What's new

Whites boots

With winter fast approaching, I decided to buy a second pair of winter weight boots. I've had a pair of Redwing Beckmans for about 3 years now and am very happy with them. After adding 3 speedhooks to the lacing and getting a commando heel installed they are a great winter weight boot and well broken in. To add some variety I decided to try a pair of Whites. After looking around, Bakers Boots (Kyle is very helpful and knows Whites well) seemed like a good place to buy. Bakers offer many custom options including shell cordovan uppers. I went with a pair of the Bounty Hunter style with a block heel (just can't get the Cuban heel!), commando half sole and cap toe with no celastic (soft toe). These are a 6" boot with amazing arch support and a very heavy duty construction. The brown shell cordovan option takes slightly longer to have made up but make for a very nice looking and comfortable boot. The Beckmans took a good 100 miles to fully break in. I am guessing that these will take quite a bit to fully bed in - possibly not as much as the Redwings since the shell is a lot more flexible than the heavy, thick Featherstone leather. So far I only have a 3 or 4 miles on the Whites so they need to be worked a bit more to really see how they perform. On what I have seen already I give them a very high rating. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up after a couple of Chicago winters. The pics show a few images of the boots and a comparison shot with the Beckmans.

IMG_3040.JPG
IMG_3072.JPG
IMG_3073.JPG
IMG_3075.JPG
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3077.JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With winter fast approaching, I decided to buy a second pair of winter weight boots. I've had a pair of Redwing Beckmans for about 3 years now and am very happy with them. After adding 3 speedhooks to the lacing and getting a commando heel installed they are a great winter weight boot and well broken in. To add some variety I decided to try a pair of Whites. After looking around, Bakers Boots (Kyle is very helpful and knows Whites well) seemed like a good place to buy. Bakers offer many custom options including shell cordovan uppers. I went with a pair of the Bounty Hunter style with a block heel (just can't get the Cuban heel!), commando half sole and cap toe with no celastic (soft toe). These are a 6" boot with amazing arch support and a very heavy duty construction. The brown shell cordovan option takes slightly longer to have made up but make for a very nice looking and comfortable boot. The Beckmans took a good 100 miles to fully break in. I am guessing that these will take quite a bit to fully bed in - possibly not as much as the Redwings since the shell is a lot more flexible than the heavy, thick Featherstone leather. So far I only have a 3 or 4 miles on the Whites so they need to be worked a bit more to really see how they perform. On what I have seen already I give them a very high rating. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up after a couple of Chicago winters. The pics show a few images of the boots and a comparison shot with the Beckmans.

View attachment 1029600View attachment 1029601View attachment 1029602View attachment 1029603View attachment 1029604View attachment 1029605
I've got "boot envy" lol. Very nice!

Well done, sir. I used to wear Red Wing Iron Rangers and RM Williams. Now I only wear White’s Semi Dress. I’ve got three pair of them, in brown dress, black dress and smooth distressed. Here’s my newest pair, smooth distressed:

DC2C4A0B-E9C2-4785-8C49-6C619522799D.jpeg

Local business plug — love it! ;)

Picked up a couple pair of White’s Boots a few years back and mostly wore in the brown pair. My more rugged soled black pair will see plenty of use this winter and finally get broken . ;)

Please excuse the remodeling job waiting impatiently below the nice boots. That will get done right after some fun sanding and re-finishing lots of oak flooring.

E0584BA9-81E8-4F25-8352-7CD2D9220ADD.jpeg
DDF0E5EB-FFC9-4FBD-910C-E7CD1353DC93.jpeg

Hmm, I might need to plan a road trip to Spokane to visit the various shoe/boot places there. It seems like White's, Frank's and Nick's are all there. Must be something in the water? :lol:

Nice Boots. Are you planning on wearing them in the sloppy wet conditions in Chicago and if so how will you treat the Cordovan? I'm in WI and looking for a winter boot. My SD's don't work well in the snow, wrong sole.

Nice avatar. I had a 68 750 that vibrated my fillings out. Massive amount of low end torque though :)

Shell cordovan is very water resistant so I don’t think that will be a problem. I usually wipe off the salt when I get back indoors. That will certainly damage the leather over time. I wear the Redwings when it’s really bad. Wellington’s if totally slushy or better yet stay home!

Thanks, the Norton is a ‘76 roadster. It ran well once I got it sorted. Long sold though.

The trouble with threads like this is they lead to rabbit holes.
I have not been on the Baker/Whites site in a couple of years. Lots of new offerings. I have a pair of Semi Dress in Dress Brown that are too wide and don't fit well and a pair of Hikers that fit just right but those are just a utility boot.
I like the OP Cordovan look for office and casual winter wear. I need something for the snow and slush here.

It came down to two choices, Sherman MP Commando Half sole in Brown Horse Hide or the Bounty Hunters in Black Cherry Water Buffalo. I ordered the Sherman MP's today.
Stay tuned... for photos.

Some stylin' boots you guys have. I don't have any dressy boots like those, although seeing them is making me think I might need a pair. I rely on three pairs of boots for the Northeast winters.

