy the shave you get out of it? Positives, negatives? Regrets buying it?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I do. Yes. Both. No.

Quite some details.

In general, I am more into Game Changers and Lupos and their Chinese clones for a roughly similar price. Both a very middle of the road, between R89 and R41.

The special feature of the Rocca is the gunk funnel that clears sideways.

I have a 3one6 and it’s in my top 3-4 razors. I used both the 3one6 and GameChanger .84p back to back a couple years ago and chose the GameChanger for my daily shaver.

It’s been awhile since I’ve used the 3one6 since I’ve been testing out new gear but I remember it being very efficient and smooth but had a little more chance of biting then the GameChanger if you mess up your technique. Since that was early in my shaving adventures I plan to do a lot more shaving with my 3one6 in the near future and imagine it’ll be on a weekly rotation with a few others I chose.

I just recently got a Rocca. Only one shave so far but it was also great and up there with the 3one6, and GC. I’d have to do more shaves before telling you which I preferred. Also in that top 4 list is my recently acquired Chinese AX-SE from DSCosmetics which is a Wolfman clone with 3 baseplates for around $20 in zamak. It’s worth a shot for $20. I plan to buy the stainless head for around $45 once they’re available again.

Edited to add - I don’t have a Merkur adjustable to compare it with. Just the 23c/34 Merkur head which I never used much since I preferred the R89 early on.

I have a 3one6 and love it. Perfect level of aggression and blade feel for my taste. No regrets at all, especially as I purchased mine second-hand. If you are a Futur and Progress fan, the 3one6 will not be too aggressive for you. I think it is smoother that the Futur, and more akin to the Progress.

I think you will feel right at home with the 3One6 considering you are a long term user of the Futur and Progress which have a good amount of blade gap available.

I've had my 3One6 pretty much since it launched and it is one of the few I will never part with. It is both beautifully made and beautiful to look at (in my opinion it's the most handsome contemporary razor out there).

In use it is very smooth and very efficient but it doesn't feel aggressive.

I think you will feel right at home with the 3One6 considering you are a long term user of the Futur and Progress which have a good amount of blade gap available.

I've had my 3One6 pretty much since it launched and it is one of the few I will never part with. It is both beautifully made and beautiful to look at (in my opinion it's the most handsome contemporary razor out there).

In use it is very smooth and very efficient but it doesn't feel aggressive.

It is beautiful. It oozes class. I typically shave every day. The most I go without shaving is 3 days. From what I'm reading, it should be plenty agressive enough to handle a few days worth of stuble. Of course, performance will be largely dependent on blade as well. My blades of choice are Bic CP's and Personna Comfort Coated. Hopefully it likes those.

Well wonder what is milder 3One6, or Rocca?
I just had my 2nd shave with my Rocca tonight using a new GSB and I believe it has slightly more blade feel then the 3one6. But I haven’t shaved with the 3one6 in awhile so I’m going off memory.

The both are very efficient razors. I had a really nice close shave tonight. The Rocca is more efficient then my beloved GameChanger .84p. I’ll try the 3one6 out again in the near future.

It is beautiful. It oozes class. I typically shave every day. The most I go without shaving is 3 days. From what I'm reading, it should be plenty agressive enough to handle a few days worth of stuble. Of course, performance will be largely dependent on blade as well. My blades of choice are Bic CP's and Personna Comfort Coated. Hopefully it likes those.
It’s been my experience that most of the time if you like a blade in one razor it usually works well in other razors too. I have had a couple exceptions to that but it’s quite rare.

The Bics and Feathers are at the bottom of my list of acceptable blades to use since they feel a bit rough but the Bics I have are easily the sharpest blades I’ve tried. The Personnas would be my pick of those two options. My go to blades are usually Rubie or GSB, and sometimes Nacets. But I use a wide range of blades and love testing new ones out. I’ve probably tried about 50 at this point.

Yep, multiple days of growth is no problem and it works best with a sharper blade like the BIC or a Feather, Nacet etc.

