What's new

Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk Soaps

And please, some of you who have purchased this soap, we would like to get your initial thoughts on it. Particularly the donkey milk version.

Damn I meant to pick up one of these donkey milk WK soaps, love the tallow formula and curious to see how the 2 vary from one another. Have nothing but good things to say about the tallow formula so I find it hard to make it any better, but the donkey milk may add a bit to the post shave. Either way Wholly Kaw makes great products and am glad they are getting the recognition they deserve.

I hate to have to keep saying this disclaimer, but I am not affiliated with ANY artisan or soap maker in any way, and have bought all the Wholly Kaw products I have tried. Anytime I post an opinion of a product it is my honest opinion. Its sad that this needs to be said in this day and age.

And please, some of you who have purchased this soap, we would like to get your initial thoughts on it. Particularly the donkey milk version.

Damn I meant to pick up one of these donkey milk WK soaps, love the tallow formula and curious to see how the 2 vary from one another. Have nothing but good things to say about the tallow formula so I find it hard to make it any better, but the donkey milk may add a bit to the post shave. Either way Wholly Kaw makes great products and am glad they are getting the recognition they deserve.

I hate to have to keep saying this disclaimer, but I am not affiliated with ANY artisan or soap maker in any way, and have bought all the Wholly Kaw products I have tried. Anytime I post an opinion of a product it is my honest opinion. Its sad that this needs to be said in this day and age.

Early evening shave here on the east coast, I've posted here before and in refrence to the Fougere Bouquet SE (donkey milk), I can't put this stuff down. I run through 20 ish soaps and creams because I enjoy scent variety, but I literally can't stop using this stuff. I will address another topic posted by the OP I think. After more shaves with the donkey milk I will say, head to head with the normal tallow version, the donkey milk versions are thirsty soaps, they lather like there's no tomorrow, a little slicker then standard, lather quality is a little better, residual slickness is still great, what I noticed most is the post shave is off the charts without question. All the upticks in performance is not saying the standard tallow is poor by any stretch of the imagination. Bottom line, if there was no donkey milk version would I buy the scents I like based on performance - yes. Is the donkey milk versions better - yes. Are they worth the couple extra bucks - yes.

Now I think it was the OP who mentioned Wholly Kaw's balms, asking for thoughts, I did order a balm since I'm a balm guy due to sensitivities with alcohol based splashes. The balm is the consistency of Sudsy Soapery's balms if anybody is familiar, it's not smoothe like a typical lotion or Stirling's balms, I don't want to say it's chunky but it's not smoothe.
I find it to be slightly greasy, in that, it takes a long time to absorb in my opinion. Any balm or lotion is greasy by nature, it just seems like it takes a long time to absorb like I mentioned. It does make your skin feel incredible though.

A note about the lather, I am a head shaver, I did my standard 20-25 second load time of this soap and I had enough lather for my 2 face passes (and a few touchups) and enough for my 2 head passes. 4 passes no big deal right? There's a lot more surface area to cover on your melon then your face and I always have to re load my brush with other soaps for my head shave.

Finally, what am I comparing this soap to? Here's what's in my arsenal: Stirling, Sudsy Soapery, I Coloniali pucks, Penhaligon's creams, WM Neumann creams, Haslinger, Valobra made pucks (C&S, AoS tallows, Valobra), Stone Cottage creams, PdP, Castle Forbes, Musgo Real cream, Chiseled Face. There's some really great (performing) soaps in that list and like I said I can't stop using it. I'm using a ATT S2 slant with Gillette Platinum blades, Stirling 24mm Finest Badger fan knot, bowl lathering. Razor, blades, brush never change. Hope this was thorough for everybody!

Destroyer77, thank you. Very informative. Just the sort of I formation I needed to push me into another soap purchase. I really do want to support this vendor since he is semi-local to me.

I agree with Destroyer, WK is very, very, very good soap - at least tallow with donkey milk version, i don't have any veggie.
I have the Monaco Royale and Bouquet Fougere, both excellent soap. Scent is hard to describe but pleasant and performance is stellar!
I found them on Amazon, best price including shipping.

so, the scents are simple blends. natural cologne blends genre. pleasant overall. I like almost all of the scents, except Cuero Oscuro, which was so bad I threw it away immediately. good shave too - right up there. think I will order a full tub, which is saying a lot for the amount in my closet.

Thumbs up.

Well, you lot did it to me. Chypre Rose Concerto is to arrive today. Donkey milk version of course. I have needed a good floral scented soap for some time and used that as an excuse to round out the toilet locker.

Well, you lot did it to me. Chypre Rose Concerto is to arrive today. Donkey milk version of course. I have needed a good floral scented soap for some time and used that as an excuse to round out the toilet locker.

The Chypre Rose Concerto isn't available in donkey milk as far as I know. The 3 donkey releases that I'm aware of were the sold out Fougere Bouquet Special Edition, Monaco Royale still available and the Man From Mayfair still available. It's still a fantastic soap regardless and you picked a fine scent imo. The Jamestown Gentleman is floral ish with a tobacco twist.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So what's up with WK anyway? I ***umed, given their name, that donkey milk is their thing. But out of all their soaps only a couple special editions actually use donkey milk?

proxy.php

[QUOTmy mistake
"DEdestroyer77, post: 9007234, member: 114889"]The Chypre Rose Concerto isn't available in donkey milk as far as I know. The 3 donkey releases that I'm aware of were the sold out Fougere Bouquet Special Edition, Monaco Royale still available and the Man From Mayfair still available. It's still a fantastic soap regardless and you picked a fine scent imo. The Jamestown Gentleman is floral ish with a tobacco twist.[/QUOTE]

Ah, my mistake. I thought all the tallow versions had added it. Best I pay better attention. I mostly bought it for the scent anyway.

Edit; I remember now. CRC is a limited spring/summer sent and I did not want to miss it

Last edited:
So what's up with WK anyway? I ***umed, given their name, that donkey milk is their thing. But out of all their soaps only a couple special editions actually use donkey milk?

How does a name WhollyKow imply usage of donkey milk? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I believe the Fougere Bouquet SE was the 1st one, and they are releasing upcoming scents in donkey milk. I posted earlier I believe there are 3, Fougere Bouquet SE (sold out), Monaco Royale is still available, and the newest Man From Mayfair are the donkey milk soaps available.

Soap arrived today. Great scent. Like the large diameter jar. Soap is very soft. Very much a croap. Is this typical? No worries about it. The morning shave should be interesting.

Borrowing this from another site where the owner explained:
Story behind our name -- when I started making soaps and shaving soaps in particular I used to send out samples to people who were shaving the traditional way. The products that they used were Williams mug soap, some shave sticks from Europe and creams. The testers were older and discovered the joys of wet shaving long before I was introduced to wet shaving.

A few of those testers kept saying "holy cow", "holy s**t", "this s**t is good" etc. as part of their initial feedback. Now I am not that creative when it comes to domain names. I picked holy cow as the name and of course any combination of the words holy cow were all taken. A friend suggested a creative spelling of holy cow and that how the name WhollyKaw was born.

I'm still waiting to see is he converts more of the line to using the donkey milk or if this is a limited run thing.

Top Bottom