What's new

Which shaving cream is used by the barbers in your respective countries?

Seeing this one more often over the last 6 months;

409E9E32-B37B-43C2-9761-DF606919255C.jpeg

Great topic that I've been thinking about asking here.

For those of you that have already posted. What country are you referring to?

The only barber I have ever been to in the USA. Just shaved the back of my neck with a shavette. He used a lather machine. I'm not sure what brands of soap/cream they can use?

One of these days I hope to get a straight razor shave on my face to see what that is like.

Last edited:
In Canada 95 percent of the time its been a lather machine(using Campbell's Shaving Cream mix) but there have been a few outliers

In the early 2000s when I was still in between being a man and a teenager the Barber's Chair in Square One mall would use American Crew Pre Shave oil which I would buy after and it became my first foray into Shaving products beyond canned goop. They also used Alum blocks at the end of the shaves.

I've gotten a shave from another Barber's Chair in Bramalea Mall that used a Shaving Cream that I absolutely cannot remember but it was a traditional cream the tub had a barber pole design on it and it smelled like peppermint. I feel the brand may have started with an S. They also ended the shave with Booster Polar Ice Aftershave which is/was used by alot of barbershops in Canada

Edit: It bothered me so much but I remember now. Stephen's Shaving Cream. Photo attached
SC5014.jpg

Last edited:
My (totally unfashionable) barber here in Portugal uses a no-name shaving cream that is sold in the Continente supermarket chain for the exorbitant price of €1.19 ($1.34) for a 150 ml tube.

That piqued my curiosity; I went and bought one, tried it, and it was surprisingly good.
In fact, so good that it is now part of my rotation.
Can’t help getting a kick out of something that performs much better than its price would suggest.

1639996068593.jpeg

I also recall that in Italy barbershops used Palmolive, Figaro and 500 ml Proraso or Vitos tubes.

Interestingly, all barbershops that I ever have been to used shaving creams and none used hard soaps.

B.

Last edited:
1640212772385.png

Baking soda! Well, not really. It's actually shaving soap in powder form and the only one I've seen being used in barbershops here in Greece. Not a cream but I wanted to share regardless. Splendid is the name of the soap, written in Greek letters.

The translation of the label:

"This soap of excellent quality makes copious amounts of thick foam/lather, softens the hair/whiskers and is economical as a small amount is sufficient for the shave.

It's about 2-3 euros for a bottle of 200grams.

My (totally unfashionable) barber here in Portugal uses a no-name shaving cream that is sold in the Continente supermarket chain for the exorbitant price of €1.19 ($1.34) for a 150 ml tube.

That piqued my curiosity; I went and bought one, tried it, and it was surprisingly good.
In fact, so good that it is now part of my rotation.
Can’t help getting a kick out of something that performs much better than its price would suggest.

View attachment 1381103

I also recall that in Italy barbershops used Palmolive, Figaro and 500 ml Proraso or Vitos tubes.

Interestingly, all barbershops that I ever have been to used shaving creams and none used hard soaps.
I suspect that MYLABEL cream is made by a contract manufacturer who is looking for orders! I dont think he could be more obvious - unless he named his cream "Your Brand Here"

Yes, Ive noticed that barbers prefer creams to soap. I suspect that performance is all that matters to them, not scent.

View attachment 1382469
Baking soda! Well, not really. It's actually shaving soap in powder form and the only one I've seen being used in barbershops here in Greece. Not a cream but I wanted to share regardless. Splendid is the name of the soap, written in Greek letters.

The translation of the label:

"This soap of excellent quality makes copious amounts of thick foam/lather, softens the hair/whiskers and is economical as a small amount is sufficient for the shave.

It's about 2-3 euros for a bottle of 200grams.
How does it work? Dust the wet brush or put in a bowl with some water?

Top Bottom