What's new

Which soaps burn or irritate your face?

Dihydromyrcenol. It’s not in the ingredient list, but apparently is an important frag component of Green Irish Tweed copies. I believe it is also found in aquatic scents. Oddly, I have a sample of Creed Green Irish Tweed and it does not make my skin react like Sharp Dressed Man did.
Interesting, thanks! I looked it up and it's a chemical with a citrus scent.

Fortunately, only one soap has produced a proper burning sensation:

Body shop Macca Root

Alas, most soaps and creams give me a slight tingling sensation. It's never painful but it is noticeable to varying degrees:

Wickham which is super annoying because their scents are superb and Magnum is my all time favourite scent!
TOBS Sandalwood stick
TOBS (any cream other than Coconut)
D R Harris
Palmolive
Haslinger (tried 5 different scents)
La Toja
Arko
Vie Long
Stirling
Phoenix and Beau
Lavanda

The tingle doesn't prevent me from getting a great shave and the post-shave irritation is virtually non-existent. However, it does mean I don't reorder those soaps.

There are only 2 soaps that are utterly benign on my skin:
Proraso Green and White.

Fortunately, only one soap has produced a proper burning sensation:

Body shop Macca Root

Alas, most soaps and creams give me a slight tingling sensation. It's never painful but it is noticeable to varying degrees:

Wickham which is super annoying because their scents are superb and Magnum is my all time favourite scent!
TOBS Sandalwood stick
TOBS (any cream other than Coconut)
D R Harris
Palmolive
Haslinger (tried 5 different scents)
La Toja
Arko
Vie Long
Stirling
Phoenix and Beau
Lavanda

The tingle doesn't prevent me from getting a great shave and the post-shave irritation is virtually non-existent. However, it does mean I don't reorder those soaps.

There are only 2 soaps that are utterly benign on my skin:
Proraso Green and White.
Have you tried Proraso Blue?

Anything with mint in them if they stay on my face long enough will tingle. The basic Razorock offerings also do the same thing due to the scent. Haslinger Schafmilch was also terrible for me.

Thought I'd ask to see which soaps give you a slight warming or burning sensation or even cause irritation that just makes for an unpleasant shave, especially with each recurring pass.
I guess I just have somewhat sensitive skin, & perhaps it would help me to see who else has issues with certain soaps.

So far I have noticed this with:
-Stirling Barbershop
-Saint Charles Shave Fairway
-Lather Bros Calle Ocho
-B&M Seville (mild warming with increasing passes, but still manageable)
-Soap Commander Respect (mild warmth)
Stirling barbershop did the same thing to me. It's not really bad, but very uncomfortable and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite scents. I actually bought the barbershop cologne because it's so nice. I was thinking of trying again since it's been a few years.

Stirling barbershop did the same thing to me. It's not really bad, but very uncomfortable and it's a shame because it's one of my favorite scents. I actually bought the barbershop cologne because it's so nice. I was thinking of trying again since it's been a few years.
I also react a bit to Stirling barbershop but I find that mixing an unscented soap to barbershop in 1:1 ratio solves the issue. I love the smell so I take a bit more time to make it work, haha.

I got irritation and uneasy feel with Mint/ menthol scented creams like with :
> Shaving Station Cool Menthol
> Vinkam Aloe Vera (it has healthy mint kick in it)
I will absolutely try to avoid any soap with menthol, cooling effect as forward attribute.

I'd love to use them, but it's hard for me to justify risky purchase when I already have bad experience with said scents.

ToBS Sandalwood irritated my skin, but that disappeared and I have now not a single issue with it.

Otherwise there is a strange thing I have not ye nailed down. My skin seems to react to almond in shaving soaps/croaps such as valobra, cella or Trumper, but I have no issue at all with the Acca Kappa 1869...

That's not rare at all. Benzaldehyde or bitter almond oil is a fairly common skin irritant.

Shaving products and aftershaves shouldn't be overly scented. Sensitive skin among shavers is not rare. Many people will eventually develop sensitive skin if they shave aggressively day after day, that's just the nature of shaving. That's one reason aftershaves like Old Spice have been reformulated to meet new regulatory demands. Anything with clove or similar ingredients are notorious skin sensitizers.

All Stirling soaps regardless of the scent cause a burning feeling on my face. I have a couple Stirling soap scents that I love, but they only get very occasional use because of the burning. I have given all of my other Stirling soaps away except Ben Franklin and Christmas Eve.

I don't have this problem with any other soap I have used be it artisan or commercial. I love the performance of Stirling soaps but the burning is too much.

My experience is that they are fairly strongly scented, perhaps too much. The scent of Barber Shop lingered for hours, just from the soap. A shave soap should ideally have a scent more like Williams or Van Der Hagen- it gives the product a distinctive signature without lingering heavily once you are done shaving.

I've started to avoid soaps that seem to get trigger happy with the EOs/FOs after getting reactions from, but not limited to:

Body Shop Maca Root (old formulation)
TOBS
LPL
Razorock vegan base
Catie's Bubbles anything
A now defunct artisan linked with Catie's Bubbles..."SH" for short

I own soaps in both vegan and tallow bases from "SH", the tallow base I have zero issue with but the vegan base absolutely lights me on fire.

All of them also share one thing in common: they are all vegan, which has made me do a double take on every artisan soap that I'm looking to buy just to mitigate the risk of a wasted purchase. No tallow, no bueno. Not even Stirling Bay Rum, Executive Man or Arko warm my face in any way, so what gives?

Stirling Barbershop soap doesn’t really irritate me by itself. However, I do have the matching aftershave splash with menthol, and when I use both of them together, my face lights up on fire. I think the fragrance oils in the soap make my face tingle a little bit (I hardy even notice it), but as soon as that menthol from the splash hits, it gives me a harsh burning sensation followed by extreme redness.

The same exact thing happens to me with Stirling Dunshire. Little tingle while shaving, then the aftershave with menthol lights me up.

I will have to try the Barbershop or Dunshire aftershave splash with menthol, without using the matching soap to test my theory that the fragrance oils in the soap are causing me the issues.

Phoenix and Beau Albion.

Have had one for quite some time and remember it has always given me some burning sensation during shave. I had thoughts that it was because I was learning to shave and had some burn because of bad technique. Well, it's been sitting on my closet for half a year or something. Mean while I have tested a lot of different soaps with no problem at all.

Today I wanted to check Albion again and that familiar burn was there again, getting stronger every pass.
It was soap itself that was problem here. I binned it. I did not like scent anyway, just had it for it's nice performance.

Tobs sandalwood tub stings my face before the blade has even had a chance. And sometimes Palmolive cream stings a little bit, but not every time.

Top Bottom