For just beating around where I'm not worried what happens to them I have a pair of Vasque (not sure of the model). They actually were originally bought for my son for hiking at summer camp and he outgrew them. But they fit me nicely.
IMG_0024.jpeg

My more "dressy" and far more capable hikers that I bought for myself for some backpacking are these Lowa Tibet LL boots that are the nicest backpacking boots I've owned. Prior to these were a pair of One Sport (now Montrail) Moraines that saw tons of miles in the Adirondacks and White Mountains when I was much younger. Then one day the sole on one shoe delaminated from the heel forward. I was thinking about having them resoled but my feet have flattened out over the years and they really aren't fitting like they used to. These Lowas fit like a glove.

IMG_0025.jpeg

And lastly, for that deeper snow and colder temps I have a pair of Sorel Avalanche boots. I love these things for what they do as well. Much higher than the others and Thinsulate lined. My feet are always toasty in these and remain super dry.
IMG_0026.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some stylin' boots you guys have. I don't have any dressy boots like those, although seeing them is making me think I might need a pair. I rely on three pairs of boots for the Northeast winters.

For just beating around where I'm not worried what happens to them I have a pair of Vasque (not sure of the model). They actually were originally bought for my son for hiking at summer camp and he outgrew them. But they fit me nicely.
View attachment 1041117

My more "dressy" and far more capable hikers that I bought for myself for some backpacking are these Lowa Tibet LL boots that are the nicest backpacking boots I've owned. Prior to these were a pair of One Sport (now Montrail) Moraines that saw tons of miles in the Adirondacks and White Mountains when I was much younger. Then one day the sole on one shoe delaminated from the heel forward. I was thinking about having them resoled but my feet have flattened out over the years and they really aren't fitting like they used to. These Lowas fit like a glove.

View attachment 1041119

And lastly, for that deeper snow and colder temps I have a pair of Sorel Avalanche boots. I love these things for what they do as well. Much higher than the others and Thinsulate lined. My feet are always toasty in these and remain super dry.
View attachment 1041120
A nice trifecta! Mine are now all pretty much girly dress boots. I've got a nice pair of Red Wing steel toe boots around here somewhere that felt like someone broke them in for me right out of the box. Those are probably 25 years old now. Got 'em on clearance for $20 bucks!

Fantastic looking boots. Any way you could list the exact specs. Trying to get ahold of their options.
On Bakers there is a form that you fill out. Baker's Horsehide Bounty Hunter by White's Boots | Baker's Boots & Clothing - https://www.bakershoe.com/product/bakers-horsehide-bounty-hunter-whites-boots

I selected from there: commando half sole, double stitched, medalion cap toe, no celastic, block heel, cream lining.. For specials like shell cordovan I spoke with Kyle. I initially ordered the double mid-sole but changed because the commando already has a leather underlay and with a double you end up with a sole about 7/8" thick. I think the single was a good pick. Sizing is also something that needs care. I used the tracing method and mailed the tracings to Kyle. The whole process takes about 10 weeks. I might have gone with single stitching since the double makes for a fairly wide sole area - a bit less dressy but very durable. Overall I like the look and feel of these - they are heavy but breaking in very easily compared to the Red Wings. I will be interested to see which is more comfortable once these are fully broken in.

On Bakers there is a form that you fill out. Baker's Horsehide Bounty Hunter by White's Boots | Baker's Boots & Clothing - https://www.bakershoe.com/product/bakers-horsehide-bounty-hunter-whites-boots

I selected from there: commando half sole, double stitched, medalion cap toe, no celastic, block heel, cream lining.. For specials like shell cordovan I spoke with Kyle. I initially ordered the double mid-sole but changed because the commando already has a leather underlay and with a double you end up with a sole about 7/8" thick. I think the single was a good pick. Sizing is also something that needs care. I used the tracing method and mailed the tracings to Kyle. The whole process takes about 10 weeks. I might have gone with single stitching since the double makes for a fairly wide sole area - a bit less dressy but very durable. Overall I like the look and feel of these - they are heavy but breaking in very easily compared to the Red Wings. I will be interested to see which is more comfortable once these are fully broken in.
Thanks , their build a boot helped as well. I was looking at thorogoods moc.toe as well but these are perfect. Gonna order.them in the spring, supposed to get a house first lol.

View attachment 1041117

View attachment 1041119

View attachment 1041120
Great looking hikers! I’m looking at getting a new pair. Can’t decide between Danner or Merrill....

Great looking hikers! I’m looking at getting a new pair. Can’t decide between Danner or Merrill....

Thanks. Those leather lined Lowas are soft as butter inside. The boots also come with Gortex and I opted not to put Gortex on my feet. Even though it is supposed to breath, I have heard that it really doesn't breath enough for feet. And my previous OneSport Moraine boots that lasted decades and climbed many ADK mountains as well as half of the Presidential Range in NH with full packs were leather lined without Gortex and they were fantastic. I would have bought them again but Montrail sold out to Columbia and you can guess what happened to their true backpacking/trekking boots. They stopped making them. The Lowa Tibets are a very beefy and stiff boot that provide a ton of support and are meant for carrying a fair amount of weight. Ironically, now that I'm approaching 60, I have yet to use them backpacking. But I still hope that I might have the opportunity to do some backpacking with my son before I can't walk anymore. And the Lowa's will get me there.

