What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

One of the specific reasons I love the Panasonic Arc-5. It has a special vibratory cleaning mode that just uses whatever liquid soap or foam you have on hand. No station/refills/revenue stream required. My Norelco 4100 just gets rinsed with soapy water and does just fine too.
I agree with you. I always cleaned my Panasonic ES8103 using the cleaning mode under running water. After all, an electric shaver doesn’t have to be sterilized because it’s cutting your own hair similar to using a pair is scissors.

They don't waste that much electricity and I make my own cleaning solution.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
The Braun 7893s doesn’t come with a plastic cap. The owner’s manual recommends leaving the cutter/screen cassette off the shaver to dry out after shaving wet or rinsing. Therefore, to protect the screens I store the shaver in the travel case and cuttings leaked out through the screen into the case. So, I have decided to go old school and just tap out, on the sink counter, the cuttings from the cutter/cassette onto toilet tissue after each shave. Then, I brush out the cuttings from the top of the shaver with the supplied brush.

Also, Braun recommends applying light machine oil on the screens and trimmer occasionally if you shave wet or rinse the shaver with water. The owner’s manual states that brushing out the shaver and shaving dry doesn’t require using any oil. Prior to shavers which were water proof, I have used screen type shavers for over 40 years and cleaned them daily using a brush and never had any problems.

The Braun 7893s doesn’t come with a plastic cap. The owner’s manual recommends leaving the cutter/screen cassette off the shaver to dry out after shaving wet or rinsing. Therefore, to protect the screens I store the shaver in the travel case and cuttings leaked out through the screen into the case. So, I have decided to go old school and just tap out, on the sink counter, the cuttings from the cutter/cassette onto toilet tissue after each shave. Then, I brush out the cuttings from the top of the shaver with the supplied brush.

Also, Braun recommends applying light machine oil on the screens and trimmer occasionally if you shave wet or rinse the shaver with water. The owner’s manual states that brushing out the shaver and shaving dry doesn’t require using any oil. Prior to shavers which were water proof, I have used screen type shavers for over 40 years and cleaned them daily using a brush and never had any problems.
I rinse out the shaving cartridge after I shave and set it out on the countertop to dry. In the evening it all goes back together and then goes into the cleaning unit to be cleaned/lubed, and charged for the next morning. The cleaning units do a more thorough cleaning of the cartridge than just rinsing it. I pre-rinse mainly so that my cleaning solution stays cleaner longer.

Clayton

Wow, I’m surprised that the motor was going out. I can understand that the lithium ion batteries fail after a few years but not the motor. Where were you able to find the open box series 9 and a new handle for the series 7 at such a low price? After all the handle contains most of the working parts of the shaver.
Walmart for the Series-9, and shavers-and-replacement-parts.com for the series-7 replacement handle. I think water got into the original handle somehow.

Clayton

Walmart for the Series-9, and shavers-and-replacement-parts.com for the series-7 replacement handle. I think water got into the original handle somehow.

Clayton

Although, Braun claims the series 7 shaver is waterproof to 50 meters depth, dry shaving and cleaning would prevent leakage.

I rinse out the shaving cartridge after I shave and set it out on the countertop to dry. In the evening it all goes back together and then goes into the cleaning unit to be cleaned/lubed, and charged for the next morning. The cleaning units do a more thorough cleaning of the cartridge than just rinsing it. I pre-rinse mainly so that my cleaning solution stays cleaner longer.

Clayton

WOW! You are Mr. Clean.

How old is that Braun shaver and do you still use it?
Hey Bob, this thread is called "Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today?" :laugh:

That answers your second question. :wink2:

Regarding the first question (How old is that Braun shaver?), I purchased it in October 2016 to replace my decades old Series 3 which had started to lose its charge. The ancient Series 3 and the new (still being produced) Series 1 are virtually identical.

Happy shaving... and do post some SOTD pics please. :001_smile

Guilt!! I bought a Panasonic ARC5 electric a month before I started wet shaving 4 months ago. It sits there on my shelf and I never use it (kind of an expensive purchase). As a whim, I got into wet shaving thinking it would just be ok - but I got hooked on it. Its the sensory stimulation of wet shaving. Feel, smell, touch, and even sounds of the hair being cut. It is extremely relaxing and joyful. I love the variation of it every day - depending on my razor, blade, pre-shave, and cream. It is never the same and I enjoy that..I am not one that is looking for the "perfect shave". I love the ritual of it all. My wife gets a kick out of me doing it every morning. My Panasonic did a great job of shaving - 99% as close as wet shaving - but felt mechanical and left my skin dry. (the side benefit of wet shaving is your facial skin becomes very healthy and moist and my face looks younger for it!) . The electric shaver sits every day losing its charge as it is a reminder that shaving is not a chore or a nuisance, but an art form and something that brings joy with wet shaving. I keep the Panasonic as something maybe someday I might use periodically - we will see. (I have 4 razors, have used 26 different blades so far, use 5 different creams/soaps, 4 different preshaves, and 6 different AS's. It's fun.

