What's new

Who has gone from cartridge to DE, then back to cartridge?

Just as the title says. I don't see myself going back, as I love shaving with my DE razors. But I was thinking today and wondering if anyone switched back. Your thoughts?

I have not gone completely from cart to DE with my head shaving. It is taking much longer for me with that. But it is coming along nicely.

I'm on my third try with something other than cartridges. I never got the hang of it before. Plus there is this whole time thing and I'm not a morning person. I'd rather spend the extra 10 minutes in bed rather than shaving. It's going much better this round, but I'm still not consistently getting irritation free DFS like I do with my hydro's. So yea, I've switched back to cartridges twice now.

I tried going back to cartridge once...Once. Never again. Sure it's faster, but I like to fiddle with things. Wet shaving is perfect for me. Besides, cartridge razors tend to cut my neck to shreds due to the "beard crown" that I have on the right side of my throat. With a DE/SE I can go slow enough so that it doesn't become a tornado of weepers :lol: (that just sound ridiculous).

I personally oscillate between cartridge , DE and injector. I am an ardent wetshaver who believes that technique and preparation are integral to the shaving experience. With so much of variety in our shave dens the saying goes : variety is the spice of life...

I still use carts for small clean up work if I've missed something. They certainly have their place in the world of shaving, but I couldn't see myself going back to them full time.

I go from cart to DE and back to cart again in the same week sometimes. But give up on DE altogether? Nah, not happening. The DE is my only choice when I have time to spare and is way more relaxing. The Fusion comes out when I have under 2 minutes to get the shave done before heading out the door. I'm just no where near practiced enough to whip a DE razor across my face that quickly.

I'm doing an experiment right now where I shave half of my face with a Gillette Atra cartridge razor, and half of my face with a Schick Krona DE razor.

Fifth day now, and the only advantage of the DE razor is that you get to make more passes, so that you can enjoy more of the lather.

I went from using DEs with touchups from my Injectors to touchups from cartridges, then to cartridges during the week, and DE on Sunday, now I choose a classic razor for a majority of shaves, either an Injector or a DE, using cartridges for the touchups again.

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me it's mainly the DE, but I'll switch to carts if I'm in a hurry, using a mach 3 (actually my brother took it and didn't return it when he visited). Prep is they key, although I find it actually does too good of a job and it shaves under the skin? If that makes any sense and I get that grey under thing... I'm not sure if I described it correctly.

Like Deruitem, I use my Fusion when I travel - and very, very rarely if I am pressed for time. I can't remember the last time I used it at home. I could make a good case for using the Fusion: no irritation, cuts or weepers, but the process isn't satisfying the way using a safety razor is.

I never will use a cartridge again, mainly because it was a joyless task. With my DE it's almost therapeutic, mind and body.

Top Bottom