What's new

Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk Soaps

Surprised I haven't seen many (or any) recent threads about Wholly Kaw. Seems to be one of those dark horse artisans. Anyway he recently released a couple new tallow soaps that include donkey milk - Monaco Royale and Fougere Bouquet LE. He also offers vegan alternatives that don't have donkey milk, but instead "non-GMO Soybean Glycerides and Shea Butter Unsaponifiables" to mimic the enhanced post shave feel.

Looks like he has a pre-order for a barbershop scent now - Man from Mayfair and it sounds like a winner to me. I have a tub of Monaco Royale and have got to say that it's probably the best base I've used so far. Great slickness and post shave feel. May or may not be worth it at the price point (~$24), but it's worth trying if you think MR or the next scent appeals to you.

His balms in those scents also seem to include donkey milk. Quite interested in that. Anyone have any experience with it? May have to order one with my Man of Mayfair soap later.

Ingredients list for the tallow donkey milk soap: Vegetable Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Donkey Milk, Distilled Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Kokum Butter, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Lanolin, Essential Oils, Fragrance Oils

I'm going to order it soon. Little pricey for me but i like to try all of the artisian
soaps that get good comments on this forum. Also going to order an L&L soap too.
With shipping and an aftershave or something, there goes 50-80 bucks easy.

I'm going to order it soon. Little pricey for me but i like to try all of the artisian
soaps that get good comments on this forum. Also going to order an L&L soap too.
With shipping and an aftershave or something, there goes 50-80 bucks easy.
I think Maggards and I know Groomatorium may be getting them as well. Not sure which post shave products, though. If you're gonna spend 50-80, at least you can do it with free shipping! I agree that it's very pricey, but the performance is outstanding, and the soap itself seems to be pretty hard, so I can see it lasting a little longer than the L&L at least.

I was on a trying spree early this year and out of 12 soaps, only this hit my benchmark on what I call a quality soap.

With that I went on another spree to get 4 more soaps from Wholly Kaw and expected myself to get a few more from him.

So far all the scent that I have experienced have been pleasant beside Lav Sublime Concerto though that scent have been getting great remark, just not for me. I'll describe as spicy lime but I always butchered scent profile.

Performance wise it have shot up to my top 5 or even 3. Easy to load, tons of slickness and cushion.

I bought the donkey milk Monaco royal and haven't have the chance to use it yet but if it's anything like the original base, you are in for a treat.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I was on a trying spree early this year and out of 12 soaps, only this hit my benchmark on what I call a quality soap.

With that I went on another spree to get 4 more soaps from Wholly Kaw and expected myself to get a few more from him.

So far all the scent that I have experienced have been pleasant beside Lav Sublime Concerto though that scent have been getting great remark, just not for me. I'll describe as spicy lime but I always butchered scent profile.

Performance wise it have shot up to my top 5 or even 3. Easy to load, tons of slickness and cushion.

I bought the donkey milk Monaco royal and haven't have the chance to use it yet but if it's anything like the original base, you are in for a treat.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

It's even better than the regular tallow base.

Damn it! I was supposed to take a pause in purchases for a couple of months! Thanks a lot, guys......

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Damn it! I was supposed to take a pause in purchases for a couple of months! Thanks a lot, guys......

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too. Let me know how that works out for you.:001_smile

I emailed the proprietor about these soaps(not the donk, it wasn't out yet) a few months ago. Seemed like a great guy to do business with and he is in my state. I am hoping this is great stuff because I want to support him if I can. With my just-today purchase of Asylum Shave Works Royal Fougere shave soap and a/s splash I will have to wait til next month. But it is going to happen.

Yeah, me too. Let me know how that works out for you.:001_smile

I emailed the proprietor about these soaps(not the donk, it wasn't out yet) a few months ago. Seemed like a great guy to do business with and he is in my state. I am hoping this is great stuff because I want to support him if I can. With my just-today purchase of Asylum Shave Works Royal Fougere shave soap and a/s splash I will have to wait til next month. But it is going to happen.

Yeah he seems like a really great guy and is quick to respond. It's a shame he's really underspoken and doesn't market himself much. Definitely an underrated artisan.

