What's new

Which SE razor to start with?

Hi everyone,

I've been shaving with a DE razor for about the past 6 months and I love it (Muhle R89). Before discovering this forum I had never even heard of a single edge razor but after reading about them I'm desperate to try one. I really like the look of the Gem Micromatics but I read that these are not a good SE to begin with. Is this true? Which one would be better for me to start with? Also, I'm in Ireland so there's no way I could just find one which means I'm going to have to buy it on here or ebay, is there anything in particular I should avoid or look out for? Thanks for any help! :001_smile

Martin

Hello Martin,

Congrats on you interest in SE razors. Many of us here really love them. I'm sure you'll get a lot of other input, but in my experience, while the Micromatics are great shavers, they are more aggressive and have a longer learning curve than other options.

My suggestion would be a 1912 patent model (especially the Damaskeene model with the curved head). They are great shavers, relatively forgiving, easy to find and inexpensive. Other good choices would be the G-Bar, Featherweight, Push Button and Contour.

Good luck and report back with your experiences.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Hello Martin,

Congrats on you interest in SE razors. Many of us here really love them. I'm sure you'll get a lot of other input, but in my experience, while the Micromatics are great shavers, they are more aggressive and have a longer learning curve than other options.

My suggestion would be a 1912 patent model (especially the Damaskeene model with the curved head). They are great shavers, relatively forgiving, easy to find and inexpensive. Other good choices would be the G-Bar, Featherweight, Push Button and Contour.

Good luck and report back with your experiences.

+1 Ditto.

I recently bought an Ever-Ready 1924, Micromatic Clog Pruf and Micromatic Open Comb and was advised to use the 1924 for my first SE shave. The shave went well. Perhaps a 1924 would be a good option also. Worked ok for me. :001_smile

I recently bought an Ever-Ready 1924, Micromatic Clog Pruf and Micromatic Open Comb and was advised to use the 1924 for my first SE shave. The shave went well. Perhaps a 1924 would be a good option also. Worked ok for me. :001_smile

The 1924 is a decent starter razor as well IMO. I do prefer the others on my list, since I personally find the 1924 a bit more awkward to load and find the handles too short for maximum comfort.

The 1924 handle on mine must be a travel version. It's only approx 2 inches in length. Very awkward.

Top Bottom