Guilt!! I bought a Panasonic ARC5 electric a month before I started wet shaving 4 months ago. It sits there on my shelf and I never use it (kind of an expensive purchase). As a whim, I got into wet shaving thinking it would just be ok - but I got hooked on it. Its the sensory stimulation of wet shaving. Feel, smell, touch, and even sounds of the hair being cut. It is extremely relaxing and joyful. I love the variation of it every day - depending on my razor, blade, pre-shave, and cream. It is never the same and I enjoy that..I am not one that is looking for the "perfect shave". I love the ritual of it all. My wife gets a kick out of me doing it every morning. My Panasonic did a great job of shaving - 99% as close as wet shaving - but felt mechanical and left my skin dry. (the side benefit of wet shaving is your facial skin becomes very healthy and moist and my face looks younger for it!) . The electric shaver sits every day losing its charge as it is a reminder that shaving is not a chore or a nuisance, but an art form and something that brings joy with wet shaving. I keep the Panasonic as something maybe someday I might use periodically - we will see. (I have 4 razors, have used 26 different blades so far, use 5 different creams/soaps, 4 different preshaves, and 6 different AS's. It's fun.
Try a wetshave with your Panasonic. Wetshaving is where they really shine.

Clayton

Try a wetshave with your Panasonic. Wetshaving is where they really shine.

Clayton

Like I said, I am not trying to get the "best / perfect" shave..I did try wet shaving with the Panasonic . was not enjoyable at all and just didn't do it for me. If I was in a hurry every morning and just wanted to shave fast - I would probably use the electric more and sometimes use it wet..but I am retired, so enjoy the ritual of DE wet shaving... thanks for your input.

Hey Bob, this thread is called "Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today?" :laugh:

That answers your second question. :wink2:

Regarding the first question (How old is that Braun shaver?), I purchased it in October 2016 to replace my decades old Series 3 which had started to lose its charge. The ancient Series 3 and the new (still being produced) Series 1 are virtually identical.

Happy shaving... and do post some SOTD pics please. :001_smile
Thanks, I haven’t figured out how to start a thread on this forum.

I like to take care of my gear. I see and read about people who don't and then complain about a product when it doesn't work right or it breaks.

Clayton

That makes sense. However, I have been using screen type electric shavers since the 1960s and they lasted for many years by only brushing out the cuttings. They were all AC plug in shavers and there were no batteries to go bad. The only maintenance they required was to replace the screens and cutters when they wore out. They were not designed to be washed with water.

That makes sense. However, I have been using screen type electric shavers since the 1960s and they lasted for many years by only brushing out the cuttings. They were all AC plug in shavers and there were no batteries to go bad. The only maintenance they required was to replace the screens and cutters when they wore out. They were not designed to be washed with water.
I had a triple foil A/C plug in Remington and it shaved ok but it wore out foils fast. That was around 1996. Electric shavers have really improved alot over the years.

WOW! I shave because beards itch and mine grows curly and I don’t like the look. For years when I flew jet airplanes I couldn’t have a beard because the emergency oxygen mask in the cockpit his to fit snugly to your face in the event of a rapid decompression. My mustache is all that remains of my 1968 hippie period beard.

My electric razor is a high tech tool that serves a useful purpose.

I had a triple foil A/C plug in Remington and it shaved ok but it wore out foils fast. That was around 1996. Electric shavers have really improved alot over the years.

I had a double foil Remington in the early 2,000s that also wore out the foils and the cutters would corrode quickly. I was replacing them about every six weeks and finally trashed it and bought a Panasonic ES8103. The original Panasonic cutters and screens lasted the entire five years that I owned the shaver and I shaved it daily. In April the battery begain to lose it’s ability to hold a charge and the cutters finally stopped giving me a really close shave. I just replaced the entire shaver with a Braun 7893s.

proxy.php
Xiami Mija razor, unnamed brush, unnamed soap.

Attachments

• xiami mia.jpg
    xiami mia.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 11
Very impressive photo. What are the products in the jar and in the bottle?

Tallow + Steel's "Sicily" - soap & AS. Very impressed with their products, and they're rapidly rising to the level of my other favorites - B&M, A&E, Shannon's, GFT - and I find myself reaching for them more often. Beautiful lather, intriguing scents, wonderful soothing AS. Not a strict DE, rotary or foil electric shaver, my shaving routine is always exactly the same except for what I shave with - brush, scuttle, pre-shave, artisan soap and AS. There are advantages to each of them, and depending on the day and how I feel is what I reach for - I get as much satisfaction - and frankly as good a shave - whether I use my Timeless Titanium, Rex or Blackbird, the Norelco Prestige shown, or my Braun Series 9 or Panasonic LV. Close doesn't even factor in - I stopped chasing BBS a long time ago - and any of the above instruments will deliver a close (enough), comfortable, smooth shave any day of the week. All wet shaving, hence my membership in the Brotherhood here - cheers!

Top Bottom