What's new

who won the $6100 razor

Im all in for spending money on something you want especially something unique but I will say Im stunned 6 grand? :blink:

Last edited:
It weren't me, but I do like the simplicity of the set. From the little bit of digging I've done it seems like it might possibly be a Gorham set, but I wouldn't want to be quoted on that. I've found some other gold items elsewhere with basically the same markings, including the overlapped lion and anchor, that were labeled as Gorham pieces.

View attachment 548677

Also, here's a few more of the photos for posterity.

View attachment 548674

View attachment 548675

View attachment 548676

Your knowledge amazes me sir :ouch1:

sure but will hit new records cause of the never ending money printing and the war of currencies... the QE program has no effects at all and is just a stupid approach to save the US or EU. probably the buyer will laugh about the price in about 5 or 10 years. imho, this was a better deal than a 5k deal for 5 position toggle set.

sure but will hit new records cause of the never ending money printing and the war of currencies... the QE program has no effects at all and is just a stupid approach to save the US or EU. probably the buyer will laugh about the price in about 5 or 10 years. imho, this was a better deal than a 5k deal for 5 position toggle set.

I agree the price will look much better 10 years hence. (Sounds like the Chilean currency has been taking a hit recently versus the dollar. Correct me if I am wrong. But it will get much worse if if interest rates start to rise in the US. Buyers will then flood to the dollar.)

After looking at some jewelry my wife has it occurred to me those numbers and letter may represent part numbers (catalog number) and an issue year. It seems unlikely that the weight would be stamped on the part in that fashion. If it was mine I'd get it assayed and appraised. To me, it's a used old razor and a very inefficient way to collect gold as well, not something I'd invest in at a third that price.

i think besides the gold value there is also a high collectible value cause of rarity and 100years+ age. someone ever saw another 14k gorham set? what was the original price? $200!? who the heck is the buyer!?

After looking at some jewelry my wife has it occurred to me those numbers and letter may represent part numbers (catalog number) and an issue year. It seems unlikely that the weight would be stamped on the part in that fashion.

Yeah, those aren't gram weights. If I'm understanding Gorham's scheme correctly the number is their production code for the item and the "X" prefix was used for their gold items. I believe the "G" at the end is just Gorham's initial. The page on match safes that chilian linked to above is one of the pages I'd found, and here's another reference that's more of an overview. From about halfway into that page:

One category which Mr. Carpenter did not treat is gold, to which Gorham assigned the prefix 'X.' The letter 'X' followed by a number indicates that the piece was a Company production item and, yes, between the years 1895 and 1915 they made quite a bit of production gold. 'X' followed by letters indicates a special order, and if the number of records is any indication most gold wares were made in response to special orders.

The fact that these pieces had production numbers would seem to indicate that this was a standard piece for them, rather than a custom order. That would also make some sense with the pieces having empty spaces to be monogrammed, which would seem weird for a custom piece.

Top Bottom