What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

I assume you apply the witch hazel and the Osage rub after you shower.

Yes. Dry shave, shower, dry off, mentholated witch hazel as my aftershave every time, finish getting dressed, and I'm done. I liberally apply the osage rub on date nights as it has a light scent but doesn't aggravate my wife's scent sensitive nose, I also keep a small spray bottle of it in my car and give a spritz or two throughout the day. Besides that the mentholated witch hazel is technically my only aftershave.

Yes. Dry shave, shower, dry off, mentholated witch hazel as my aftershave every time, finish getting dressed, and I'm done. I liberally apply the osage rub on date nights as it has a light scent but doesn't aggravate my wife's scent sensitive nose, I also keep a small spray bottle of it in my car and give a spritz or two throughout the day. Besides that the mentholated witch hazel is technically my only aftershave.
If the Phillips Norelco One blade gives you a close shave without irritation, why use the witch hazel or the Osage after showering?

If the Phillips Norelco One blade gives you a close shave without irritation, why use the witch hazel or the Osage after showering?

I have naturally oily skin so I use the mentholated witch hazel on my face and neck even if I didn't shave that day or even if I'm growing a beard. It's a utility product for me... Prevents blemishes, keeps my oily nose at bay, cleans behind my ears really well, and cleans off the silicone plugs I wear in my ears really well. The Osage rub is exactly what I mentioned, light cologne and for it's strong menthol (I am a brewery sales rep who spends most of his time walking from bar to bar in the Florida sun).

So do I need aftershave products with the oneblade? No. But I use these two products regardless of what I shaved with or if I didn't even shave at all. What the oneblade has done is cause me to sell off all of my razors, brushes, creams/soaps, fancy aftershaves, etc. This was fun but I blew an absurd amount of money over many years to spend 30+ mins everyday to still have a crappy shave due to my picky skin and hair. I can zip this bad boy around my face dry for 3-5 mins (depending on level of growth), slap on some witch hazel, and walk out the door with a clean shave, no ingrowns, and a smile on my face for the first time in my life.

My Braun Series-7 comfortably removed 4-day's growth. Followed up with the AV Ice Blue and I am irritation free, and 99.9% BBS. It was a very enjoyable shave last night.
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Is the Braun your everyday shaver? How long have you used it?
I've actually shaved with it the last four days, for the first time in years! I bought this shaver some time around 2010, used it sporadically over the first year of ownership and then set it aside. The wet\dry capability made it easy to clean, which was and is a big plus and it does feel substantial and is comfortable to use. However, it just didn't seem to shave me close enough to justify replacing the cartridge razor (Mach 3) that I was using at the time.

Now that I'm head shaving, I decided to give it another try. Considering that I hadn't used it in at least a half a decade, I gave it a two hour charge and it hasn't needed to go back to the cord yet. The shaves are pretty much as I remembered, basic hair reduction and nowhere near DFS or BBS. But it is still early! Unlike before, I will stick with this exclusively over the next three weeks to see if the performance improves. If I eventually achieve a solid DFS shave with the Series 3, I'll be very pleased.

I've actually shaved with it the last four days, for the first time in years! I bought this shaver some time around 2010, used it sporadically over the first year of ownership and then set it aside. The wet\dry capability made it easy to clean, which was and is a big plus and it does feel substantial and is comfortable to use. However, it just didn't seem to shave me close enough to justify replacing the cartridge razor (Mach 3) that I was using at the time.

Now that I'm head shaving, I decided to give it another try. Considering that I hadn't used it in at least a half a decade, I gave it a two hour charge and it hasn't needed to go back to the cord yet. The shaves are pretty much as I remembered, basic hair reduction and nowhere near DFS or BBS. But it is still early! Unlike before, I will stick with this exclusively over the next three weeks to see if the performance improves. If I eventually achieve a solid DFS shave with the Series 3, I'll be very pleased.
To get a great shave with an electric shaver you have to use it exclusively for about three weeks to allow your beard and skin to become accustomed to the shaver. If you are expecting a BBS shave you will be disappointed. I haven’t shaved with a blade in many years and recall being able to get a slightly closer shave with a blade. However, I get a very close shave with my Braun series seven and the advantage of not nicking myself along with the speed, convenience and ease of electric shaving makes up for the minimal difference in closeness.

You also may not get a smooth shave if you have a medium to heavy beard. The Series-3 was made for men, or young shavers with light beards. If you are shaving your face, and head, I recommend you try a Series-5, or 7 Shaver.

Clayton

You also may not get a smooth shave if you have a medium to heavy beard. The Series-3 was made for men, or young shavers with light beards. If you are shaving your face, and head, I recommend you try a Series-5, or 7 Shaver.

Clayton

I’m amazed that the shaver battery even took a charge after so many years. Although the series three is not the top of the Braun line he should be able to get a very close shave. Looking at the lower end models of Braun shavers they resemble the foil shavers that Braun produced and that I used for all the years I have been using a foil shaver. They don’t have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive shavers but it should produce a good result. The motor may run slower requiring a longer time to shave and the foils may not adjust to your face contours as easily requiring keeping the foils at ninety degrees to the skin and requiring more passes are probably the major differences.

