Attachments

• $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 972
  • $a.jpg
    $a.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:
Aside from the engraved cap, this set looks awfully boring and plain.

The Cavalier and DeLuxe sets from Gillette look better.

For that? Hmm, nice and all...but...I dont know, I dont get it. Well I guess if I had more money than I knew what to do with then I would probably pop on it too, I guess the bragging rights on having it in a collection would make one feel pretty proud. Congrats to the buyer. I think Ill go shave with my Fat Boy now..

One guy said "I'm going to win" this and bid $6000 when it was at $1500 and another guy "I'm going to win this" and bid $10000 when it was at $1500. Never bid more than you are willing to pay. Neither guy probably thought he was going to pay more than like $2000 for the thing. Look at the bidding history. Congrats to the buyer. I think I'll go shave with my Fatboy now... Lol!

It weren't me, but I do like the simplicity of the set. From the little bit of digging I've done it seems like it might possibly be a Gorham set, but I wouldn't want to be quoted on that. I've found some other gold items elsewhere with basically the same markings, including the overlapped lion and anchor, that were labeled as Gorham pieces.

$$_57.JPG

Also, here's a few more of the photos for posterity.

$$_57-1.jpg

$$_57-3.jpg

$$_57-2.jpg

One guy said "I'm going to win" this and bid $6000 when it was at $1500 and another guy "I'm going to win this" and bid $10000 when it was at $1500. Never bid more than you are willing to pay. Neither guy probably thought he was going to pay more than like $2000 for the thing. Look at the bidding history. Congrats to the buyer. I think I'll go shave with my Fatboy now... Lol!
I think you're right Glenn. Probably that's what happened.

I bet that's the case.

That would need to weigh 8,5 Troy ounces to break even for melt value. You could subtract for whatever the antiquity is worth. Did one of those canisters have 450g stamped on it? That's basically 12 Troy ounces x $1228/ozT....

Someone could be laughing all the way to the bank right now if those weights are accurate.

14k is around $720 per ozT.

Can someone with a real monitor check out those weights? One of them via my phone looks like 1128 g, which is over a kg and definitely not possible. Is it 11.28 g?

this set is a gorham solid 14k gold set apart from the head of the razor. $1500 would be a steal of a deal cause even the gold is more worth. here you can see other solid gold gorham pieces with same hallmarks. lion with an anchor and the simple G is indicating gorham for solid gold pieces. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorham-Perf...ttles-American-14K-Gold-Crystal-/131376634787 or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exquisite...tal-glass-insert-Gorham-Co-x873-/131264958182 or http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/146113-gorham-14k-gold-monogrammed-vesta-o because of the high density of gold the total net weight should be up to 6ounces for all gold pieces which would be approx $4250. in result, the net value payed by the buyer is just $1800. imho 1800 is just a real steal for a super scarce and rare set. never saw a solid gold set so far. gorham itself is rare. i bet if this set is reoffered with not a "misleading" title, the set might fetch a higher price. in addition, all the other high valued razors e.g toggles, anglo american aristocrat or techmatic DE just valued by sentimental and collectible reason. such a gold set have a substantial value. e.g with the same amount of gold you was able to buy a car in 1900 and nowadays... congrats to the buyer

Last edited:
"Solid gold" usually means 24k gold, while this set is marked 14k. I don't know if this changes your computations.

Lots of women's luxury products were made in gold; it's nice to see something for the guy who likes that golden gleam. But as several have mentioned, I'm good wit my Fatboy.

Solid means it's not plated or filled. You can still have a gold alloy be solid gold.

Google "solid gold 14k", that term is used everywhere.

Aside from the collector's value, it is a quite boring looking set. But, it might look better after a good polishing. I know, polishing would detract from its value, but look at it, it needs something.

Top Bottom