What's new

Who Here Shaves Off Diamond Paste?

I am rediscovering diamond paste. It appears I was using too much paste previously, and now I am getting the full benefit. I normally do 100 laps to prepare and 60 before a previous razor use.

After using the M. Jung all last week with a 200k edge, I opted for the 6/8 Geneva to lap last night for todays shave. Amazing results on both.

While I know @steveclarkus and I use diamond, I am curious if others opt for this medium.

I have been reading Slash McCoy's thread on on a pasted balsa strop and finally got my three strops done. I haven't used it yet but......soon!

Mike

A lot of youtube shaving folks (& others) use large amounts of paste, better suited to carpenters or knife field sharpening. When adding any pastes to balsa, leather, nylon, cardboard etc I like to start with -
how it's often done and how i do it crox and irox.png

You can always add more.

A lot of youtube shaving folks (& others) use large amounts of paste, better suited to carpenters or knife field sharpening. When adding any pastes to balsa, leather, nylon, cardboard etc I like to start with -
View attachment 1000561
You can always add more.
Well posted, my friend. As one new SR honer said, using diamond pasted balsa is a act of faith.....LOL! I mean, and I think his point was, it doesn't look like it should work.

I've been using diamond pasted balsa for the last year or so. 0.5, 0.25, and 0.1 micron progression after honing to 12k, and 0.1 micron after every shave for maintenance. Love the super sharp edges I get.

And yes, if you think you have applied enough paste, you've probably applied too much.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just .25 diamond, sir. @steveclarkus got me started on films and diamond. He uses a diamond progression, but I use .5 and .3mu films followed by diamond paste.
I have been using CBN. Thinking about using diamond paste to see if it works better. Have you tried both?
I’ve used both. Used CBN long enough to compare. I couldn’t tell a bit of difference so you can keep using the CBN. It was .125 grit. I do prefer diamond just because it is easy to control the application. Should get the same results though.

I've been using diamond pasted balsa for the last year or so. 0.5, 0.25, and 0.1 micron progression after honing to 12k, and 0.1 micron after every shave for maintenance. Love the super sharp edges I get.

And yes, if you think you have applied enough paste, you've probably applied too much.

Well said!!!:a14:

I’ve used both. Used CBN long enough to compare. I couldn’t tell a bit of difference so you can keep using the CBN. It was .125 grit. I do prefer diamond just because it is easy to control the application. Should get the same results though.
Only real problem I see with CBN is the cost. Diamond may be more expensive in the same amount, don't really know, but you can buy small amounts for a lot less than a 2 oz. spray bottle of CBN.

I struggled to find .1 micron diamond paste in the UK, until recently. Its now for sale on ebay. I have heard some say that a .25 edge is harsh, and .1 is smoother and I didn't believe it. Surely sharper will be harsher.
Tried it anyway and whoever said it was right! .1 on balsa is sharper, more comfortable, smoother, less irritation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Looks like a decent price and very easy if there's a store in town.

Am I remembering this right?
  • You don't apply a backing to this piece of balsa? (I know many would use a backing, so I'm only asking about how you do it.)
Do you lap the piece of balsa wood before applying the diamond? If so, how? If not, why not?

Thanks for both the low cost options.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Looks like a decent price and very easy if there's a store in town.

Am I remembering this right?
  • You don't apply a backing to this piece of balsa? (I know many would use a backing, so I'm only asking about how you do it.)
Do you lap the piece of balsa wood before applying the diamond? If so, how? If not, why not?

Thanks for both the low cost options.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I prefer not to use backing, Jim. The balsa I got from HL is approximately 1" thick. When I first started last year I did use a backing, but never liked the added weight. To each there own I suspect. I do follow the recommendation of holding the balsa at a 45 degree angle so as to mostly eliminate any pressure.

I do lap prior to applying the diamond. As you can imagine, balsa laps quickly. I used a very very light touch when making x's so as not to deform the wood.

Yeah, it's an affordable way to take the edge up a bit and get some great shaves. Like I said, my recent SR shaves remind me of a GEM Micromatic.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I prefer not to use backing, Jim. The balsa I got from HL is approximately 1" thick. When I first started last year I did use a backing, but never liked the added weight. To each there own I suspect. I do follow the recommendation of holding the balsa at a 45 degree angle so as to mostly eliminate any pressure.

I do lap prior to applying the diamond. As you can imagine, balsa laps quickly. I used a very very light touch when making x's so as not to deform the wood.

Yeah, it's an affordable way to take the edge up a bit and get some great shaves. Like I said, my recent SR shaves remind me of a GEM Micromatic.

Thanks.

Top Bottom