To get a great shave with an electric shaver you have to use it exclusively for about three weeks to allow your beard and skin to become accustomed to the shaver. If you are expecting a BBS shave you will be disappointed. I haven’t shaved with a blade in many years and recall being able to get a slightly closer shave with a blade. However, I get a very close shave with my Braun series seven and the advantage of not nicking myself along with the speed, convenience and ease of electric shaving makes up for the minimal difference in closeness.
Yes, this definitely makes sense, that there is some conditioning that takes place with hair and beard with continuity in using the same gear (seems to apply to both razors and electric shavers). I'm planning on giving the Series 3 a good one month's use and then make an assessment then.

Clayton

I never realized that the Series 3 is geared to light bearded shavers! Admittedly my focus when I originally purchased the shaver was ease of cleaning. Many years earlier (1990's) I had a small Remington that was an absolute PIA to clean out the coils and foil. Also price point (around $40 at the time) was right, with the Series 5 and 7 being more than twice the cost. From some third party reviewers of the Series 3, the assessment seems to be that it's important to use it daily, as it tends to struggle with 3 plus days of normal growth.

I'll stick with the Series 3/340 and give it a fair run. My beard varies in spots from light to thick, so my overall results may end up a bit patchy. If I end up liking the electric shave experience, I'll definitely look to upgrade to a higher model.

I’m amazed that the shaver battery even took a charge after so many years. Although the series three is not the top of the Braun line he should be able to get a very close shave. Looking at the lower end models of Braun shavers they resemble the foil shavers that Braun produced and that I used for all the years I have been using a foil shaver. They don’t have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive shavers but it should produce a good result. The motor may run slower requiring a longer time to shave and the foils may not adjust to your face contours as easily requiring keeping the foils at ninety degrees to the skin and requiring more passes are probably the major differences.
Thanks Flyboybob, this is good information! Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised that the battery is holding a charge after many years of disuse. Not that I've had much exposure to various electric shavers, this Series 3 feels solid and well built.

I just finished my 5th shave with the Braun Series 3 and I'm finally putting it back on the charger. Five full head and face shaves, 80 to 100 minutes run time. Not bad for an eight plus year old battery! So far my head shaves are turning out a bit closer than my face shaves, but the results overall are decent. The big difference so far is with my skin, which looks far less rough and irritated, now that a blade isn't running across it.

I just finished my 5th shave with the Braun Series 3 and I'm finally putting it back on the charger. Five full head and face shaves, 80 to 100 minutes run time. Not bad for an eight plus year old battery! So far my head shaves are turning out a bit closer than my face shaves, but the results overall are decent. The big difference so far is with my skin, which looks far less rough and irritated, now that a blade isn't running across it.
That battery is doing great. I’m amazed that I get 16 days of shaving when the red light illumiates. I then get an additional two days of shaves before I charge it up. I never have run it completely dead. Besides the propensity I have for nicking my face with a blade, I have no roughness nor irritation using an electric shaver which I get when shaving wet. Are you using the Braun dry or wet?

The reason your head shaves are closer than your face is because your head doesn’t have any angled surfaces like your jawline. I find that I have to shave basically twice. I first shave up and down on every part and the go back over the same area left and right. To get the beard on and under my jawline I stretch my skin upward pulling the skin up onto my my cheeks and chin while moving the shaver up and down and again when moving it left and right. Also, the skin on your head is probably fairly taught while your skin on your face is looser. I use moderate pressure on areas that are not flat such as my neck to ensure the beard gets through the screens. I don’t use excessive pressure which would make the screens feel hot to the touch.

I also shave first thing when I awaken before washing my face or showering. The screens glide smoother over dry skin and I get a closer shave then after showering.

That battery is doing great. I’m amazed that I get 16 days of shaving when the red light illumiates. I then get an additional two days of shaves before I charge it up. I never have run it completely dead. Besides the propensity I have for nicking my face with a blade, I have no roughness nor irritation using an electric shaver which I get when shaving wet. Are you using the Braun dry or wet?
That is great battery performance! I'm strictly using it dry now. My routine is to shave prior to showering, just applying some Williams Lectric shave first, shave my head and face and then wash off the pre-shave in the shower.

The reason your head shaves are closer than your face is because your head doesn’t have any angled surfaces like your jawline. I find that I have to shave basically twice. I first shave up and down on every part and the go back over the same area left and right. To get the beard on and under my jawline I stretch my skin upward pulling the skin up onto my my cheeks and chin while moving the shaver up and down and again when moving it left and right. Also, the skin on your head is probably fairly taught while your skin on your face is looser. I use moderate pressure on areas that are not flat such as my neck to ensure the beard gets through the screens. I don’t use excessive pressure which would make the screens feel hot to the touch.

I also shave first thing when I awaken before washing my face or showering. The screens glide smoother over dry skin and I get a closer shave then after showering.
This makes sense! My scalp is much tauter than my pudgy face, so the excess stubble on my jaw and neck area is no doubt due to that. I do stretch my skin downward while shaving my jaw line, so I'll try stretching the opposite direction and see if that improves the results.

That is great battery performance! I'm strictly using it dry now. My routine is to shave prior to showering, just applying some Williams Lectric shave first, shave my head and face and then wash off the pre-shave in the shower.[/QUOTE
That is great battery performance! I'm strictly using it dry now. My routine is to shave prior to showering, just applying some Williams Lectric shave first, shave my head and face and then wash off the pre-shave in the shower.

Top Bottom