I've already ordered 3 tallow soaps and I'm looking forward to my shave very soon when they shipped on the 12th May.
1 x Wholly Kaw - Fougère Bouquet Special Edition (with donkey milk) I got the last tub hooray.
1 x Wholly Kaw - Man from Mayfair (with donkey milk) this soap is new version
1 x Wholly Kaw - Monaco Royale (with donkey milk)

The Fougere Bouquet, Washington's blend, Jamestown Gentleman and Dark Vetiver are incredible scents and performance is outstanding. I haven't sniffed the Monaco Royale but it is on the way in donkey milk version, as is the Fougere Bouquet. I don't own the Dark Vetiver yet but I will soon enough, the sample was really really good. Next to Stirling, Wholly Kaw is a artisan I own the most scents of and again, performance is top notch. If the donkey milk versions are better then standard versions it will be shaving nirvana.

The Fougere Bouquet, Washington's blend, Jamestown Gentleman and Dark Vetiver are incredible scents and performance is outstanding. I haven't sniffed the Monaco Royale but it is on the way in donkey milk version, as is the Fougere Bouquet. I don't own the Dark Vetiver yet but I will soon enough, the sample was really really good. Next to Stirling, Wholly Kaw is a artisan I own the most scents of and again, performance is top notch. If the donkey milk versions are better then standard versions it will be shaving nirvana.
I'm a fan of Chypre Rose Concerto myself. I didn't grab Fougere Bouquet LE and kind of regret it. Trust me that the donkey milk base is even better. Easily my #1 base right now, and I'm a L&L Grooming fanboy.

What are the scents exactly? I find this very frustrating.

Some are difficult to explain, Fougere Bouquet I cant explain, it's a medly of everything good. I would probably describe it as earthy or grassy. Dark Vetiver, to my nose, smells really similar to Guerlain Vetiver EdT. Washington's Blend I would describe as floral but a good floral. Jamestown Gentleman theres a distinct but not overpowering tobacco, it's really well done. My Monaco Royale came today and I cant describe any one thing but I really like it. I bought the sampler to sniff the scents before I purchased full tubs

I have the two donkey milk soaps en route and they'll be here tomorrow. It'll be my first go with this brand. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Donkey Milk base so i pulled the trigger on them. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my other faves like L&L and SMN.

I just shaved with the Monaco Royale, good performance, bad scent. Nice and slick but the scent
was very disappointing especially at the pricepoint. It smells like a generic laundry soap. I also didn't
really get a great lather but I'll chalk that up to user error. I load directly out of the container and then
lather on my face, I generated enough lather but I guess i was expecting more. I did rush so next time
I'll use a different brush and take more time. Really disappointed in that scent though.

I just used the Fougere Bouquet Special Edition tonight for the first time.....and I must say it was AWESOME! It's my first Fougere Bouquet scent ever and I loved it. I'm no expert like some of the others on here, but I must say it lathered well and smelled great. It was a nice slick shave, and I followed up with the matching aftershave balm. Overall, it was one of my favorite shaves so far.

I have about a half dozen shaves under my belt with the donkey milk soaps from Wholly Kaw and feel safe giving a fair opinion. The standard tallow versions are very good soaps, some of my favorites and consistent performers. The donkey milk versions just take it to another level.

In addition to the performance, the Fougere Bouquet I find myself opening up literally several times a day just to sniff, it's amazing. And refrencing the earlier post to the Chypre Rose Concerto, I bought a sample, wow, just found a partner for my Lumiere Noire Homme. It's not an overly sweet rose, it's well done.

I just shaved with the Monaco Royale, good performance, bad scent. Nice and slick but the scent
was very disappointing especially at the pricepoint. It smells like a generic laundry soap. I also didn't
really get a great lather but I'll chalk that up to user error. I load directly out of the container and then
lather on my face, I generated enough lather but I guess i was expecting more. I did rush so next time
I'll use a different brush and take more time. Really disappointed in that scent though.
Sorry your experience wasn't that great! Hopefully next time you'll have more time to lather it up. I agree with you on the scent. MR isn't my favorite, but I guess it's very clean, safe, and unobtrusive.. It's also light enough to just use with whatever aftershave I want. That said, I would much rather have had Fougere Bouquet.

Top Bottom