I just had my 2nd shave with my Rocca tonight using a new GSB and I believe it has slightly more blade feel then the 3one6. But I haven’t shaved with the 3one6 in awhile so I’m going off memory.

The both are very efficient razors. I had a really nice close shave tonight. The Rocca is more efficient then my beloved GameChanger .84p. I’ll try the 3one6 out again in the near future.

Read you post above, you use word efficient, to me that does not mean mild. It mean aggressive, or did I interpret your words wrong?

My interpretation of "efficient" means that you need less "blade to face" time to achieve a high-quality shave result. This might be a "mild" razor if the head geometry works very well for your face and technique. An example of this for me is the Yates Winning: I would say it's a mild razor (small blade gap and neutral blade exposure), but for me it's still pretty efficient.

Last edited:
My interpretation of "efficient" means that you need less "blade to face" time to achieve a high-quality shave result. This might be a "mild" razor if the head geometry works very well for your face and technique. An example of this for me is the Yates Winning: I would say it's a mild razor (small blade gap and neutral blade exposure), but for me it's still pretty efficient.

Thank for input, Mild is my go to today. Beard is thin, and not thick.

I get close shave with Mild Razors, because of thinning Beard.

Shaved with it this morning. It's a medium to high efficiency razor. Think along the lines of a GameChanger .84P, Muhle Rocca, Lupo 72. Not sure how it compares to the progress or the futur since I've never tried them. It is significantly more efficient and has more blade feel than the very popular mild razors like the EJ DE89, Muhle R89 or Merkur 34c but still much less blade feel than an R41.

Read you post above, you use word efficient, to me that does not mean mild. It mean aggressive, or did I interpret your words wrong?
As Stew said, for efficient I mean it leaves less stubble and cuts a little closer.

Going off memory I’d say the Rocca has the most blade feel between it and 3one6, and GC .84p. I don’t remember much blade feel on the 3one6, and the GC .84p doesn’t have much blade feel either for a medium aggressive razor. You definitely feel it though.

I’ll try to shave with the 3one6 here in a few days and report back.

As Stew said, for efficient I mean it leaves less stubble and cuts a little closer.

Going off memory I’d say the Rocca has the most blade feel between it and 3one6, and GC .84p. I don’t remember much blade feel on the 3one6, and the GC .84p doesn’t have much blade feel either for a medium aggressive razor. You definitely feel it though.

I’ll try to shave with the 3one6 here in a few days and report back.

I can't speak to the Rocca but I would agree on the 3one6 vs GC .84P. I think they are close in efficiency but the GC .84P is a little bit smoother (slightly less blade feel), not to say that the 3one6 has a lot, they are both quite comfortable.

Shaved with it this morning. It's a medium to high efficiency razor. Think along the lines of a GameChanger .84P, Muhle Rocca, Lupo 72. Not sure how it compares to the progress or the futur since I've never tried them. It is significantly more efficient and has more blade feel than the very popular mild razors like the EJ DE89, Muhle R89 or Merkur 34c but still much less blade feel than an R41.

Having shaved with a progressive razor the last 30 years has spoiled me a bit. One reason I went with adjustables is because I have that course, southern European facial hair. It's nice being able to dial up the aggression when you need to. I'm typically a 2 or 3 on the Futur depending on the blade. I only use the highest settings for those times when I've had a full blown beard and wanted to remove it. The Futur is between 1.19-1.35 on settings 2-3. If I can find something close to that, I think I will be good.

I have a 3one6 and love it. Perfect level of aggression and blade feel for my taste. No regrets at all, especially as I purchased mine second-hand. If you are a Futur and Progress fan, the 3one6 will not be too aggressive for you. I think it is smoother that the Futur, and more akin to the Progress.
I bought mine second hand on the BST forum here and am very happy with the purchase..It's the perfect level of aggression to take out a few days growth,, and you can use it to shave every day as welll without a problem. It's really a great sequel to the great R89, DE 89. I would suggest getting a stainless razorock handle if it's going to be an heirloom razor.

Reactions: ewk
Top Bottom