What's new

Whites boots

With winter fast approaching, I decided to buy a second pair of winter weight boots. I've had a pair of Redwing Beckmans for about 3 years now and am very happy with them. After adding 3 speedhooks to the lacing and getting a commando heel installed they are a great winter weight boot and well broken in. To add some variety I decided to try a pair of Whites. After looking around, Bakers Boots (Kyle is very helpful and knows Whites well) seemed like a good place to buy. Bakers offer many custom options including shell cordovan uppers. I went with a pair of the Bounty Hunter style with a block heel (just can't get the Cuban heel!), commando half sole and cap toe with no celastic (soft toe). These are a 6" boot with amazing arch support and a very heavy duty construction. The brown shell cordovan option takes slightly longer to have made up but make for a very nice looking and comfortable boot. The Beckmans took a good 100 miles to fully break in. I am guessing that these will take quite a bit to fully bed in - possibly not as much as the Redwings since the shell is a lot more flexible than the heavy, thick Featherstone leather. So far I only have a 3 or 4 miles on the Whites so they need to be worked a bit more to really see how they perform. On what I have seen already I give them a very high rating. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up after a couple of Chicago winters. The pics show a few images of the boots and a comparison shot with the Beckmans.

IMG_3040.JPGIMG_3072.JPGIMG_3073.JPGIMG_3075.JPGIMG_3076.JPGIMG_3077.JPG

With winter fast approaching, I decided to buy a second pair of winter weight boots. I've had a pair of Redwing Beckmans for about 3 years now and am very happy with them. After adding 3 speedhooks to the lacing and getting a commando heel installed they are a great winter weight boot and well broken in. To add some variety I decided to try a pair of Whites. After looking around, Bakers Boots (Kyle is very helpful and knows Whites well) seemed like a good place to buy. Bakers offer many custom options including shell cordovan uppers. I went with a pair of the Bounty Hunter style with a block heel (just can't get the Cuban heel!), commando half sole and cap toe with no celastic (soft toe). These are a 6" boot with amazing arch support and a very heavy duty construction. The brown shell cordovan option takes slightly longer to have made up but make for a very nice looking and comfortable boot. The Beckmans took a good 100 miles to fully break in. I am guessing that these will take quite a bit to fully bed in - possibly not as much as the Redwings since the shell is a lot more flexible than the heavy, thick Featherstone leather. So far I only have a 3 or 4 miles on the Whites so they need to be worked a bit more to really see how they perform. On what I have seen already I give them a very high rating. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up after a couple of Chicago winters. The pics show a few images of the boots and a comparison shot with the Beckmans.

View attachment 1029600View attachment 1029601View attachment 1029602View attachment 1029603View attachment 1029604View attachment 1029605
I've got "boot envy" lol. Very nice!

pbrmhl

Contributor
Well done, sir. I used to wear Red Wing Iron Rangers and RM Williams. Now I only wear White’s Semi Dress. I’ve got three pair of them, in brown dress, black dress and smooth distressed. Here’s my newest pair, smooth distressed:

DC2C4A0B-E9C2-4785-8C49-6C619522799D.jpeg

Local business plug — love it! ;)

Picked up a couple pair of White’s Boots a few years back and mostly wore in the brown pair. My more rugged soled black pair will see plenty of use this winter and finally get broken . ;)

Please excuse the remodeling job waiting impatiently below the nice boots. That will get done right after some fun sanding and re-finishing lots of oak flooring.

E0584BA9-81E8-4F25-8352-7CD2D9220ADD.jpegDDF0E5EB-FFC9-4FBD-910C-E7CD1353DC93.jpeg

Hmm, I might need to plan a road trip to Spokane to visit the various shoe/boot places there. It seems like White's, Frank's and Nick's are all there. Must be something in the water? :lol:

Nice Boots. Are you planning on wearing them in the sloppy wet conditions in Chicago and if so how will you treat the Cordovan? I'm in WI and looking for a winter boot. My SD's don't work well in the snow, wrong sole.

Nice avatar. I had a 68 750 that vibrated my fillings out. Massive amount of low end torque though :)

Shell cordovan is very water resistant so I don’t think that will be a problem. I usually wipe off the salt when I get back indoors. That will certainly damage the leather over time. I wear the Redwings when it’s really bad. Wellington’s if totally slushy or better yet stay home!

Thanks, the Norton is a ‘76 roadster. It ran well once I got it sorted. Long sold though.

The trouble with threads like this is they lead to rabbit holes.
I have not been on the Baker/Whites site in a couple of years. Lots of new offerings. I have a pair of Semi Dress in Dress Brown that are too wide and don't fit well and a pair of Hikers that fit just right but those are just a utility boot.
I like the OP Cordovan look for office and casual winter wear. I need something for the snow and slush here.

It came down to two choices, Sherman MP Commando Half sole in Brown Horse Hide or the Bounty Hunters in Black Cherry Water Buffalo. I ordered the Sherman MP's today.
Stay tuned... for photos.