What's new

Which Western to Watch?

My film club ("FBC" - "Film + Beer + Cigars") is meeting this weekend. The meeting is at my house and we don't meet often so I want to make sure we are watching the best available. As I am not a connoisseur of westerns, what do you guys and gals think?

“
Stagecoach”, "The Searchers", "Destry Rides Again", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "High Noon", "My Darling Clementine"

If you really like a different movie than one of these, I'll accept your answer. Thank you.

Of the ones listed, my choice would be "High Noon".

My other favorite westerns are "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "Tombstone", and "Rio Bravo".

Ok i love jose whales and the good the bad the ugly . I am also fluent in spanish so i also like the mas called the devil these mexican in the begining of the show have guns but are fighting on horse back with machetes tgats just hard core

The Searchers is generally considered the quintessential western. John Ford is a wonderful director and the cinematography is outstanding. I would start there. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is also a John Ford movie. Jimmy Stewart is always great to watch. You really wouldn't go wrong with any of them but The Searcher is my vote! Enjoy!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Depends what kind of film you are after.

If you want the kind of "serious" film where at the end there is a silent pause and then someone says "damn ... good film", go with The Searchers. Alternate film: Hombre, staring Paul Newman.

If you want the end of the movie to be met with a few laughs and a "oh hell yeah!" then Rio Bravo. Alternate film: The Professionals (Lee Marvin et al.)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Of those listed: High Noon

But if it were me I would watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly or Josey Wales.
Beer, cigars, and Clint Eastwood? Does it get any better than that?

The Searchers is generally considered the quintessential western. John Ford is a wonderful director and the cinematography is outstanding. I would start there.

This....it's number one on AFI's list of the best westerns. I can attest to it. It's just an outstanding example of the genre from the classic era of westerns.
http://www.afi.com/10top10/western.html

My second choice on your list would be High Noon followed closely by The Man who Shot Liberty Valance.

Both have already been mentioned, but my personal favorites after The Searchers is Unforgiven and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Tombstone

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is a captivating performance.

The Outlaw Josey Wales.

My personal favorite for best overall Western.

Why don't you have a marathon and watch all of them? If one western is good...my goodness look at the goodness you have there. All those are excellent. Like The Duke...go with the film that made him a star...Stagecoach, one of the Duke's favorites, the Searchers. Like Henry Fonda...My Darling Clementine. One of the best westerns of all time not listed, the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, The uncut version.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Why don't you have a marathon and watch all of them? If one western is good...my goodness look at the goodness you have there. All those are excellent. Like The Duke...go with the film that made him a star...Stagecoach, one of the Duke's favorites, the Searchers. Like Henry Fonda...My Darling Clementine. One of the best westerns of all time not listed, the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, The uncut version.

I actually like the Spanish language version better: El Bueno, Malo, Feo.
I don't know why!

Top Bottom