What's new

Burma Shave vs EverReady C40 Dimensions

I wanted to restore another C40 for a travel brush but I saw one of these Burma Shave brushes online:
IMG_5329.jpeg

After some research it seems that the American Safety Razor Company owned both Burma Shave and EverReady and these Burma Shave brushes superseded the classic C40. Minus the black rim from the new cheaper knot, are the dimensions the same? If they are about the same quality I’ll try one of these out and replace the knot if it sucks. Visually it seems the black rim and lack of any lettering on the handle are the only differences, even the mold lines on the handle are the same as the original C40.

Ok, I twisted my own arm and got one of the Burma Shave brushes. After polishing the handle with sandpaper and flitz I compared the handle to my restored EverReady 150 (basically the same as a C40):
IMG_5364.jpeg
IMG_5365.jpeg
IMG_5367.jpeg
IMG_5368.jpeg

From what I’m seeing, these two handles are very similar if not exactly the same (Please note: the tape measure is not as accurate as calipers would be).

The joint between the two halves of the BS handle is slightly cocked but I don’t believe this will effect the handle much and I can fix it with epoxy if the joint ever fails:
IMG_5371.jpeg
IMG_5372.jpeg
I think the original EverReady handles were also made up of two halves so this is still a 1:1 duplicate in my opinion.

As far as the BS brush itself is concerned, it is my first boar brush and it’s actually pretty nice. It shed a little on the first try but it hasn’t since. The brush knot kinda looks like an Omega so I wonder if they are similar (aren’t the Omega knots also made in China?). If the knot ever fails I will put a synthetic knot in it and use it for travel. Hope this helps anyone else wondering about the similarities between the old EverReady brushes and the newer Burma Shave brushes!

Top Bottom