Thanks. Those leather lined Lowas are soft as butter inside. The boots also come with Gortex and I opted not to put Gortex on my feet. Even though it is supposed to breath, I have heard that it really doesn't breath enough for feet. And my previous OneSport Moraine boots that lasted decades and climbed many ADK mountains as well as half of the Presidential Range in NH with full packs were leather lined without Gortex and they were fantastic. I would have bought them again but Montrail sold out to Columbia and you can guess what happened to their true backpacking/trekking boots. They stopped making them. The Lowa Tibets are a very beefy and stiff boot that provide a ton of support and are meant for carrying a fair amount of weight. Ironically, now that I'm approaching 60, I have yet to use them backpacking. But I still hope that I might have the opportunity to do some backpacking with my son before I can't walk anymore. And the Lowa's will get me there.
You are not going to believe this! My only hikers were a pair of moraine Boots. I bought them in the mid 90’s. I put hundreds of miles on them out in the rockies and in Michigan. What great boots.

I had not been backpacking for a couple years and they sat in my close. I broke my ankle terribly a few years ago and to rehab it I put on the old boots and sta hiking a few local trails. One day, the whole sole fell off. Both boots within 10 yards of each other. Only the toe stayed attached. It was long couple miles back to the truck shuffling along. People I passed must have thought I was trying some new exercise shuffle step. They went to the final resting place in the dump that afternoon. The uppers were fine still. Great leather.

Anyhow, my son is 10 and we have some small hikes set for this summer. I need a new pair. Something that can be recrafted this time.

You are not going to believe this! My only hikers were a pair of moraine Boots. I bought them in the mid 90’s. I put hundreds of miles on them out in the rockies and in Michigan. What great boots.

I had not been backpacking for a couple years and they sat in my close. I broke my ankle terribly a few years ago and to rehab it I put on the old boots and sta hiking a few local trails. One day, the whole sole fell off. Both boots within 10 yards of each other. Only the toe stayed attached. It was long couple miles back to the truck shuffling along. People I passed must have thought I was trying some new exercise shuffle step. They went to the final resting place in the dump that afternoon. The uppers were fine still. Great leather.

Anyhow, my son is 10 and we have some small hikes set for this summer. I need a new pair. Something that can be recrafted this time.

Wow. Great coincidence. And yes, those Moraines were amazing boots. Hundreds of miles in NY's Adirondacks. And mine delaminated exactly as yours did, but while I was outside shoveling snow in front of my house, so I didn't have to suffer a long hike. Only one sole though. I assume if I continued wearing them the other one would do the same thing in short order. I actually found a bookmaker in the back of Backpacker Magazine who was highly recommended and could resole both boots for me. I seriously considered it but my feet had flattened out some and my toes were starting to feel the front of the boot sometimes. I figured I'd be better off getting a pair that properly fit my slightly larger feet.

Fantastic that you are going to take your son hiking. Mine is 16 and I started taking him camping in the ADKs when he was 8 or 9. We did canoe camping and I knew that at that age I'd be doing all the paddling. I was ok with that. We had some awesome experiences. And we kept going back each summer until he went away to summer camp, also in the Adirondacks. The canoe camping was great because the campsites we rented were isolated and located on small islands in Lower Saranac Lake. It allowed us to bring all sorts of stuff backpacking would not. And I bought bags of fire wood so we could have a nice fire at night. If I can get my butt in some sort of physical shape over this winter I would be willing to try backpacking with him. Have fun with your son. He'll remember those times for the rest of his life. And so will you.

Wow. Great coincidence. And yes, those Moraines were amazing boots. Hundreds of miles in NY's Adirondacks. And mine delaminated exactly as yours did, but while I was outside shoveling snow in front of my house, so I didn't have to suffer a long hike. Only one sole though. I assume if I continued wearing them the other one would do the same thing in short order. I actually found a bookmaker in the back of Backpacker Magazine who was highly recommended and could resole both boots for me. I seriously considered it but my feet had flattened out some and my toes were starting to feel the front of the boot sometimes. I figured I'd be better off getting a pair that properly fit my slightly larger feet.

Fantastic that you are going to take your son hiking. Mine is 16 and I started taking him camping in the ADKs when he was 8 or 9. We did canoe camping and I knew that at that age I'd be doing all the paddling. I was ok with that. We had some awesome experiences. And we kept going back each summer until he went away to summer camp, also in the Adirondacks. The canoe camping was great because the campsites we rented were isolated and located on small islands in Lower Saranac Lake. It allowed us to bring all sorts of stuff backpacking would not. And I bought bags of fire wood so we could have a nice fire at night. If I can get my butt in some sort of physical shape over this winter I would be willing to try backpacking with him. Have fun with your son. He'll remember those times for the rest of his life. And so will you.
Great story. I’m looking forward to backpacking again. Sone short level hikes for a night or two this year. We car camp s a family a lot, but I would love to get back in the mountains again in a couple years with him. My wife would never backpack. Canoe camping sounds fun too....

Top Bottom