What's new

Whipped dog brushes

That handle is really cool, looks just like ceramic. The knot looks to be packed nicely with some good badger too, I assume the density is decent?

it is some kind of ceramic. It is made out of clay, it is called Firehouse potters. It's
coloured and baked in owen. the brush is total masterpiece

What are your thoughts on these silver tip brushes? Seems to be very reasonably priced.

What size of brush should I consider?
- My existing brush is an AoS Pure Badger that came in the travel kit I purchased.
- I face lather and use mostly TOBS soap, Proraso Soap, AoS cream, and D.R.H. Soap.
- I the AoS brush is the only brush I have ever used, so not sure what there is to like or not like about it. It does seem to be a little "scratchy".
- I guess I am looking for a good face lathering brush that will work well with both soaps and creams. I would likely retire the AoS brush to the travel kit and use the new brush as my daily brush. I have no intention of becoming one of the brush a day guys. Just looking for a nice all around brush that will add a nice element to my morning routine.

Thanks

jojoc

$WD Brushes 1.jpgI own two whippeddogs they are 20 mm knots one black the other a silvertip. I did not get the handles drilled deeper and they do feel that would of made the brushes a but less floppy. They both create great lather and work well with soaps and creams.

Last edited:
Hard to tell what you will like. If you want to preserve the status quo (as your AOS) use the same specs but shorten the loft by 2-4mm.

My preference:22mm knot, 50mm loft. Or 24mm, 52mm loft.
Bowl and face lathering.

Thanks all for the feed back! Have an email in to Larry.
Leaning towards silvertip at 22/49 or 50.

Hopefully this will give me enough backbone and density for a luxurious face lathering experience but also still get some facial exfoliation.

Assuming I move forward, I will post a photo and update down the road.

(if I can find this thread again, given that my post was moved and added to this thread.)

Come on people post your Whipped Dog brushes pics, let us show everyone what a wizard Larry is. Show your Whipped Dog marvels.

$2012-07-26 19.45.42.jpg

Thats my girl! I like her wet.

22mm in Pure. A stunning looker. And also a good performer. I have several silvertips from Larry, but this remains a favourite! Of course she is. The only girl there!

:)

here is my 30mm Silvertip from Larry, it's set to 54mm with Firehouse handle and it is a joy to use. used it to facelather, bowl lather and hand lather, performed outstandingly in all circumstances!

Thank you Larry!

Attachments

• $P1060906.jpg
    $P1060906.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 172
I'm using a duke 3 @ knot 23~24mm, loft height 50mm
I find that it lather hog a bit.

Can anyone recommend what knot height should I ask Larry to do? I use croaps and soap and like to face lather.
and maybe something that is stiff enough but doesn't lather hog.

I also have a Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger. Not enough backbone.

Hope you guys can recommend me based on what I wante
stiff but doesn't lather hog.

Here are two pics of my 30mm Whipped Dog. The knot actually measures 32.5 mm, so you know it's a real beast of a brush. The tips are very, very soft and it has good backbone as well. This brush is very similar in size, softness and backbone to my Simpson Chubby 3 in Super (no, I am not kidding). It isn't quite as dense as my Chubby and it sheds a few hairs every now and then, but regardless, it is an amazing value. If you are saving your pennies to buy a Chubby 3, give this brush a try first. It is, by far, the best bargain in my collection.

Attachments

• $dog 1.jpg
    $dog 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 230
  • $dog knot.jpg
    $dog knot.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 227
I'll have to post a pic of mine. Just got it last night and used it. Amazing, amazing brush. It's a Silvertip 24mm set at 50. It did shed a few hairs to begin with but I expect that to settle down after a couple of uses. I love the density and softness of it.

I'm using a duke 3 @ knot 23~24mm, loft height 50mm
I find that it lather hog a bit.

Can anyone recommend what knot height should I ask Larry to do? I use croaps and soap and like to face lather.
and maybe something that is stiff enough but doesn't lather hog.

I also have a Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger. Not enough backbone.

Hope you guys can recommend me based on what I wante
stiff but doesn't lather hog.

If you want it to be 24mm I would recomend it to be set at 45mm top, maybe even lower st 40mm fir facelathering. I use my 30mm set at 54mm to facelather and it does amazing job. About hogging, these are large knots. They tend to keep much lather within, but they dispense just enough for each pass. Maybe you should try 22mm knot, ir even black badger for facelathering.

Hope I helped :biggrin1:

I received my Whipped Dog brush about 10 days ago, and really enjoy using it! A great quality brush!
24mm knot, resin handle. Had the knot sunk to 20mm, resulting in a 45mm loft. It does hold a lot of lather but it applies it just fine, so I have no issues with it as far as lather hogging is concerned.

$whipped-dog-24mm-resin__b.jpg$whipped-dog-24mm-resin__a.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom