What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

And a Series 9 today....

20190620_104850.jpg

This shaver reminds me of the Braun/Eltron shavers I used in the early 1980s except this one has a rechargeable battery rather than plug in only. The switch and the trimmer look like they haven’t changed much. The Braun/Eltron of those years were more rectangular in shape. If it works for you that’s great.

We did need this thread. I do enjoy using my manual razors, but I enjoy my electric shavers just as much. With proper pre/post prep they shave shave just as well and I never suffer any skin irritation.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Can you tell me how good is that xiaomi razor? Do they sell replacement blades for them?

It shaves quite well. But my chin area has sensitive skin and gets irritated of this electric razor. Especially when shaving dry. That is reason I'm moving towards DE and even shavette.
Replacement head is avalable at Ali.

It shaves quite well. But my chin area has sensitive skin and gets irritated of this electric razor. Especially when shaving dry. That is reason I'm moving towards DE and even shavette.

Thanks for answering. I've seen quite a lot of generic eletric razors on amazon under some strange names, but I assumed that xiaomi has replacement blades for its razor.

Try some talcum powder on your face before you dry shave. Don't go over your chin multiple times as doing this will surely cause irritation. If your face looks clean shaven in the mirror but still feels rough stop shaving and wait 30 minutes. Your stubble well have receded below skin level and your face will feel smooth. This is because most rotary shavers have what's called lift and cut. It work's on the same principle as Gillette's Trac-II Cartridge Razor.

Clayton

@Chevyguy Very true about waiting. My shave with electric lasts about 2-3 min, it's SAS but it's good enough in the morning.

Now with all this talk I went to shave so here it is. Previously I wasn't a fan of that razor nor this cream but now I like this setup.
Prep; local brand hands soap and hot water
Razor; Phillips HQ6906 (HQ56 heads)
AS: cold water and nivea man cream

proxy.php

Thanks, actually my friend has phillips rotary for around 6-7 years of straight use, and still going strong, he hasn't changed blades since he bought it. I will on mine in around 2 years since mine was a cheap one

Try some talcum powder on your face before you dry shave. Don't go over your chin multiple times as doing this will surely cause irritation. If your face looks clean shaven in the mirror but still feels rough stop shaving and wait 30 minutes. Your stubble well have receded below skin level and your face will feel smooth. This is because most rotary shavers have what's called lift and cut. It work's on the same principle as Gillette's Trac-II Cartridge Razor.

Clayton

Thank for good advice. I am seeking relief mainly from DE shaving. Mixed results... Still learning... But I feel I am on rigth way !

Thanks, actually my friend has phillips rotary for around 6-7 years of straight use, and still going strong, he hasn't changed blades since he bought it. I will on mine in around 2 years since mine was a cheap one
I have seen some youtube videos where some guys sharpen their electric razors blades to postpone buying repalcement blades,

Resharpen them Bookie. Here's what I use. Amazon, or Ebay sell them.

Clayton
proxy.php

I have seen some youtube videos where some guys sharpen their electric razors blades to postpone buying repalcement blades,

Resharpen them Bookie. Here's what I use. Amazon, or Ebay sell them.

Clayton
proxy.php

My razor was around 260 HRK ($40) and replacemnts heads were around the same price. However I found some on ali with good reviews for $4 and since I lost original brush, that same brush is included.
@Chevyguy thanks for the advice, I will search for them on ebay.
I have been comparing reviews for both replacement heads and this sharpeners. Initally replacement heads had good revies but updated reviews sucked. I think I'll go with Vollco

Last edited:
:laugh: Sure does Bob.

Maybe not BBS, but perfectly acceptable AND QUICK.
It goes to show that if the basic design is correct you don’t need all the extra bells and whistles.
Phillips recommends replacing the heads and blades every four months which seems too frequently. I may have changed the blades in the Norelco only once in the ten years I used it. It’s been a long time, but I remember that the blades were advertised as self sharpening. I suspect that all the manufacturers recommend changing the blades/cutters and screens more frequently than is really necessary to boost their profits.

I have never changed the cutters nor the screens on my Panasonic ES8103 in five years. Panasonic recommends changing them annually. In the last couple of months of use the cutter began to lose it’s sharpness as well as the battery losing it’s ability to hold a charge. I probably should have replaced the cutter after about 36 months since the cutter and the screens are sold separately. My Braun 7893s has a warning light which illuminates after 18 months as a reminder to replace the combined cutter/screen cassette. When it illuminates I will have to decide if it really needs to be changed based on the condition of the screens and the quality of the shaves.

Top Bottom